Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In principle, it is permissible to skip one's Dominance Action altogether in order to avoid picking the Ice Age card and, if this is the last Dominance Action in a round, play one additional round.

This can be a good choice for a lot of different reasons. For example:

- You are high on the initiative track, so you can expect to have a better pick of actions on the next round.

- You still have unused species in your gene pool.

- Your species are not well distributed in view of the end-of-game tile scoring, and you'd need a migration action you couldn't get your hands on.

- Your opponents will have to play defensively because of the elements on regression and wasteland spaces.

In practice, I (almost) always pick the Ice Age card when it is the last one available, because the game is already a bit long for my standards, and I don't want to piss off my friends. Also, the plan might backfire: I am implicitly saying that I believe that the next round will be better for me than for my opponents, so they will be looking out for my actions and probably play aggressively against me.

Have you ever extended the game by one round this way? How did it turn out for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the etiquette. At least everyone at the table should be OK with someone prolonging the game in scuh a fashion. (eg last time we played, we had two players vying for the top spot while two others were hopelessly behind; one of the top players was in a position to not pick the IAC but took it after which I was really grateful for).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty simple for me with any game where there is control over when it ends... If I think I'll win, I'll end it. If I think another round will increase my chances of winning, I'll extend it. If I know another round can't possibly help me, I'll just end it though, even if I'm going to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is barely a question imo. Dominant species is not a game about being nice to others. If you think not using the ice age card makes you more likely to win, you do it, without hesitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
I agree with the etiquette. At least everyone at the table should be OK with someone prolonging the game in scuh a fashion. (eg last time we played, we had two players vying for the top spot while two others were hopelessly behind; one of the top players was in a position to not pick the IAC but took it after which I was really grateful for).

No way. This is a totally valid strategy. If another player believes he or she can stage a come-back victory by forcing the game into another turn, if perhaps the players in the "lead" have left themselves vulnerable, etc., there is no "bad etiquette" associated with pursuing that option. If someone puts all their eggs in one basket , e.g. sacrifices it all on board position for a particular moment in time in which they count on Ice Age being taken for the win, they had better darn well make sure Ice Age gets taken by being in a position to take it himself/herself, not relying on someone else.

Maybe this makes me a jerk, or the game less fun for those caught with their pants down in this particular situation. But if it's a reasonable possibility, I wouldn't consider it a nasty move, but a good move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a game night, the host said she needed to end it in a few hours... Then proceeded to convince everyone to play 5-player DS. Of course, it wrnt long, and in what could have been the last turn, while she was in the lead, or close to it, she opted out of taking the ice age card with her (first in picking) dominance action. I told her I wouldn't take it to end the game, there wasn't any incentive, I might be able to pull out a win with another turn.

No one took the card, I won, she was very late getting to bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noonan
United States
Clayville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
"The druid said the damned thing was friendly... HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW!!!”
badge
Don't poke the Owlbear...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the ability to end the game when desired is a key component to the game. In a game that we played on Thursday (2 player, his mammals v. my reptiles), my opponent was the only one to take a dominance action on the last turn with two cards (Ice Age and something else poor). I placed my AP in speciation and had a very strong position, planning on winning. I, like a fool, did not place the second AP in the dominance eyeball. My opponent took the sub-optimal card (which actually hosed his position!) instead of scooping the Ice Age card. It was a game-winning decision. He ended up with an extra turn to score Survival (something he had played strong all game after a tactically sound use of Cold Snap - the bastard!). The extra turn gave him enough of a lead to hold out against my overwhelming dominance of the majority of the map. I lost due to the extra (unexpected) turn, kicking myself in the butt all night. I had played a great game up until that point, leading by almost 70 points at one point. This type of wild swings back and forth is exactly the reason that this game is so amazing. If it comes down to etiquette or winning - I will put my AP on the winning space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noonan
United States
Clayville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
"The druid said the damned thing was friendly... HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW!!!”
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
I agree with the etiquette. At least everyone at the table should be OK with someone prolonging the game in scuh a fashion.

Negative Ghostrider...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noonan
United States
Clayville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
Maybe this makes me a jerk, or the game less fun for those caught with their pants down in this particular situation. But if it's a reasonable possibility, I wouldn't consider it a nasty move, but a good move.

I'll play DS with jerks, thank you very much - oooooh much more fun! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LautreSault
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
Have you ever extended the game by one round this way? How did it turn out for you?

In my games whoever believes he/she has a possibility to win, always picks the Ice Age card. Nobody expects the other players to do the hard work for them.

If anyone complaints, the other 5 would:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alenen wrote:
This is barely a question imo. Dominant species is not a game about being nice to others. If you think not using the ice age card makes you more likely to win, you do it, without hesitation.

THIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lautresault wrote:
In my games whoever believes he/she has a possibility to win, always picks the Ice Age card. Nobody expects the other players to do the hard work for them.

This.
Exactly - if you want the game to end earlier then you prioritise the action to do so. Definitely don;t expect someone who would benefit from another round to do it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Malek
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all...
badge
...and in the darkness bind them, In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
mbmbmbmbmb

I have most definitely used the tactic, and so long as everyone at the table is clear on the specific rules concerned, I think it is a fine one. I've used it even more often in Stone Age, passing up on a final hut or card to force another round. As an issue of etiquette, well, if there is a stated consensus opinion that the game needs wrapping up, I am willing to move things along - but that would be true for any number of short cuts in any number of games. The tactic here is valid, and it does - and should - shape the final round of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.