Vic
msg tools
Since I scored a phantom from an Imdaar event I've been playing mini swarm + Whisper and my core cookie cutter build is like so:

Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics
Obsidian x1
Academy x2
"Whisper" + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Cloaking Device
= 94 points

Now I've been playing with 4-5 point Crew/System upgrades on Whisper to keep the list at 98-99 points. The following are the different combinations and my conclusions.

Fire Controls Systems + Weapons Engineer (5 points):
I played 2 games against: Kath + Marksmanship, Soontir + Stealth + PTL, Royal Guard + PTL

Game 1: Soontir was able to shoot me decloaked since he won the initiative roll. I lost Phantom, he lost Kath. It was my first game using a Phantom, so I just conceded because I knew his 2x interceptors would be able to outmaneuver my mini swarm and I wanted to get more practice in with Whisper.

Game 2: He still had initiative, but this time he underestimated my phantom. While all 3 of his ships tried to go after my swarm my phantom got behind his interceptors and was able to TL + F both to pieces very easily while my swarm took care of Kath.

PROS: Now this offers very strong offensive power against higher agility ships. I found that stealth interceptors at the same PS are a huge annoyance to phantoms and when I TL + F in the second round of shooting I hit hard enabling me to cripple or kill interceptors before they can try to outmaneuver me. Unless I'm facing a stealth interceptor with focus + evade (Soontir) it’s rare that a hit won't go through to at least shut off the stealth device of an interceptor. It plays well defensively since I can score that hit to activate Whisper's pilot ability focus + advanced cloaking device.

CONS: A problem I can see myself facing is if I do win initiative I’ll move/shoot first. It’ll be really difficult to guess where the same Pilot Skill opponent will be then, especially interceptors. Thus once they move after me they can outmaneuver me (which happened too often against PS9 interceptors even when I’m on their trail)

TL;DR: Good offense, Good defense, can be outmaneuvered by same PS interceptors if I have initiative

Sensor Jammer + Intelligence Agent (4 points):
I played 2 games against: Biggs + R2-F2, Rookie, Han + Veteran Instincts + Marksmanship (I know, 2 EPTs are illegal, but we didn’t realize it until later)

Game 1: First round of shooting, Han went after a decloaked Whisper who was one-shotted at Range 3. (3 blank evade dice vs 2 hits + Direct Hit Crit). So I conceded for obvious reasons.

Game 2: Mini swarm took care of Biggs/Rookie. Last couple rounds was Obsidian + Academy + Phantom all at 1 hull left vs. Han who had 4-5 Hull remaining. I was able to finish him off by making sure all my guys always had a shot.

PROS: I can see where Intelligence Agent could help, especially against the X-wings but I was really only able to activate Intelligence agent once or twice. Once X-wings were gone I wanted to stay range 3 of Han so I wasn’t in range to activate it. I was able to sensor jam an X-wing which prevented a hit or two though

CONS: Jammer + Intelligence Agent is useless against a Han Solo +
Marksmanship who you want to stay at range 3 of (unless you have initiative and can shoot/cloak beforehand)

TL;DR: Okay offense, Good defense unless it’s against a Han + Marksmanship, decent outmaneuvering ability

Advanced Sensors + Intelligence Agent (4 points):

Game 1 against: Rookie x 2, Kyle + Moldy Crow + Blaster Turret + Recon Spec, Garvin + R2
He made the mistake of splitting up. Garven + Rookie vs mini swarm, Kyle + Rookie vs Phantom. Kept Phantom out of range of Kyle’s Turret & out of Rookie’s arc and destroyed Rookie. Mini-swarm killed Garvin, flew past rookie and finished off Kyle by pincering him with the help of the phantom. All that was left was to mop up the remaining Rookie which was when he conceded.

Game 2 against: Carnor + PTL + Stealth, Soontir + PTL + Stealth, Turr + VI + Stealth
This game lasted FOREVER. Carnor was killed by mini-swarm + Phantom but Soontir + Turr finished off Howlrunner and an Academy. What I got really annoyed by in this match was that since I shot/moved first, he was able to outmaneuver my phantom with Turr and Soontir too many times UNTIL I got the hang of using the information I got from intelligence agent to block using my Tie Fighters and simply place my phantom where he’d have a shot on the blocked ship at range 1, then once I hit, I’d get Whisper’s pilot ability focus then cloak up. It’s amazing how many good positions I can get into just by using an Advanced Sensors Barrel Roll + Decloaking Super Barrel Roll. Most of my moves against these crafty interceptors consisted of these “Ultimate” 4-length barrel rolls + sharp 1-turns. Sure, sometimes I’d be rolling red dice without a focus but even then 5 dice at range 1 can still do good damage.

