Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We, Johnny and me, are working on two expansions called "The Dummy" and "Bandits".

The Dummy is a card driven prospector who sometimes helps players and sometimes just goes for gold. If you include him to the game you can play with 2 players or even with one player who is controlling a team of 2 prospectors.

The Bandits pop up in the valley. Every turn when someone digs up gold they also go for gold by blocking tiles and carrying gold to their camp.

At the moment we have much fun including these to our games but before going to a hard print run we need feedback to the balance, possible exploits and more.

If someone who has got already the second edition likes to test and comment on an alpha version of one or both expansions just write a private post to me and I sent a link to a pdf with rules and tiles for pnp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playtesting these guys as well and are very big fans of the expansion!

very fun changes to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the step to write a mail is a bit high. For example I'd feel responsible to really pnp that dirty thing and to write a meaty comment.

Thus to make it easier and a bit hidden to me I uploaded the files to my public dropbox. As I'm changing things regularily I don't like to put em in the bgg file section at this moment. Instead I'll paste a new link in this forum every time I make a new version with some hints and ideas about the changes.

So here are the first 2 files:

The Dummy:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PIhVIlwU74dztL3rdJMTyMELHh...

Bandits:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zVqn6DOrzi1mTOhcQ-ZTscKVc5...

Any comments are welcome.

Beside telling me how bad my English sounds and that scripted chars are just boring there are some questions and ideas for testing from my side beneath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see the new expansions are for 6 and up:

Next time they'll fight by using sharp-edged rhombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like to write me about your experience please include hints about:
- number of players
- number of triangles
- bought items
- the heart of strategies that were chosen and why.

When you describe your experience I'm especially interested in
- increase and decrease of suspense/tension
- critical moments for win or loose
- frustrations
- runaway leaders
- cooperation between players and players and the dummy

If you go more than 1 time for the dummy try some things like:
- going for treasures
- going for bandits
- waiting for him to build mines/flumes
- abusing him in a solo play with 2 prospectors
- playing extra hard

Even try to change the order of actions on cards like switching animals and events or put a second card of a specific type in the stack like the river gold card.

If you go for Bandits:
- try 5 to 8 bandits on a camp
- try allowing the bandits to shoot on animals receiving the fur and or going for events
- try only 2 bandits on the spring
- try to abuse the camp in a solo game with the dummy by stacking a great pile of gold tokens

And if you don't like to write long texts just link a vid or podcast or just write the 1 issue you really hate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expanding the expansion

We are very interested to include some more tiles in the next step that are connected to dummy and bandits:

New gear like
- 1 time special ammo

New skills like
- immunity to a pushback

New triangles like
- the dummies hut, where you can stack up his inventory thus he builds more things you like.

Ideas are really welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just made a little change on card 4:
Hunting an animal or going for an event is now free to choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Dolar
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game with the Dummy and I had a few questions...
1. Dummy movement - How do I choose which intersection to jump to if there are multiple legal options? Would I choose the intersection that is most advantageous to my prospectors or to the dummy?

2. Card #4 - On the first line the Dummy can either hunt or experience an event. Which would I choose if both are available?

3. The Dummy ended up building all his works very quickly within the first several turns. Is that expected or am I doing something wrong? This was nice for my prospectors!

For my play through I tried to play the Dummy aggressively when faced with a choice like the two above. My two prospectors were doing very well until the end of the game when the Dummy really started gaining gold fast. He ended up winning in the end, so who's the real dummy?

Dummy - 41
Prospector 1 - 32
Prospector 2 - 25

Thanks for the solo option! How about naming this expansion something more thematic like "The Old Timer"? After all, some of his actions seem a little bit senile but he really knows how to find large amounts of gold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Just played my first game with the Dummy and I had a few questions...

