Hide
7 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: A-Wing Swarm option w/ Rebel Aces? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chud Darook
msg tools
Does anyone think that we will see a viable option of an A-Wing swarm now that Rebel Aces will give us Chaardan Refit?

The new pilot isn't half bad leading 6 total A-Wings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Will Rebel Aces breathe new life into a-wings? Absolutely. Will we see A-wing swarms? Doubtful. Points weren't the only problem, They still only have 2 attack dice, which is not going to cut it. They still need a little help with offensive capabilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chud Darook
msg tools
I thought that with getting two shields and access to a solid list of equipment that the 15pt A-Wings would come close to the 12pt TIE Fighters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Grohl
msg tools
cdarracq28 wrote:
I thought that with getting two shields and access to a solid list of equipment that the 15pt A-Wings would come close to the 12pt TIE Fighters.

What equipment exactly? They give up the missile for the Chardaan Refit and they don't have an EPT at 15 points. Plus two shields does not a Howlrunner make, and the swarm is of questionable viability without her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how competitive it'll be, but 5 Green Squadrons with PtL and Chaardan might be a fun thing. Certainly would be frustrating to fly against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
A-wings will still have trouble against high agility targets. Using 5 or 6 A-wings will not remedy that weakness. It's why BBBAA is effective, the B's compliment the A-wings weakness with big guns while the A's provide a bit of maneuverability to an otherwise very slow, predictable list.

Chardran refit will make BBAAA much more interesting as it free's up 4 pts for any of the following:

Blue Squadron + FCS x2
Blue Squadron
Prototype x 2 + Chadraan
100 pts

Biggs
Blue Squadron x 2
Prototype x 2 + Chadraan
99 pts

Dutch + R7-T1
Blue Squadron x 2
Prototype x 2 + Chadraan
100 pts

Tala Squadron x 2
Blue Squadron x 2
Prototype x 2 + Chadraan

Roark + Ion Cannon Turret + Intel Agent
Blue Squadron x 2
Prototype x 2 + Chadraan
99 pts.

I'll be interested to see how the new rebel swarm plays, but my gut says that it still won't be as effective as a Howlrunner-led TIE swarm .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability to PtL for a target lock and focus might make up for it. It's the Z-95 swarms I don't see working out well, since 2 agility just isn't enough. That's something people learned the hard way with Attack Wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.