Subject: Small World custom race - Mice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morten Elgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Hello everyone,

I decided that I would do one last custom race for SW, and having looked quite a bit at Mice & Mystics I decided to start on a cute mice race.
I've been considering different racial traits but would like your input, or suggestions. So far I've thought about:

Small stature
Once attacked remove one token as usual, but leave any additional tokens in the area. In subsequent turns remove one Mice token after the now conquering players turn. If in decline, remove all Mice tokens except one per area.
Basically your mice go underground, and are slowly weeded out, but you can score points in the meantime

Hard to catch
When under attack roll the reinforcement dice and recollect the number of Mice to your hand. If a zero is rolled all mice in the area are removed from play.
Making them a slightly risky race where you could be lucky and get all tokens back or lose a lot if grouped together

The artwork so far:

So what do you think, any suggestions or tweaks? I'll properly finish the race up sometime during this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd stick with ONE power per race, not two.

The top power is actually a penalty, not sure if you intended it to be. You lose many more tokens than others and you only a get a handful of extra coins for it. it's also confusing to keep two races' tokens in a single area. And what happens if other players subsequently conquer the same area?

The second power sounds more interesting, but is too similar to Pygmies. It's still more of a penalty because of your rule for rolling a 0 (which is half the time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Elgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Hello Mike,

Yeah ind the end I will settle on only one power, these were just two different ideas I had. Youre right in your critique, the first would be too confusing and the second is too similar to the pygmies.

A different idea would be:
At the end of your turn, get one additional token for each field region you control.

Making them a bit like humans, but instead of getting coins they can refill their ranks. I'm more than open to other suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadNutter wrote:
A different idea would be:
At the end of your turn, get one additional token for each field region you control.

It's like the mudmen from Underground (except fields instead of mudregions/swamps), so that seems OK. They start with 5 race tokens, and have maximum of 12 race tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Elgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Oh right, I keep forgetting about Small world underground as I don't own it. Well unless a better idea comes up I'll go with that.
Thanks for the numbers on the Mudmen, using the same values for the Mice would properly balance out well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artwork looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Elgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools

Alright, the file is now up here on the site and can be downloaded here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104312/custom-race-mice

Thanks for the feedback, hope you have fun with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Komori
Canada
flag msg tools
Me and my family have played with the mice for a long while. A month or two, and I think the power is perfect for mice. They get annoying if you aren't playing as them, as they tend to just end up infesting the board. It really suits them well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Elgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Thanks Tyler, great to hear that you and your family are enjoying playing with them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.