Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bart has been on me about going to it ever since we started filming the HAMTAG videos. I'm considering going to it for a few days, but in my words, "I'm not driving to Dallas to play some friggin' Euros!"

And as much as I love Ameritrash, I don't need to drive to Dallas to play it: Mistermarino (my AT mentor) and I play it all the time right here in Wichita.

I have to know that I can get sufficient wargaming in. I know WBC is the place to be, but a drive to Dallas is less than 6 hrs. Pennsylvania is a wee bit farther.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
I often spend the whole week at bgg playing wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
As you know, I will be there! Yes, I plan on playing wargames!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
As you know, I will be there! Yes, I plan on playing wargames!

You're the biggest reason I'm even considering going, man. The chance to see the Hands in the Sea prototype and get my copy of Caesar's Gallic War signed? Boo yah.

The problem is, once folks figure out how awesome HitS is, I have visions of people lined up around the block to try it out and you'll be busy all the time, and that would leave me stuck playing lame Euros or playing solitaire wargames, which isn't my idea of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Miner
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a wargame thread that pops up closer to the con and lots of wargame plotting and planning. It is worth it as a war gamer. I got in a wargame of choice every day I was there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be my fourth year going and can say that if you want to spend all day, every day war gaming, you can. There are enough wargamers and wargames going that the Wargame dedicated rooms always have something going on. I don't think I touched a Euro game last year and I was spending 12-16 hours gaming each day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play almost exclusively wargames every year, and it's definitely easy to find all the wargaming you'd like.

Keep an eye out for the wargame scheduling geeklist that goes up Sept, put up by
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll send you a geekmail in case you miss it, and would really enjoy playing something with you myself.

One thing we've all learned the hard way is that it's not necessary or even very productive to schedule every part of the day. The schedule itself becomes a monster that controls your Con and takes a lot of fun out it. I mostly schedule long multiplayer games that need preparation (Here I Stand) or experiences I don't want to miss (Unhappy King Charles with Roger) and do pickup games in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to be there and, if so, will be happy to play some wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itsmarty wrote:
I play almost exclusively wargames every year, and it's definitely easy to find all the wargaming you'd like.

Keep an eye out for the wargame scheduling geeklist that goes up Sept, put up by
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll send you a geekmail in case you miss it, and would really enjoy playing something with you myself.

One thing we've all learned the hard way is that it's not necessary or even very productive to schedule every part of the day. The schedule itself becomes a monster that controls your Con and takes a lot of fun out it. I mostly schedule long multiplayer games that need preparation (Here I Stand) or experiences I don't want to miss (Unhappy King Charles with Roger) and do pickup games in between.

Thanks, man!

Yeah, I hate schedules. I'm looking to play games that don't play well on Vassal. Dan and I talked about playing Prussia's Defiant Stand. I wouldn't mind getting in a game of A House Divided or Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage (neither play well by Vassal/PBEM) and perhaps learn a new game or two or play something from my Unplayed List (Bobby Lee!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going (this will be my 6th year) and as Marty mentioned, there's a lot of grogs that attend and you can play nothing but all week if that's what you want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
with a purposeful grimace
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I'll second what others have said. You can easily spend the entire convention playing nothing but wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

We can definitely make a pickup game of this happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When is it? I had to skip CSW (again... it always occurs right when school lets out, which is a very busy time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The week before Thanksgiving (not week OF, but week before).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsmarty wrote:
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's last year's, if you want to get an idea of what sorts of plans people were making.

I don't remember what I added to the spaces I left in my schedule, but before I even got on the plane I had almost 40 hours of wargaming scheduled. (Although--don't tell anyone I said this--at this point, having been to every BGG.CON ever, what I'm scheduling is not games so much as time with people I want to hang out with.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year was my second year and the first year I signed up on Chris' wargame list. I played wargames everyday and met some great people. Had the time of my life. Already have the badge and my hotel room booked for this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just jumping in for emphasis......

This will be my 4th year. I have used Chris' list the last 2 years with much success. Now have a BGGCON "group" that I schedule with. Last year we scheduled 2 games a day and found that it was hard to keep game #2 each day on schedule. This year we are scheduling 1 game a day with other games "lined up" as follow up games.

The war game group at BGGCON is a good group. Lots of fun and laughing, along with some memorable games. For me BGGCON is a must attend event every year.

Hope to see you Judd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
blockhead wrote:
When is it? I had to skip CSW (again... it always occurs right when school lets out, which is a very busy time)

Next year, CSW will be later in June.

It's going to be hell here heatwise, but should be more available
to people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
blockhead wrote:

Next year, CSW will be later in June.

It's going to be hell here heatwise, but should be more available
to people.

It's on the bucket list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually cooling down on the idea now. I was only going to go down for the weekend. I don't have the vacation budgeted to burn up 4 days from work for it.

I talked to Aaron at game night a few weeks ago and he mentioned there was an early bird special, but that night was the last night. Since we don't finish until after midnight, I was hosed. I checked it out and it looks like the rate is $120. I don't want to pay all that for 1.5 days of gaming.

Do folks ever leave early? I'd be willing to buy their last 2 days if they allow that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be there as usual, and like many of the others, I play more wargames there than not. This will be my 9th year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Do folks ever leave early? I'd be willing to buy their last 2 days if they allow that.

They don't allow sharing/transferring badges. Sounds like this might be a 2015 plan, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Change in vacation plans. I'm going. See ya all there.

and if I get stuck playing Euros...well...I'm all out of bubble gum. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
You will only get stuck playing Euros if you chose too. Trust me you can schedule wargames all con. See you there. I am there Tuesday through Sunday (though Sunday and Tuesday are pretty much travel).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.