Hide
1 Posts

Pit» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deleted User 1
msg tools
Ah, Pit. If you were to peruse my collection ratings on BoardgameGeek, you’d find that there are only two games I’ve rated a 10 – Diplomacy and Pit. To me, Pit is a classic game – it’s unlike any other game, it’s ridiculously easy to learn, and it’s a tremendous amount of fun.

Funny then, I haven’t played it in quite a while. It’s a bit too much of a party game for our usual sessions. I did throw it in my bag when I came to this session as I wasn’t sure how many people we’d have. Dan spied it and asked if we could play it.

A recent arrival, Dan’s wife Diane, joined us. A few people had played it before, but it had been a while for them so we went over the rules.

The card deck is a set of commodities such as Corn, Barley, Sugar, etc. There are 9 of each commodity. Everybody gets dealt nine cards and the object is for them to get a complete set of one commodity. Pretty simple, eh? The question is, how do you get a complete set? By trading!

But how do you trade? Well, you yell out a number of cards you want to trade, from one to four (they must be all the same commodity) – you only yell out the number of cards you want to trade, not the commodity. If someone is yelling the same number as you are, you trade cards. Simple, eh?

Now remember, everyone is doing this simultaneously and everyone is trying to complete their sets at the same time and as soon as possible. This spells mayhem. Everybody is yelling numbers and trading all at once, and it gets pretty hectic.

As soon as someone completes a set, they slap it down on the table and the round ends. The player who completed the set gets the number of points on the commodity (some commodities are worth more points than others). The cards are gathered up and redealt and a new round begins. The first one up to a certain number of points (we played 250) wins the game.

Our game was a typically noisy one. Joe took an early lead, winning two rounds very quickly. The rest of us took turns winning the rest of the rounds and in the end, I was able to grab the win.

Score:

*Rick* - 275
Joe – 145
William – 100
Dan – 50
David – 35
Sheri - -20
Diane - -65

It’s funny, if you look at the scores, it seems to rank all of us in order from noisiest to quietest. What a coincidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.