Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed in the past couple of days that when I visit BGG at work (not sure about home), the page width is just a smidgeon too wide.

For instance, as I type this, I see only "Search" and "Control Panel" at the top right of the screen. I have to scroll right to see "Moderators." And I see "All times are GM" without the T or -5 hours. This wasn't the case in the past, and I think it probably started with the advent of the QuickBar or the movement of GeekMail and Logout (which pushes the QuickBar off to the right).

My screen resolution is that very common one that's something like 1024x768. I'm running IE 6.0.2900.2180blahblahblah.

This is related to the microbadge (or, more specifically, any icon on the screen which shows me a "tool tip"). Whenever I move my cursor over one of those icons, the screen momentarily adjusts back to proper size (ie, where I don't need to scroll right to see things like 'quote' under a forum listing).

One more tidbit, when I quickly went to the top of the screen to check the version of IE, I passed over something (who knows--one of the menu tabs, the big geek picture, I don't know) and the screen dropped down to the narrower, more appropriate, width and stayed there (whereas it usually immediately switches back after I move off of the tool-tip-active icon). In this semi-static proper width, I see *almost* everything I should, but I still have a horizontal scroll to see the last quarter of the right side of my QuickBar entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I worked around the problem. I can get my screen to display with no horizontal scroll by shortening my QuickBar link names to "Forum", "GL Cmt", and "GL Item". I can live with that. Though I haven't tried it yet, I bet this will fix the screen quake issue.

It also seems to have fixed the problem where there was a little white space above the menu tabs.

Moral of the story, use very short QuickBar link names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.