Nice

Quote:
1. Dummy movement - How do I choose which intersection to jump to if there are multiple legal options? Would I choose the intersection that is most advantageous to my prospectors or to the dummy?

always "most advantageous to my prospector"

Quote:
2. Card #4 - On the first line the Dummy can either hunt or experience an event. Which would I choose if both are available?

always "most advantageous to my prospector"

Quote:
3. The Dummy ended up building all his works very quickly within the first several turns. Is that expected or am I doing something wrong? This was nice for my prospectors!

Expected. And I like it as this leads in a 2player game to my favored behavior: staying together.

But maybe with a building action on 2 cards it is a bit fast. To slow it down you can kill the no 1 action on card 5 as we played it the most time. Or write something like "super easy:" in front

Quote:
For my play through I tried to play the Dummy aggressively when faced with a choice like the two above. My two prospectors were doing very well until the end of the game when the Dummy really started gaining gold fast. He ended up winning in the end, so who's the real dummy?

Who knows?

Quote:
Dummy - 41
Prospector 1 - 32
Prospector 2 - 25

When you know the dummy cards well especially in a solo game it seems a bit easy to beat him. Thus I'm thinking about doubling the amount of cards, adding some more randomness... we'll see

Quote:
Thanks for the solo option! How about naming this expansion something more thematic like "The Old Timer"? After all, some of his actions seem a little bit senile but he really knows how to find large amounts of gold!

"The Senile" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muziq
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about dummy movement. In the rules it states "the dummy jumps around to any intersection that can be accessed by foot or by boat". Does "jumping" around mean he can move any distance or is he restricted by normal movement rules? Also I was wondering which intersections can NOT be reached by foot or boat? All intersections can be accessed by one or both, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Goslar
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he can move any distance. Reaching means he is not allowed to be placed at undiscovered edges (when not doing the exploring step) and he cannot use paths at the undiscovered edges. (Meaning he could be blocked in his land movement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muziq
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the fast reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dummy file says there should be 14 Dummy Cards in the "Expansion Material" list but there are only 13 shown for actual printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do an update.

The idea behind the number of the cards is:

There are seven cards and in a 2 player game 6 will show up before shuffeling.
Each card feels like a half turn: 1 exploration or 1 building or 1 digging ...
1 half of the cards is good for the dummy, 1 half is good for the players.

Thus we thought to scale the dummy up to more players there should be 3 blank cards for each to let him do as many things as before in 1 round.

Thus you have 7, 10, 13 cards with 2, 3, 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the 14 in the materials list was just a typo then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made some changes in the dummy cards to make it more difficult to abuse his ability to build mines.
Changes are on cards 4, 5 and 7.

And yes 14 is a typo which again appears...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darsh 97 Cl.199
France
Issy-les-Moulineaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roland,

Do you have plans to officially issue those expansions? Other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just finishing our new game: Nord. After this I'll come back to Lost Valley as I still love it, especially with the new expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darsh 97 Cl.199
France
Issy-les-Moulineaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wowowow...
A game with Vikings !?!
Why haven't I seen that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it wa sjust a small crowdfundingkampagne in germany
but I hope it will be in stores in late may
we'll see

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darsh 97 Cl.199
France
Issy-les-Moulineaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the stickers to be applied onto the meeples?
It seems those were offered only as rewards on the SpielForge campaign...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Woolley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
These expansions are great. Just a question about attacking the bandits: shouldn't there be a negative consequence for missed attacks? Like losing some gear or natural resources? I know they strip the tiles of their natural resources but I think that would add an interesting component. Sort of goes with the idea of them being bandits. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I think about game designs I like when the game provides some sort of compensation when you loose something by a bad dice throw or a harsh majority decision or just a bad timing or...
Loosing something after a miss would instead double the penalty (action and gear).
The miss marker is just a small compensation so if you like to have a bigger one in line with the theme maybe it should be allowed to push the bandit around: some times you kill him sometimes he can run away nerving someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Woolley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, ok. Makes sense. Are there plans on any scale to produce this, by crowd funding or some other way? I'd be keen to get both of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Enns
Canada
Herbert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing the "Dummy" solo should I play a card for the Dummy after each of my 2 prospectors plays or only once after I have played both of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.