Popular Tags: [View All]
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
4 (Belgian) Troop, 10 (Inter-Allied) Commando was assigned to the British 5th Infantry Division for the landing at Anzio. What colour would you make their counter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
4 (Belgian) Troop, 10 (Inter-Allied) Commando was assigned to the British 5th Infantry Division for the landing at Anzio. What colour would you make their counter?

Hot Pink? Is this a quiz?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Kluvon wrote:

Hot Pink? Is this a quiz?

Hahaha!

No, I'm seriously wondering what is appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:

They wore British Army uniforms and fought under British command. I'd keep them the same colour as the British, and hopefully you would use the same rules for them as for the other British units. In other words, no need for special rules, unless you have some historical data that suggests they should?

Different coloured counters usually signal special rules, don't they? Or to aid in command-control rules. The Waffen-SS in SL and some ASL modules were done in black not just for their striking appearance, but because they actually had different rules applying to things like ability to take prisoners, broken-side morale, etc., that were slightly different than regular German Army troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khaki, or whatever color all the other British counters are. I'd say black, but that's used for SS so often, or red, but I associate that more with the paras. So that leave gold, if you consider the Belgian national colors. Or you could go with khaki/brown/tan, I like that option best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Mike, this is my thought, too, but I don't want to offend any Belgians.

EDIT: Andrew, good to hear from you, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
the belgian football (soccer) is kknown as the red devils so red would seem right, but if you are using NATO symbols just use a red border or a belgian flag with a british base color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Make them the same color as the British. But find some way of distinguishing them...color the unit symbol, put a stripe through the counter, or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
But find some way of distinguishing them

Mussels and Fries ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Mallet wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Mussels and Fries ?

Roger, as a Canadian, what colour do you think should be the US-Canadian Special Service Forces counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Make them the same color as the British. But find some way of distinguishing them...color the unit symbol, put a stripe through the counter, or something like that.

Same color as the unit, different colored text always works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MichaƂ M.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
Mallet wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Mussels and Fries ?

Roger, as a Canadian, what colour do you think should be the US-Canadian Special Service Forces counters?

This one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:

[insert appropriate Monty Python quote HERE]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Kluvon wrote:
Lhowser wrote:

[insert appropriate Monty Python quote HERE]
Belgian chocolate-coat this, for: "G-R-E-A-T-E-S-T JUST `CAUSE!" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Mussels and Fries ?

Announcing the new Mussels and Pike Series!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Belgian chocolate-coat this, for: "G-R-E-A-T-E-S-T JUST `CAUSE!" whistle

Once again Grogs hits the nail on the head - the Belgians should be (Belgian) Chocolate Brown in colour!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:

EDIT: Andrew, good to hear from you, too.

One of the sergeants-major in my unit told a story about his time with a multi-national force overseas. He fought in Afghanistan but as I recall, it may have been from earlier service in the former Yugoslavia, where a number of nationalities had also contributed contingents.

The details are fuzzy but as I recall he was in a base area or perhaps a leave centre and at the time was an NCO in charge of movie night. Everyone spoke English so he wanted to pick something that wouldn't - as you point out - "offend" anyone.

He decided that Austin Powers in Goldmember would be perfect - so over the top that it would be an "equal opportunity offender", so to speak. It poked fun at everyone. Things went fine until this line:

For some reason, the members of the Dutch contingent that were present took extreme offence at the line, and in all seriousness stormed out of the room in a rage.

As my sergeant-major told the story to me, it was all the more baffling because they were members of what would be considered an elite unit, well motivated, trained, physically fit - he had a hard time reconciling what he had thought was an innocuous line in the film to the level of insult they had felt. Particularly since, from his perspective, the joke was not at the expense of Dutch people. But it goes to show, sometimes, you just can't predict what people will find offensive, particularly across cultures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I've always considered that line very funny but I do understand that people who're not the ostensible target of such remarks always seem to find it funnier than those that are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Quick, name a famous Dutch comedian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hans Fluevenhoffel

Easy equivalent of George Carlin with a touch of Robert Klein.

Kluvon wrote:
Quick, name a famous Dutch comedian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking the color of Belgium chocolate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Thomas
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
Space Battleship Yamato, Battlestar Galactica, Dilbert, Douglas Adams, The Tick
badge
Me ees Pearls Before Swine fan, but me no like zeeba neighba.
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

I like this idea. NATO made the Belgians khaki with gold symbols and the Canadians green with white symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The color of flem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

They wore British Army uniforms and fought under British command. I'd keep them the same colour...

but with a waffle pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Houben
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For some reason, the members of the Dutch contingent that were present took extreme offence at the line, and in all seriousness stormed out of the room in a rage.

As my sergeant-major told the story to me, it was all the more baffling because they were members of what would be considered an elite unit, well motivated, trained, physically fit - he had a hard time reconciling what he had thought was an innocuous line in the film to the level of insult they had felt. Particularly since, from his perspective, the joke was not at the expense of Dutch people. But it goes to show, sometimes, you just can't predict what people will find offensive, particularly across cultures.

Well, if this story is true, I'm underestimating the level of indoctrination in Dutch army training. I can't imagine anyone in the Netherlands being offended by this line. Surely didn't prevent this movie from being a success over here when it was released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.