PROS: The maneuvering I can do with a phantom is unbelievable when I can essentially do up to a length 4 barrel roll then reveal my maneuver. Using the information I gained from Intelligence Agent to block an enemy using an academy pilot really helps me hone in with my phantom.

CONS: Sometimes I can be outmaneuvered since I move first against other PS9 ships, and sometimes I’m shooting without a focus.

TL;DR: Okay offense, Okay defense, AMAZING outmaneuvering ability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here because there seemed to be a promise of cookies. I am not amused by your deception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
give rebel captive a try, it is pretty good on the phantom.

Recon Spec is another awesome upgrade, but is more useful on the non-Whispers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nephtys Nephtys
msg tools
I got utterly trashed by Whisper + VI + Fire Control + Gunner + Adv Cloak.

what a horrific combo. You just dodge around like a Phantom can. When you attack, it doesn't matter if you miss or not. FCS triggers, giving you a lock. Then Gunner triggers for the reroll! Then you use the lock again, since it's a new attack, and get a new lock right after for free. Plus a recloak and a focus.

Horrifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flechette Torpedoes with Munitions Failsafe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nephtys wrote:

what a horrific combo. You just dodge around like a Phantom can. When you attack, it doesn't matter if you miss or not. FCS triggers, giving you a lock. Then Gunner triggers for the reroll! Then you use the lock again, since it's a new attack, and get a new lock right after for free. Plus a recloak and a focus.

Horrifying.

44 points for a ship that can die in one shot. I wouldn't like my odds against a basic chewie, who costs 2 points less...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chud Darook
msg tools
People put too much importance on points and those points making up their cost in kills etc.

You build a ship that does a job.....its entire point is for it to simply do the job you built it for......no matter the cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hape K
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Nephtys wrote:

Horrifying.

I tried out the Phantom via proxy for the first time last night and took your advice with this build alongside a Howlrunner miniswarm. Wow. My opponent called it "almost like cheating".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Schmidt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you finding you get a lot of use out of the 5pt gunner when you're already throwing 4+ dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hape K
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
schmidtjas wrote:
Are you finding you get a lot of use out of the 5pt gunner when you're already throwing 4+ dice?

Honestly, no. I did find myself using it a couple times though, and I feel like it made a difference in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Horne
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I have found that Echo is more my style than Whisper. I usually run him with Veteran Instincts and Advanced Cloaking Device. This brings him to 35 points with 65 yet to play with.

Combinations I have tried include:
Kath with Rebel Captive and 2 Academies
4 Named TIEs including Howlrunner (This was ok)
Howlrunner, Nightbeast, and 2 Bombers w/Seismic Charges (I really liked this one)

I also tried dropping VI off of Echo (not sure how I feel about this choice) and ran Howlrunner with 4 Academies. This list ran the best for me, but that PS 6 on Echo would scare me in a competitive environment. I am sure the meta is going to shift to counter Phantom and one on the best ways to do that is to raise your PS. I was able to dance around the higher PS pilots and let Howl and the mini-swarm do their job. I will be playing a bit more with this one.

~Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chud Darook
msg tools
I played in a big 3v3 100pt each battle to test out a busy board and their moves.

I ran this:

Echo with Tactician + ACD + VI
Whisper with Tactician + ACD + VI
Yorr and a bare bones Shuttle

Yorr played a huge part in taking down an X-Wing and the Rebel Transport. Whisper was more effective than Echo, (It was cool to zip sideways and then K-Turning across the Transport to fire point blank and the do the same thing again next turn! 10 dice and no evades is mean!)

Echo's soft turns made it harder to anticipate final angles, but that will get better in time. Yorr was one away from dying and Whisper lost both shields. I forgot I had Tactician on both ships for the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kryzak
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Late reply, but recently also trying out some combinations on top of my VI+ACD on Echo.

I'm settling on Sensor Jammer + Rebel Captive because RC is going to be super useful late game and pretty useful early game. It prevents the ship shooting from doing K-turns, and for the Han+Marksmanship that kills the SJ, Han *has* to do a green move (= predictable) unless he doesn't want to use Marksmanship, which means SJ is useful. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I used to take FCS+Recon (saves 2 points), but I think SJ+RC is the most defensive so it allows for a few mistakes against PS9+ pilots when I can't get out of their firing arc. Soontir will NOT want to shoot Echo if he PTL. ;-)

My rest of the list is
BH (naked)
OGP+Vader (doomshuttle)
99 pts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.