Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players: Grim and Al
Playing Time: 2 hours(with interruptions)

I got Tikal for my birthday from some friends (Lou & Tim), so Al and I set up for a game before the others were due to arrive. We'd played it before some time ago, but we still needed a refresher of the rules. After that we got underway, and because I was the oldest I had to go first.

In the early phase of the game I was lucky enough to find a few treasure sites, so I picked up quite a number of treasures early on... this meant that at the first scoring round I was marginally ahead.

Al scored 3 for treasures and 7 for temples, for a total of 10, where as I scored 8 for treasures and only 4 for temples, totalling 12.

Throughout later phases I continued to score more for treasures, whilst Al beat me on temples, but never by enough to catch up with me.

At the second scoring round Al had 11 and 31, bringing his total to 51, whilst I got 18 and 27 for a total of 57.

In the third scoring round al had 13 and 48 moving him on to 113, whlist I had 20 and 41 to bring my total to 118.

In the final phase Al was desperately trying to outscore me on temples to claw his way back, so he expended a lot of explorers to cap the 10 point temple so that I would not score it... this left him without so many explorers, which made it easier for me to control other, smaller temples..

At the final scoring round Al had 18 for treasures and 53 for temples. I managed 22 for treasures, but only 51 for temples. Overall then, I won with 191 points, whilst Al was second with 184.

Tikal is an excellent tile-placement, exploration and area control game, that actually works pretty well with only 2 players. It does require plenty of thought and planning, though it is by no means a brain burner. I originally rated the game 8.5 after a couple of plays, though I expect that will go up after a few more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.