Subject: "D-Day in HD"-- What did you think? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the SMG Facebook page is showing unexpected signs of life, I thought I'd help-- first, to alert folks that the page is showing unexpected signs of life (although no 'news' from LBG), and second to repost the interesting question over here.

Some folks don't do FB but I bet lots of us managed to catch this show on the History Channel last weekend.

Quote:
Okay- time to start the discussion.
What did everyone think about "D-Day in HD"?

I'll just post and not 'start' the discussion myself. Let others begin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to like it. I really enjoyed most of the commentary from the veterans themselves as well as the "voice of the other side" but the whole thing fell flat for me with the constantly repeated imagery and the recaps after every commercial break.

I give the show a C+ and the vets that served that day an A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with that, Martin. I had heard great things about the show being very accurate and they did some things that really impressed me. Back when I was handling the FB page, I did a long series of historical (and present day) pix for the release of La Fiere Bridge and so I was impressed that, whenever they started talking about the paras there being daunted by the sound of approaching German armor, they kept showing old French tanks (which, as part of a 'training battalion' were actually what attacked LF Bridge). They never mentioned the French tanks or the training battalion, and they would slide off those pix and show Tigers and StuGs and stuff, but still...

But yes, too many recaps (do they really think the audience for THIS kind of show is changing every 10 mins?) and too many shots shown over and over-- that poor bastard, #3 in line, getting knocked down on the beach who we have seen for years... we must have seen him 50 times in 4 hours. And watching the last 4 rounds run through that German MG-- there were actually two of those shots, weren't there, and we saw them again and again. Distinct mention of Waffen SS but (even though we saw them) nothing about German paras. And calling the 352 a "battle hardened division" seemed a bit much. They actually performed far better than even their commanders could have expected, but they were only formed in late 1943...

The fact it was called "D-Day" and really only about Omaha and part of the US para ops was a bit chintzy too. They sort of mentioned the other beaches and I recall a picture of the "Pegasus" bridge but all we really got was Omaha and LF Bridge and a few other entirely US things.

I did enjoy the veterans talking a great deal and would have liked even more commentary from 'the other side.' I'd be hard pressed to go any higher than your C+ on the production. (The veterans don't get a grade, other than 'great.')

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
The fact it was called "D-Day" and really only about Omaha and part of the US para ops was a bit chintzy too. They sort of mentioned the other beaches and I recall a picture of the "Pegasus" bridge but all we really got was Omaha and LF Bridge and a few other entirely US things.
Oooh, I forgot to mention that. Actually, historians have proven that the landings on the other beaches were a hoax to get Hitler to release the Panzers. In actuality there was only Omaha Beach and about 1,500 troopswhistle

I realize that there are not that many veterans left alive, but the recap time should have been used to hear from/about all the beaches and paras and decoys both friendly and enemy. While I give them credit for doing anything new, the focus was too much on Omaha and then a couple of "interior battles" rather than the whole day. The Normandy Landings were not just an American triumph.

I will also add that the discussions of the hedgerow fighting was pretty fascinating and the coverage of the storm that almost ruined it all was also welcomed.

kduke wrote:
I did enjoy the veterans talking a great deal and would have liked even more commentary from 'the other side.' I'd be hard pressed to go any higher than your C+ on the production. (The veterans don't get a grade, other than 'great.')
Truly.

I did also enjoy the NBC Nightly News coverage and interviews with veterans this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
badge
mbmb
I've got it recorded, which seems like an advantage based on these reviews. "Fingers on the fast forward button!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Double advantage--there were some long commercial breaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.