John Harvey
United States
Fort Worth
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my daughters is an anthropology major because she loved--well, guess which series of movies! So she and I really enjoy Fortune and Glory, but found ourselves focusing too much on mechanics and not enough on the flavor. So, we came up with an idea (maybe lots of folks already do this):

When encountering a danger, immediately after drawing the card you pass it to the player to your left (or right--whatever you want to do). Now they read it quietly to themselves, then have to describe what just happened and it is their job to make it as consistent as possible with the adventure so far. For example,

"You stop to catch your breath after fighting your way past those Nazis in the ice cave, when, through the falling snow, you make out a dim light. Trudging slowly down the hill, the light becomes brighter until you realize this is it--this is the night club where you are supposed to meet your contact! But who is it, and who else might be there???"

Etc., etc., then give them their challenge rolls. And, of course, if you fail the danger, your reader adds something along the lines of, "Just as you reach for your whiskey, the ancient key you were going to use to unlock the treasures falls from your pocket. The man next to you sees it and gives a silent signal to the two bruisers by the door. You're not getting out of here without a fight!"

It is so much fun coming up with the descriptions and waiting for your adventure to be described. Plus, we no longer just read the card to ourselves and said, "Okay, I have to roll Lore three times, 5+." That defeated the whole purpose of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good idea. Makes the game a little more like Arabian Nights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat. This is exactly how we play it. A usefull trick is that the narration of the dangers should not necessarily be linear in time for the same adventure. Jumps back and forth in time are allowed so that all dangers make sense together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
An alternation could be that you don't tell people the stats of their options, you just describe the options and they have to pick what most sounds like what their character is good at.

So instead of saying "lore 5+ or agility 4+" your saying "either attempt to vocalize the formal greeting of these tribesmen or run like the dickens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harvey
United States
Fort Worth
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
An alternation could be that you don't tell people the stats of their options, you just describe the options and they have to pick what most sounds like what their character is good at.

So instead of saying "lore 5+ or agility 4+" your saying "either attempt to vocalize the formal greeting of these tribesmen or run like the dickens

Hmm, I'd still rather that players know the odds, but I do like the idea of the options being described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.