Hide
15 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: I dont remember seeing this is the rules.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
flag msg tools
But can the OL get a minion to take a search token? If there is one within reach and id rather not have the heroes get it, can i take it instead, or "use it"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short anwer : No.

Long answer : No, unless the encounter explicitly says that monsters can interact with search counters. If so, just follow the written rules of the encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
perfect thanks.. ill just have to keep them away with other methods

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The best way to keep heroes from searching most of the time is to simply rush the objectives. Searching takes time, and valuable actions. If the OL is playing well, the heroes should usually feel like they can't afford to spend time searching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one more way to do it. If you get Raythen Lieutenant Pack you'll get access to Plot card that lets your monsters take search tokens and run around with them. Heroes can't search the tokens until they defeat given monster. Once you get more cards from this deck you'll get buffs for monsters who stole the search tokens.

Novacat's way is still the best, but stealing tokens is evil :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is evil. thanks for the idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
anyone know where i can get small treasure chests like the ones in the pic?

And maybe any ideas for an objective token replacement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fido Montoya
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telnets wrote:
anyone know where i can get small treasure chests like the ones in the pic?

And maybe any ideas for an objective token replacement?

I know that the prepainted Dungeons and Dragons miniatures line has similar small treasure chests in the perfect scale. I got a couple some time back to spice up my Drizzt D&D board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They also used to be in Hero Quest (as I remember correctly).

Also Mage Knight Dungeons has awesome treasure chests... (but I think they are a little bit bigger - more treasure laugh )

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper has this: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/chest/latest/77138#det...
and this http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/chest/latest/02313
and this http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/chest/latest/P30007G + http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/chest/latest/P30007F

and if you use mimic card http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/chest/latest/77048 heh, heh.

But all of this is kind of expensive, as you would need to get multiple copies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
yeah i saw those ones.. i like the clean, simple closed chest as im not going to be painting them...

i think i may have to just sculpt and cast my own in resin to get what i need.... ive done that process before and its not too difficult.. maybe that will be my best option at this point

almost looks like by the time i order and pay shipping anywhere, its about the same cost anyhow as buying the 4 bottles of silicone mould and resin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
How will you deal with special search tokens?

Sometimes one of the search tokens is a key or quest item, which must be hidden to players (and overlord sometimes IIRC) so you would need a special chest which appeas identical.

I guess ideally you an open the chest and look inside then put different items or colours inside to tell them apart! Or just mark them underneath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Probably just mark it underneith is all.. if they could open, then I would need to make a 2 part mould and figure out how to hindge the lids etc, while it would be cool and all, I dont think I want to spend that sort of time/detail on them Im good with just putting an X on the bottom or such.

Im good enough to sculpt a check, but im no professional, so the easier the better for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Remember figures can stand on search tokens, so models for them can be awkward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to put the chest model on top of the normal search token, so if we need to move the chest to place a model there, it's clear to everyone that it's a search token space.

For the outdoor scenarios I made these to search instead of chests, as big wooden treasure chest looked weird in the middle of a forest path!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.