BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: First CCG Game for Kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My 5 year old daughter is learning to read now and has expressed interest in both Pokemon and My Little Pony CCG's. I have never played either (or Magic, or any other CCG).

Which one is easier to play?

If it helps, she loves Forbidden Island...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does she watch that Adventure Time cartoon that my kids can't seem to get enough of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokémon works great with my 5-almost-6-year-old. There are no interrupts so no funky stack issues, and the theme comes across very well.

Edit to mention you can learn and play the Pokémon TCG online for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to start with Pokemon. I loved it as a child and I hope my son will too. I've heard the My Little Pony has poorly written and cryptic rules. Just what I'd heard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaijudo is supposed to be a good and fairly simple CCG. It is fairly similar to Magic, so it would be a fine stepping stone to that if that is your goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Pokemon.

It took my eight-year-old and I a few games games to start playing correctly, and we still check the rules on occasion. Pokemon is much more straightforward - my son was playing it at four.

If your kid is a Harry Potter fan, there was a very good and easy-to-play TCG for it. It's out of print now, but it's cheap to get into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids loved Pokemon at that age and Yu gi oh when they were just a little older.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Era
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A friend in need is a friend indeed
badge
An enemy in need is hilarious
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
If your kids is a Harry Potter fan, there was a very good and easy-to-play TCG for it. It's out of print now, but it's cheap to get into.

+1 for the Harry Potter TCG. The deck-building is a little easier than Pokémon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa McCain
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same dilemma a few months ago with regard to my own daughter. We went with Pokemon on the advice of the game store employee. He told me the MLP game is a bit more difficult. Plus, my daughter (just turned six in March) was already a big fan of the Pokemon (and digimon) cartoons. She's been really happy with it. She plays the game with my husband some and spends lots of time organizing and reading her cards. The handbooks you can buy are also good for reading. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Pokemon is probably easier to find friends that play too since it's still so popular.

A lot of public libraries have Pokemon clubs which could be a good way to get free/cheap cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
If your kids is a Harry Potter fan, there was a very good and easy-to-play TCG for it. It's out of print now, but it's cheap to get into.

+1 for the Harry Potter TCG. The deck-building is a little easier than Pokémon.

I would also go with Harry Potter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.