Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will soon teach this game to my brother. Both he and I were Tolkien fans as teenagers. He is not a gamer, although he has already played and enjoyed some difficult co-ops with me, such as Pandemic and Ghost Stories. I believe LotR can be a nice way for us to spend time together now and then, but it will critically depend on his first impression about the game.

I recently taught LotR to a friend of mine who is a long-time gamer, but to my surprise his reaction was luckwarm. I believe this was in part due to the factions we selected for his first play: I got Tactics and he played with Lore (we did not build decks). During the game I dealt with most of the enemies and he was relegated to a support role.

So: any tips on teaching LotR so that the new player gets hooked?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
let him choose his heroes and base the rest of the decks and your heroes around that. even if you fail he had fun with his heroes hopefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fameros wrote:
During the game I dealt with most of the enemies and he was relegated to a support role.

This makes you as the main player of the game and the other person is mostly just following along -- not fun.
Keep things simple for the first game, but involve all players in the action of the game otherwise they are just watching you play.

Sticking with mono-sphere decks for simplicity is a good idea and definitely have decks pre-built for new players. I find Leadership to be the most well-rounded sphere so that's a good sphere for new players.

Play an easy scenario like Passage through Mirkwood so it's not too challenging for a first game. It's a simple scenario but that's helpful for learning the rules before introducing more rules.

Consider playing the first game with your hands exposed. Offer suggestions saying you can do this and this at this time, but save this card for these possibilities that can come up. But don't play for them; let them make the decision of what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely give him a more active sphere role such as tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Definitely give him a more active sphere role such as tactics.

I just had my first solo game with tactics and I failed so hard it wasn't even funny anymore... but I guess with two it might make sense???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure tactics in solo play is not a good idea. Now if you have all the possible cards, then it may get closer to being viable, but still not a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladimir17 wrote:
Pure tactics in solo play is not a good idea. Now if you have all the possible cards, then it may get closer to being viable, but still not a big deal.

That would've been noteworthy in the rules, don't you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo mono tactics is viable only with certain cards, which help balance the disadvantages this sphaire has. You defenitely need hama and legolas as heroes , i use beregond as my third, and some event dards like thicket of spears, feint and trained for war

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junkfoot wrote:
That would've been noteworthy in the rules, don't you think?

Not really, no. All you need is to look at how the game works - willpower is the king, because you cannot advance quests without it. All right, there is Legolas and Blade of Gondolin, but that's not much. Also Battle and Siege quests (that use attack or defense respectively for questing) are still quite rare.
Then look at willpower stat for tactics heroes and alliesand you'll see that it is usually....quite bit lacking (read: terrible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... the manual says choose one of the four decks, so I assumed, they are somewhat balanced, I didn't want to check out all the decks, so sure, it might be my fault, but who grasps those rules that perfectly before the first play that they can even fathom what is really important?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Junkfoot wrote:
Well... the manual says choose one of the four decks, so I assumed, they are somewhat balanced, I didn't want to check out all the decks, so sure, it might be my fault, but who grasps those rules that perfectly before the first play that they can even fathom what is really important?

I agree, the Tactics sphere is surprisingly ineffective in the Core set, compared to the other three. I still haven't been able to beat the introductory quest with pure Tactics, although it is a breeze with any of the others.

In a sense, this is thematically appropriate. In the LotR saga, in general the good guys are materially overpowered, but they pull off victories by means of their superior knowledge and willpower. Even in the climactic final battle of The Return of King, it is Aragorn's leadership and lore which makes the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got hooked quite a bit and by now I understand how it's not possible to beat a quest with almost no questing capacity - because that's what the brutality tactics deck is definitely not about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
Junkfoot wrote:

this is true....but not your fault

I was all tactics at first, till I read online, here most likely, that's it's not that doable. And I tried often before I learned otherwise.

Def. a con for this game. But once known, you move on and can play the game and actually win a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually pretty pretty awesome as a solo game. It'd just help the game's wellbeing if something like that would be mentioned in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.