Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dag Rabbit
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I recently got this game for my 6 year old son for his birthday. We're using the English rules from the files section to play, and I wanted to give a few impressions after a couple plays.

First, the components are a mixed bag. The ghosts are cute and sturdy, the board is good, but the cards are a little cheap and the dice are stickered. I'm a little worried about the cards long term, but otherwise I think it will handle repeated plays pretty well.

The rules are pretty clear, except for one thing that wasn't clear from the rules: where to put the gems at the start. They show some icons on the etup image, but that only covers four gems. We settled for putting one jewel in each "red" room at the start. The game is definately playable using just the translated rules and German components.

The game itself is fun, fitting as an entry point on the Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, Pandemic spectrum. The general tension of those games is present: how to make progress towards winning (getting all the jewels) while keep the spread of the baddies (ghosts) in check. A lot of randomness comes from the die rolls, and that can, potentially, make the game a bit unfun. There's nothing in the game to mitigate the die rolls, so a bad streak can sink the game.

We've only played the basic game, and my six year old gets it pretty well. He tends to want to fight ghosts at the expense of rescuing jewels, and he doesn't get the deeper strategic goals of the game, but he makes his own decisions and has a lot of fun with it. We likely won't move up to the advanced game any time soon, so there's something to grow into here.

So there's a couple hiccups, but overall I'm pretty happy with this game. The Kinderspiel award seems to always point out good games for my kids, and this one is no exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct about placing the gems.

The advanced version is quite a bit tougher than the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
thearkhammonk wrote:

Does the advanced version add anything to mitigate/manage bad rolls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gciscell wrote:
thearkhammonk wrote:

Does the advanced version add anything to mitigate/manage bad rolls?

Not at all, in the advanced game the tokens are placed out randomly and the adventurers must recover them in order. When you enter a room, you may flip a treasure token, this ends your movement, but you can still fight a ghost. It also adds the additional locked doors cards and draw 2/3 and shuffle cards.

I don't mind the bad rolls as such. It's just part of a roll and move game. We haven't had many problems beating the base game, the advanced game is a bit tougher, especially with the Draw 2/3 cards. It's all about how your team works together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
It makes the game harder in multiple ways, but does not address the randomness of the die.

Have you considered trying it with a deck of dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dag Rabbit
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I don't want to overstate the dice issue. It's mostly the roll and move aspect that can be unfun. Getting a couple 1's when you're trying to move through a hallway, or getting a big number when you're just scooting to the next room. Most modern games have an action point system, and I'm surprised there isn't something similar here. It's not more complicated for the target age group.

The dice combat is fine because that can be mitigated somewhat by traveling together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Leung
Singapore
flag msg tools
One simple thing that shld be different could have been reversing the effect of drawing a ghost card from the 6 side of the dice to the 1 side... It really sucks to move one space and ALSO draw a bad card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.