Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't really find something to support the... well, somewhat "obvious" idea that Balin's new Shadow Card that gets dealt... is even looked at?

Is it really the case? Could it possibly be that Balin's "deal it another shadow" is just in case it makes an additional attack later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wohlganger
United States
Valley City
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the rulebook seems ambiguous, I've always played that all shadow cards are revealed during an attack. It seems to be heavily implied by all of the cards that deal enemies extra shadow cards, when the enemies normally only have one attack. In order for the timing on those to work, the timing for Balin's ability means that the new shadow card must also get revealed. This also makes the character similar to all the other heroes who have a cost to get rid of something bad, and replace it with whatever's next in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's obvious that the new shadow card gets consulted. Having a face-down shadow card on an enemy that's attacking is very odd indeed. And having a face-up one that isn't being used is perhaps more odd. I can't imagine they chose that wording to mean anything other than what is "obvious".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balin's text reads:
Quote:
Response: Pay 1 resource from Balin's resource pool to cancel a shadow effect just triggered during an attack. Then, deal the attacking enemy another shadow card. (Limit once per attack.)

Just follow the game flow for combat:
1. Deal shadow card face down.
2. Declare defender.
3. Reveal Shadow card and resolve shadow effect.

So the first part of Balin's response is that you can optionally pay 1 resource to cancel a shadow effect that just triggered. In order for a shadow effect to trigger, it would have to have been revealed, which in the normal course of the enemy attack, would be in step 3 above. This is when you would now be able to play Balin's response.

The 2nd part of Balin's response continues to say that you now need to replace the canceled shadow effect with another shadow card. You can deal this new shadow card face-down if you choose, but because we are now in the step 3 where your defender has already been declared and you reveal the shadow card, you put this new shadow card face up and resolve its shadow effect if any.

And then the rest of the combat phase continues on normally from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
Balin's text reads:
Quote:
Response: Pay 1 resource from Balin's resource pool to cancel a shadow effect just triggered during an attack. Then, deal the attacking enemy another shadow card. (Limit once per attack.)

Just follow the game flow for combat:
1. Deal shadow card face down.
2. Declare defender.
3. Reveal Shadow card and resolve shadow effect.

So the first part of Balin's response is that you can optionally pay 1 resource to cancel a shadow effect that just triggered. In order for a shadow effect to trigger, it would have to have been revealed, which in the normal course of the enemy attack, would be in step 3 above. This is when you would now be able to play Balin's response.

The 2nd part of Balin's response continues to say that you now need to replace the canceled shadow effect with another shadow card. You can deal this new shadow card face-down if you choose, but because we are now in the step 3 where your defender has already been declared and you reveal the shadow card, you put this new shadow card face up and resolve its shadow effect if any.

And then the rest of the combat phase continues on normally from there.

yup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure!

Might have been worth a FAQ clarification. But yeah, that's how I play it anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure that you resolve the effects of this card.

Now, I am more familiar with the timing in A Game of Thrones: LCG, but the games share a designer and a timing structure by and large.

Since Balin is a "cancel," you never actually resolve the shadow (go to step 3). You're stuck at step 2. Thus, you'd go ahead and reference the card.

Consider Dol Gulder Beastmaster. He gets two shadow cards. Do you really think you only resolve one because by the time the first one resolves the opportunity to resolve shadows has somehow passed? I don't think so--

You may also find it advantageous to use the Rules Questions like on FFG's main page. THey're pretty responsive and our forum here seems split

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.