Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve McCormick
England
Carlisle
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought GD with the hope I could really get into solo play, the main gaming I do. However, I find GD isn't very well suited to solo due to the Close Encounters coming too often (and, thematically, when two weather effects come quickly it just seems daft).

Am I missing something? Or is it right that to get maximum enjoyment and balance from the game you require at least two agents in play?

I hear the argument coming already that I should play multiple agents but I didn't get a great deal of joy out of that in GD. I guess I want another Mage Knight but haven't found it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only 4 missions playable with 1 Agent, but I haven't tried it myself yet, although I'd be happy to give it a try sometime.

Storybook Campaign Missions:
1 - Close Encounters (1-5)
2 - New Hopes (1-5)
3 - Star Tech (1-5)
4 - Alien Nation (1-5)
5 - Starship Troops (5)
6 - Agents in Black (2-5)
7 - In the Matrix (4-5)
8 - Visitors (3-5)
9 - On Earth Everyone Can Hear You Scream (3-5)
10 - Galaktica (3-5)
11 - Judgement Day (5)
12 - Back in Time (2-5)

Additional Missions:
V - Starship Troops (5)
VI - Agents in Black (2-5)
X1 - The Hive (3-5)
X2 - The Primal Hunt (4-5)
X3 - V (3-5)
X4 - G-Droid Encounter (4-5)
Survival Program #1 - Xirtam (5)
Survival Program #2 - Xirtam Reloaded (5)

However, more to the topic, it looks like the game scales fine down to 1 Agent, as 7 of the 13 Event Cards that teleport in more Signals don't actually teleport in any Signals for a 1 Agent game, and the other 6 Event Cards only teleport in a max of 1 Signal, and then only if there are fewer Aliens in play than Agents. To me this seems well balanced.

However, I should also note that I'm not very intrigued to play this game with only one Agent, as it limits your strategy and your tactical options way too much. In that sense this might not be the game to give you the Mage Knight experience (note, I personally love Galaxy Defenders, but didn't like Mage Knight much).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The close encounters come at the same pace (one per player turn), but events do come much more quickly. My experience with 1 agent and even 2 agents is that the mission is just over too quickly to even home for a full success. With 5, meanwhile, it can sort of drag when playing solo (am currently on Mission 5 and had to pack it up after one too many "activate all blue aliens" meaning I had to activate 12 figures by myself). 3 is my personal sweet spot, I think. 5 seems the easiest, but also takes a long time.

I'm curious what agent count Yoki prefers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HawkeyeLonewolf wrote:
To me, TRUE solo is one player vs the game. The number of characters used doesn't factor into it. Use more characters and have fun!

I was originally with the OP in hoping to play through everything with one agent (because playing multiple people's hands/characters in other games is often a huge hassle), but in GD fortunately playing multiple agents feels like being commander of a team rather than me pretending to be multiple players. I think a big reason it's not bad like I feared is because all of the information is right there on the table, and after the setup there isn't that much difference between playing 1 agent or 3 (or even 5, although as kittenhoarder mentioned that slows the game down).

Contrast with something like LoTR LCG where playing multiple decks means a ton of extra card, token, playspace, etc. management (and the resulting headache).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McCormick
England
Carlisle
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not got past the third mission so guess I hadn't picked up on the options of how many agents to use. My mistake. Fair point, also, on the cards that don't affect one agent.

I think I need to get it back on the table and try again! For me, table space is a huge issue and there are few games I can play regularly. #MyHouseIsTooBloodySmall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imalrightjack wrote:
For me, table space is a huge issue and there are few games I can play regularly. #MyHouseIsTooBloodySmall

This is particularly going to be a problem with the later missions (they get longer and longer). I ended up buying a card table specifically so I could leave Galaxy Defenders set up over multiple days but still eat meals. Of course, when it's setup I can't use the television, but eh.

If you have an iOS or Android tablet and are only using base set items, you can potentially use the GD tracker app to save on space since it allows you to manage all the agent-related tokens. Only reason I don't do this is that the app doesn't allow you to specify alpha agent or seating order.

Additionally, there's my Close Encounter and Event tracker at xenobeta.com. I load that up on my smart phone, and it saves a fair amount of card-related space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McCormick
England
Carlisle
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
Additionally, there's my Close Encounter and Event tracker at xenobeta.com. I load that up on my smart phone, and it saves a fair amount of card-related space.

Wow! Just wow. That's terrific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hill
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fantastic resource, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.