Popular Tags: [View All]
james schweig
United States
SAN FRANCISCO
California
flag msg tools
I bought this for no reason
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played an almost complete game of 18xx Australia. I haven't played IN a while, but is this version good for beginners? The rulebook seems incomplete, not describing buying stocks for example.

Cheers,

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
1800 is based on and assumes you know 1830. 1830 has a fairly clean rule set compared to many other 18xx titles. 1800 is an OK game but I suggest getting 1830 as many other 18xx are derivatives or refinements on that set of rules or they assume you are starting from 1830. Besides, it's a terrific 18xx that should be available via online game stores.

-Ron

philosophant wrote:
I have played an almost complete game of 18xx Australia. I haven't played IN a while, but is this version good for beginners? The rulebook seems incomplete, not describing buying stocks for example.

Cheers,

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1800 is just too small to be exciting.

And if you were looking to pnp it yourself, it has the added downfall of having way too many track tiles for a map so small.

Go 1830 or 1889 (89 is available in pnp)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1889 is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lokemoen
msg tools
The great advantages of 1800 are that it plays in about 90 minutes, and you can build your own for a few bucks. I don't know of a lower-investment way to try an 18xx, and anyone who plays it should come away with a solid grasp of the rules to 1830.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.