Recommend
22 
 Thumb up
 Hide
62 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Terror in Meeple City» Forums » General

Subject: Game getting renamed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: IP [+] [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone heard about Asmodee being forced to change the name of the game to "Terror in Meeple City"? According to Vassel on twitter they are being sued.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owain B
United Kingdom
Corbridge
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It has the new name in the latest Asmodee catalogue (page 39):
http://issuu.com/carol_asmodee/docs/asmodee_astra_tgtg_2014
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
obenn wrote:
It has the new name in the latest Asmodee catalogue (page 39):
http://issuu.com/carol_asmodee/docs/asmodee_astra_tgtg_2014


So does that mean our copies will be worth something down the line?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta say, I like that name and box art better than the original. However, does that make mu original box worth, like, a billion dollars or something?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Has anyone heard about Asmodee being forced to change the name of the game to "Terror in Meeple City"? According to Vassel on twitter they are being sued.
I doubt their being forced to change the name to that, they probably got a C&D from the owners of the Rampage video game franchise and decided the jig was up.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely. I would have named it Rompage instead. it has monsters romping around, right?
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
schwarzott wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Has anyone heard about Asmodee being forced to change the name of the game to "Terror in Meeple City"? According to Vassel on twitter they are being sued.
I doubt their being forced to change the name to that, they probably got a C&D from the owners of the Rampage video game franchise and decided the jig was up.


I had just assumed that they had licensed it, it surprises me they didn't. Maybe they thought that because Midway went out of business that the IP wasn't in anyone's control. I suppose that would be a reasonable, though incorrect assumption.

Warner Brothers bought all of the Midway IP when they shut down. I'd hate to be on the wrong end of Time Warner's legal shotgun. I really hope that it was just a C&D with an amiable outcome. With all the manufacturing issues that the game has had with warped boards, it would be a shame if they had to take a further loss on it.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting note: the name of the game in the catalog may have been changed, but it still refers to itself as 'Rampage' in the description,
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hezkezl wrote:
schwarzott wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Has anyone heard about Asmodee being forced to change the name of the game to "Terror in Meeple City"? According to Vassel on twitter they are being sued.
I doubt their being forced to change the name to that, they probably got a C&D from the owners of the Rampage video game franchise and decided the jig was up.


I had just assumed that they had licensed it, it surprises me they didn't. Maybe they thought that because Midway went out of business that the IP wasn't in anyone's control. I suppose that would be a reasonable, though incorrect assumption.

Warner Brothers bought all of the Midway IP when they shut down. I'd hate to be on the wrong end of Time Warner's legal shotgun. I really hope that it was just a C&D with an amiable outcome. With all the manufacturing issues that the game has had with warped boards, it would be a shame if they had to take a further loss on it.


It shouldn't surprise you they didn't license it. Spend enough time in the "industry", even as a consumer and you can quickly see that it's like the Wild West out there. How many board game companies can you name that you'd consider professional ... the way you'd consider Costco, or Apple, or whatever? Do you think these 9 employee companies have a legal department?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people might even feel that perfectly commonplace verbs are unreasonable things to own.

B>
83 
 Thumb up
1.40
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
thepackrat wrote:
Some people might even feel that perfectly commonplace verbs are unreasonable things to own.


Or at the very least, we would suspect that the titles of things should have some liberties to them. Different companies can (and do) have the same named/titled: Vehicle, Book, CD, Movie, and (for the most part) just about anything.

But pay enough money and you can convince the right people that you have a trademark and therefore no one else can put the letter "i" before anything, or "tap" something, or put a giant letter "M" outside of their restaurant. I'm surprised someone hasn't spent enough to trademark the name "Earth" and sue us all for living here.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
Some people might even feel that perfectly commonplace verbs are unreasonable things to own.


Or at the very least, we would suspect that the titles of things should have some liberties to them. Different companies can (and do) have the same named/titled: Vehicle, Book, CD, Movie, and (for the most part) just about anything.

But pay enough money and you can convince the right people that you have a trademark and therefore no one else can put the letter "i" before anything, or "tap" something, or put a giant letter "M" outside of their restaurant. I'm surprised someone hasn't spent enough to trademark the name "Earth" and sue us all for living here.


Let's be realistic here, though. This is a board game about giant monsters destroying buildings in a city, and eating people. It has the same name as a video game about giant monsters destroying buildings in a city, and eating people.

The logo on the box itself even has striking similarities to the video game rampage logo.

I'm sure a game called Rampage that was about pillaging vikings would not have warranted any sort of legal action. It's not about the name specifically, it's about the name in conjunction with monsters destroying a city that could cause (and has caused) confusion with the original Rampage IP.

