Hide
16 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Found some unlimited starter decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Peters
msg tools
I was looking for some of my old magic cards to give to someone and found that my wife has six unlimited ed starter decks. One is sealed, the other five are opened but in mint condition. I've done some searching, I have the general range for the sealed box but can't really find anything on the open boxes. Is it worth it to look through those for rares or will there not be any? Is it worth even bothering with them since they aren't sealed anymore?

Thanks,
Larry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The open boxes are worth the market value of the cards inside.

A single sealed starter is a tougher item to price. In many ways its better than sealed boosters. The earlier sets have wax packaging and non-sealed boxes are tricky to market and sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

My guess is, as usual with magic, selling the rares and uncommons individually makes you more money, then packaging up the rest into a bundle or two.

I might be interested in some of those depending on how you decide to sell them. Could you let me know.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
You should sell the sealed box as sealed, don't be tempted to open it! As for the already opened ones, grab a pricelist for Unlimited and see what you got. There are many expensive rares (power 9 cards especially, and dual lands) in Unlimited. Best to check what you got and sell anything expensive as singles and the rest as bulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Peters
msg tools
Thanks for the replies. I thumbed through the open boxes but didn't see anything that stood out, I'll look at them more closely later.

What I did find was that two of the opened boxes have cards that are still sealed (wrapped in plastic) on the inside. I'm assuming those should be kept that way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes don't open them.

I am interested in the entire lot. Once you figure our roughly what you are looking for post here. Or send me a GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Peters
msg tools
Thanks again for the replies. I got an offer to put stuff on eBay with no seller fee so I put the whole lot of cards up there in one auction. The auction will go up today(6/12) at 10:30PM EST/7:30PM PST.

Here's one of the images of the sealed decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebay is definitely the way to go with sealed product from that era. There is a tiny, tiny chance that you'll pull something that is worth more than the actual value of the sealed product, but it is much more likely that you'll end up with a card or two worth $250ish due to condition (Dual Lands) and a bunch of crap.

Sealed Alpha/Beta starters routinely sell for several thousand dollars each. Unlimited ones aren't worth as much as the white borders mean that none of the cards are worth as much but people still salivate at the idea of pulling gem mint power which means you should get a tidy return on these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I've had dreams about finds like this. Like literally, I've dreamt about finding unopened, old MTG packs.

If you had one of the Alpha/Beta packs or starters, I'd say those kinds of things you'd even want to get GRADED, so that no one can doubt the authenticity of it. It's probably not worth doing with these, but you can definitely get a pretty penny for what you've shown here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on Ebay he is getting a pretty penny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, they went for a lot. Now I'm dying to hear what the buyer managed to pull from these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will bet you they are NOT opening them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Jones
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much did they go for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
$4,802.05 .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
thatmarkguy wrote:
$4,802.05 .

wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Jones
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
$4,802.05 .

Wow - if I could have seen the future . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.