Subject: Loss & Mourning (losing a loved one) [R?] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mandiekinz
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Professor Xavier convinced Katniss to leave her home at 221B Baker Street. She jumped into the Impala shouting, "Allons-y!" .....
badge
.... to take The Ring down the yellow brick road, all through the black of the 'verse, to Narnia, to shine like a star, while saving the Enterprise from the Six-fingered Slytherin Sith.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found out through today's events that I am terrible at dealing with loss/death of a loved one.
My roommate and I had five cats total. One got hit by a car this morning.
He was only six years old.
I feel sad and don't know how to stop feeling sad or angry.
What helps you when dealing with death?
In the meantime, here's a video of the fluffy cat in question getting a bath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I don't know of anything that helps immediately, other than the company of others who share your grief. Do take care of your body, though; it helps your mind hold up as your emotions swing from pole to pole. My warm condolences go with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cara Moses
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so sorry for your loss. I have five cats of my own (plus two strays). I'm sure I would be overwhelmed with grief if something happened to one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't think that a person owns a cat, but rather he or she gets to experience a manifestation of the Universal Catness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The method of passing can contribute to emotional turmoil. In this case there is a person(s) to directly blame which will heighten the emotion significantly. Time is the worst healer(because it takes so long) but also the mkst complete. Keep busy in the short term to keep your front-brain distracted while the himdbrain does it's own subconcious thing. Also spend a lot of time with the fluffy ones remaining. It will help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandiekinz
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Professor Xavier convinced Katniss to leave her home at 221B Baker Street. She jumped into the Impala shouting, "Allons-y!" .....
badge
.... to take The Ring down the yellow brick road, all through the black of the 'verse, to Narnia, to shine like a star, while saving the Enterprise from the Six-fingered Slytherin Sith.
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
It's sad when someone losses a loved one. However you lost a pet. meh.

I am really surprised anyone still has this mindset. "He's just a pet."
We spent time together, actually a lot more time together than most of my actual family members, over the years. He was my little brother. Always getting into trouble or bringing home a dead rat, or even just being annoying. But those moments where he was adorable, sweet, and there for me when no one else was, means he was the best friend anyone could have asked for and deserves to be treated as such. Him having a simple mind doesn't lessen how I felt for him, or how much I miss him now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandiekinz
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
That's sad.

Who are you?

Is this a sock puppet? One that forgot to sign out? Vice versa, perhaps?

No.
I read the RSP forums moreso than post in them.
I think the people I have had the most interactions with are The Message anda few others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing a pet can be hard, especially in cases like this one where it wasn't from a natural end-of-life.

I don't know that there's a "right" way to handle it. Just give yourself time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm not sure a cat death rises to the level of losing a loved one. Every 11 seconds a cat or dog is exterminated in America. And even then some scientific studies have suggested that domestic cats, like the 5 the OP owns, are responsible for between 1 and 4 billion bird kills per year. Cats are only marginally domesticated and primarily feral creatures who train humans to do their bidding. They spread disease and create breathing problems for millions of Americans.

Still, it's never pleasant to lose a pet, especially if you're a person who considers a feral animal a loved one.

Dogs, on the other hand, have been domesticated for tens of thousands of years (possible much, much longer) and they are the valued working companions, through the ages, of hunters, herders, soldiers and families. They can track criminals, protect property and life, sniff out bombs and drugs, bring joy to the disabled and infirm in hospitals and hospices, they catch Frisbees, compete in sports, retrieve birds, herd cattle and horses, lead the blind, sound the alarm and hundreds of other daily tasks and small joys that human beings around the world appreciate.

So losing a dog is actually a lot more like losing a loved one because dogs are by and large everything a cat isn't. And the bonus is when you have a dog trained properly they keep nuisance cats off your property.

Sorry for the loss of your animal. I recommend trading the cats in for a dog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
I'm not sure a cat death rises to the level of losing a loved one. Every 11 seconds a cat or dog is exterminated in America. And even then some scientific studies have suggested that domestic cats, like the 5 the OP owns, are responsible for between 1 and 4 billion bird kills per year. Cats are only marginally domesticated and primarily feral creatures who train humans to do their bidding. They spread disease and create breathing problems for millions of Americans.

Still, it's never pleasant to lose a pet, especially if you're a person who considers a feral animal a loved one.

Dogs, on the other hand, have been domesticated for tens of thousands of years (possible much, much longer) and they are the valued working companions, through the ages, of hunters, herders, soldiers and families. They can track criminals, protect property and life, sniff out bombs and drugs, bring joy to the disabled and infirm in hospitals and hospices, they catch Frisbees, compete in sports, retrieve birds, herd cattle and horses, lead the blind, sound the alarm and hundreds of other daily tasks and small joys that human beings around the world appreciate.

So losing a dog is actually a lot more like losing a loved one because dogs are by and large everything a cat isn't. And the bonus is when you have a dog trained properly they keep nuisance cats off your property.

Sorry for the loss of your animal. I recommend trading the cats in for a dog.

I like *other* people's dogs. I like petting and playing with them and letting them go back home with someone else. As for owning one they remind me too mich of a neocon politician. Both will shit in your living room and think it's a sign of affection. (There, now it is a properly RSP thread)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really sorry to hear about the loss of your cat.

Time and talking the main healer of wounds of this type.

Here's a nice sequence:
http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-Death

I suggest more of an irish wake for your cat. Get out the pictures and celebrate its life. Talk about the funny things it did. It's quirks.

Grieving and sadness for a few months is normal. If you find you are still strongly grieving after a few months- you may want to seek professional help. And if you have free grief counseling at work (many companies offer 4 weeks a year anonymous counseling as a benefit), there's no reason you can't take advantage of that sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
That's sad.

Who are you?

Is this a sock puppet? One that forgot to sign out? Vice versa, perhaps?

Violintides posted a lot while you were off the last time. She's got about 1/3 as many thumbs as you do.

She doesn't own Agricola, so she's a good person.

BTW, you and I share a similar opinion of Agricola.

(Compare paper work and Agricola...
One is tedious, sometimes even bureaucratic, and a huge waste of time. The other is about filling out forms ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I'm sticking with the sock puppet theory.

Must admit, never had much use for cats. The wife got a cat a few years back. Good cat, which basically means he's not at all annoying. Well now... Since getting the cat I got a squirrel problem. Last year he caught a couple. This year he has really refined his technique. He has made such a dent in the squirrel population that I am seriously considering getting another, younger cat so this one can teach a new one his technique before he gets hit by a car. As cats go, this one has brains.

Reminds me of this: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
galad2003 wrote:
It's sad when someone losses a loved one. However you lost a pet. meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.