I don't think that Warner Brothers was out of line with a C&D here, I just hope that it didn't get messy.

  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Montgomery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised they got away with it for this long. It is weird to come after this long in my opinion.

I still have a Green Jello CD.
34 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
I am being realistic.

If I understand correctly, the game is going to be exactly the same. It's only the name that's in controversy. Also, I'm pretty sure that it's allowed to create a game where a Master Chief-type character takes on a planet of Covenant-like aliens, you just can't call it Halo. It's backwards really. The board game Rampage will be able to continue to use the concept of monsters destroying a city and eating people by changing the name - which, in all honesty, is kind of a cheat. It is equally a cheat, in my opinion, to say no one else can use the "name" of something very common.

The trademarking of names is problematic. In some ways I get like vs. like in that it could be confusing to have 2 games named Agricola. I say that, again, with the side note that two books have no problem sharing the name "Twilight," or that two cars are titled the "Suburban."

This isn't about like vs. like however. In all honesty, this is a company saying: "We're likely to never release a board game with X name, but we want to be paid if someone else wants to use that name"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If they had it licensed the monsters would have been named George, Lizzie, and Ralph etc. I always wondered why they named it rampage given that obv is possibility.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Some people might even feel that perfectly commonplace verbs are unreasonable things to own.

B>


They can feel that way, but it's be a bad idea to do so. You'd have to create convoluted, uncommon names to attach to your products if that was the case.

Asmodee released a game that created consumer confusion - you can see that in this thread, where people assumed it was a licensed product. That's why the name is protected - to protect the consumer from buying a knock-off product. I'm actually upset that this wasn't licensed, and I'm glad they're being forced to change the name.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Montgomery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it's about money. Not directly necessarily but loss of reputation which can lead to loss of money in the future. Asmodee may have made a good game but if they didn't make Asmodee change the name then they are opening the door for anyone to come in and use the name possibly damaging their reputation. You have to protect your trademarks or you can lose them.

Something similar happened about 3 years back with Bells and Northern Brewer.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
I am being realistic.

If I understand correctly, the game is going to be exactly the same. It's only the name that's in controversy. Also, I'm pretty sure that it's allowed to create a game where a Master Chief-type character takes on a planet of Covenant-like aliens, you just can't call it Halo. It's backwards really. The board game Rampage will be able to continue to use the concept of monsters destroying a city and eating people by changing the name - which, in all honesty, is kind of a cheat. It is equally a cheat, in my opinion, to say no one else can use the "name" of something very common.

The trademarking of names is problematic. In some ways I get like vs. like in that it could be confusing to have 2 games named Agricola. I say that, again, with the side note that two books have no problem sharing the name "Twilight," or that two cars are titled the "Suburban."

This isn't about like vs. like however. In all honesty, this is a company saying: "We're likely to never release a board game with X name, but we want to be paid if someone else wants to use that name"


Trademarks exist to reduce customer confusion. When Rampage was first announced and when I first started seeing pictures of it, I thought it was a licensed board game. The most recent Rampage game, Rampage: Total Destruction came out in 2006. It's not hard to believe that there could be customers who mistakenly think Rampage is a licensed game. It's important for companies to protect trademarks.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
To be clear, they're changing the name right? So, legally at least, they will most likely be in the clear and the game will be exactly the same. So, no worries I guess to those of you who were shocked, things will be put right... and I will still think this particular case is a bit odd.

So, to be fair...

1. If there are honestly consumers who get all upset when they find out a game is not licensed properly, are "confused" when a board game made from a video game actually plays like the video game (despite not being licensed), or go to the game store thinking "That game looks properly licensed. I bet it's good!" then, to you, I apologize. But I do also think you are a group of odd ducks.

2. I feel the idea of "I buy a company and therefore I buy a set list of "words" that this company came up with, therefore preventing others from using those words unless they pay up" is silly. I'm not saying ideas should be stolen or that the people who come up with things shouldn't be compensated for them, or in the concepts behind brand delusion or product infringement - I just think none of those factors are at work here. If anything, Midway would get credit for the idea of this set group of monster's attacking a city and eating peeps which won't happen regardless of the outcome of this dispute.

3. The issue is about the title change. Should they have to pay for the title or else change it? Regardless of the legality of it, the fact that this is all about a protected title that hasn't been seen in 8 years, and never had been previously nor likely ever would have been put into board game form, is a tad ridiculous.
11 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
Some people might even feel that perfectly commonplace verbs are unreasonable things to own.

