Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Steel Wolves: The German Submarine Campaign Against Allied Shipping – Vol 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Minefield rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Statham
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
All,

I am a bit confused on whether or not the Ace Skipper modifier applies to the Attack Results Table dr of a minefield laid in the U-Boat's current turn (Patrol Movement Phase).

Rule 26.21 says to resolve the attack with no modifiers; however, rule 26.4 heavily implies that Ace Skipper modifier is used in current turn (Patrol Movement Phase) attacks, but that the Ace Skipper modifier is not used in Minefield attacks as part of Prep for Operations [11.2].

The text in 26.4 of "except there is no Ace Skipper modifier to the die roll" is what is perplexing me.

Thanks for the assistance,

-- SSTK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo B-D
Germany
Bielefeld
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alan,

I think that´s an mistake in the rules.
There isn´t a Ace Skipper-Modifier for mine laying defined.

Therefore you could´t use it on any dice roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Statham
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Yes - my thoughts as well -- SSTK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Miller
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No super skipper mods for minefields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Statham
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Brien - thanks for the definitive answer -- SSTK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Miller
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are welcome. Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Statham
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Another Minefield Question..... I am trying to determine the correct Endurance Check (EC) drm for a U-Boat that successfully place a minefield in the operations segment.

Is it automatically a +1 drm or does that drm get added to other drms?

Which example below is the correct way to handle?

EXAMPLE 1: During it's Operation Segment, U-33 (Mine 2) patrol moves into English SMZ and takes a Transit check per [12.1]; U-33 is unspotted and continues with the Ops Segment. U-33 bypasses a Search and Contact attempt because per [26.0] no attacks can be made prior to placing the minefield. Section [14.0] is skipped cause no contact; so proceed to placing minefield; resolve minefield and then move to adjacent OpArea for EC with drms = +1 placed minefield; -2 Search and Contact bypassed [13.1] = -1 drm total.

EXAMPLE 2: During it's Operation Segment, U-33 (Mine 2) patrol moves into English SMZ and takes a Transit check per [12.1]; U-33 is unspotted so then per [26.1],place minefield; resolve minefield and then move to adjacent OpArea for EC with +1 drm for placing minefield?

Thanks
-- SSTK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Fisgus
Germany
Flörsheim-Dalsheim
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interessting question, Alan; I'm in week 3, Sep 39 in the historical campagain, and so far I did it like in your Example 2. In [26.3] it states, that a U-Boat, after laying a minefield, is moved from SMZ to adjacent OP and performs an EC with a +1 DRM.
The longer I think about it, the more I get confused... your Example 1 seems not completely illogical at all, but feels like giving mine-laying subs a bit of an advantage?!

Would be interesting to hear others opinion on this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.