B>


They can feel that way, but it's be a bad idea to do so. You'd have to create convoluted, uncommon names to attach to your products if that was the case.


And that is mostly what people do. That or phrases.

B>
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Montgomery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If there are honestly consumers who get all upset when they find out a game is not licensed properly, are "confused" when a board game made from a video game actually plays like the video game (despite not being licensed), or go to the game store thinking "That game looks properly licensed. I bet it's good!" then, to you, I apologize. But I do also think you are a group of odd ducks.

I think the only people upset are the folks who own the rights to the name Rampage. It doesn't seem like they are to upset as we haven't heard they are asking for more than a change in name. They might be within their rights to ask for monetary compensation.

Quote:
I feel the idea of "I buy a company and therefore I buy a set list of "words" that this company came up with, therefore preventing others from using those words unless they pay up" is silly.

Doesn't matter how you feel. It matters how consumers in general feel. Why do you think movie sequels do so well? They profit from a built in fan base. Asmodee may be profiting at least partially from people's nostalgia over a game who's rights are owned by another company.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
logan3825 wrote:
Quote:
If there are honestly consumers who get all upset when they find out a game is not licensed properly, are "confused" when a board game made from a video game actually plays like the video game (despite not being licensed), or go to the game store thinking "That game looks properly licensed. I bet it's good!" then, to you, I apologize. But I do also think you are a group of odd ducks.

I think the only people upset are the folks who own the rights to the name Rampage. It doesn't seem like they are to upset as we haven't heard they are asking for more than a change in name. They might be within their rights to ask for monetary compensation.


Nope, I'm upset. I don't like people banking off of the IP of others. Someone else created the Rampage video game, which I have strong connections to. I grew up playing through it during sleepovers.

While the idea for this game sounded cool, the idea of it being a board game version of something I loved growing up was part of the appeal. Not just because of how it plays, but because of what it is. If you think people who feel that way are odd ducks, then you don't understand the marketing of nostalgia, which is one of the most powerful trends going on today.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
logan3825 wrote:
Quote:
If there are honestly consumers who get all upset when they find out a game is not licensed properly, are "confused" when a board game made from a video game actually plays like the video game (despite not being licensed), or go to the game store thinking "That game looks properly licensed. I bet it's good!" then, to you, I apologize. But I do also think you are a group of odd ducks.

I think the only people upset are the folks who own the rights to the name Rampage. It doesn't seem like they are to upset as we haven't heard they are asking for more than a change in name. They might be within their rights to ask for monetary compensation.


Nope, I'm upset. I don't like people banking off of the IP of others. Someone else created the Rampage video game, which I have strong connections to. I grew up playing through it during sleepovers.

While the idea for this game sounded cool, the idea of it being a board game version of something I loved growing up was part of the appeal. Not just because of how it plays, but because of what it is. If you think people who feel that way are odd ducks, then you don't understand the marketing of nostalgia, which is one of the most powerful trends going on today.


Doesn't it do that? Why would it need to be officially licensed by whomever happened to own that IP to provide that?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Doesn't it do that? Why would it need to be officially licensed by whomever happened to own that IP to provide that?


A) I have an issue with people making money off of IP they don't own.
B) I have an issue with the deceit involved.

I would have held off on a purchase of "Terror in Meeple City" until reviews came in and I could possibly try it out. I pre-ordered "Rampage" because I believed that this was an officially licensed game for something I loved (and I thought that I could trust Asmodee to not pull a stunt like this). Part of what I put my money towards was being a part of the revival of that in board game form. Instead, I find out I inadvertently contributed to what I would view as akin to the HQ25 debacle, which I have a huge problem with.
23 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Doesn't it do that? Why would it need to be officially licensed by whomever happened to own that IP to provide that?


A) I have an issue with people making money off of IP they don't own.
B) I have an issue with the deceit involved.

I would have held off on a purchase of "Terror in Meeple City" until reviews came in and I could possibly try it out. I pre-ordered "Rampage" because I believed that this was an officially licensed game for something I loved (and I thought that I could trust Asmodee to not pull a stunt like this). Part of what I put my money towards was being a part of the revival of that in board game form. Instead, I find out I inadvertently contributed to what I would view as akin to the HQ25 debacle, which I have a huge problem with.


OK.

I thought it was pretty clear that it was an homage and tribute based on the videogame but certainly not licensed.
It doesn't compare to HQ25 for me since Rampage was never a boardgame to begin with.

Also the people who would be licensing the rights most likely have nothing to do with the original game themselves.

I can see your point of view.

For me it is more like Vlaada's tributes such as Dungeon Lords.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.