Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Thematic Games» Forums » General

Subject: Simple Dungeon Crawls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wanda Green
United States
San Angelo
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Hello. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with any simple dungeon crawls appropriate for ages 8-10-ish and up. I am a librarian and I run a gaming program once a month at our library. Each month is a different theme or style game. For July, I would like to introduce dungeon crawls, but most I am familiar with are too complicated, too adult, etc. Any suggestions for super easy ones to play and teach?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Loot and Scoot
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is reasonably simple (as long as you have one player who knows the rules well) and well themed for kids.

EDIT: On second thought though, it's really intended for campaign play, which might not be great for a one-shot game day. And it is rather sexist, though that's going to be hard to avoid with most dungeon crawls.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randywandarusell wrote:
Hello. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with any simple dungeon crawls appropriate for ages 8-10-ish and up. I am a librarian and I run a gaming program once a month at our library. Each month is a different theme or style game. For July, I would like to introduce dungeon crawls, but most I am familiar with are too complicated, too adult, etc. Any suggestions for super easy ones to play and teach?


Hey Wanda,

For kids that young I think Dungeon! is a good choice. It has the added bonus of being available online for around $15.

14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus Maximus wrote:
randywandarusell wrote:
Hello. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with any simple dungeon crawls appropriate for ages 8-10-ish and up. I am a librarian and I run a gaming program once a month at our library. Each month is a different theme or style game. For July, I would like to introduce dungeon crawls, but most I am familiar with are too complicated, too adult, etc. Any suggestions for super easy ones to play and teach?


Hey Wanda,

For kids that young I think Dungeon! is a good choice. It has the added bonus of being available online for around $15.



Ooh, good suggestion! I sure liked Dungeon when I was a kid.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Green
United States
San Angelo
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Thanks--I think I even own that one--I forgot about it, but I do remember it being fairly easy to play and teach to my own kiddos. I also have Mice and Mystics. I haven't played it yet--perhaps we could just do the first campaign of the game? This will give me a good motivation to start playing it! I don't have loot and scoot--I will have to check that one out. I appreciate the suggestions! I may have as many as 40 kids show up--I did last week for cooperative games, so the more suggestions the better!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Roll is really on the simple side. Not sure if it is a good choice or not, but it might work.

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and the other D&D board games are options...not sure if they qualify as kid appropriate or not.

Unfortunately, "simple" and "dungeon crawl" don't tend to overlap a lot.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Fantasy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aradraug
Czech Republic
Novy Jicin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try Gauntlet of Fools
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Defenders of the Realm is actually pretty simple if you just play the base game. Not quite a "dungeon crawl" because you are on a world map, but accomplishes the same goals.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Dungeon Raiders.

Fast, easy and fun. Also provides a clear lesson about patience and planning.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaJack wrote:


Not short. Not fair. Dice are nasty on this one. Set up takes as long as play time. Chris Taylor is one of my favorite designers but this one was a miss.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Jarvi
United States
Eureka
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroQuest It's what got me into gaming as a kid.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
My five year old loves dungeon and turns are quick.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Ravenloft suffers from boring artwork. Sold my copy. I expect more from a modern game I'm afraid! Also I wasn't too impressed with the game play. There's better games out there to spend my time on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DungeonQuest (at least the 1985 edition) is REAL simple. And I would think you could consider it a dungeon crawl. Also, kids love this. there really isn't any player conflict and it's a hoot to just laugh at how badly the dungeon treats you. Sometimes I'll only get half way to the dragon's layer (at the center of the board), figure I don't have time to get there and back and just turn around and head to the closest tower ( with ZERO gp) and STILL win simply because I'm the only one that made it out alive.

-zombie
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Hero Kids.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randywandarusell wrote:
Thanks--I think I even own that one--I forgot about it, but I do remember it being fairly easy to play and teach to my own kiddos. I also have Mice and Mystics. I haven't played it yet--perhaps we could just do the first campaign of the game? This will give me a good motivation to start playing it! I don't have loot and scoot--I will have to check that one out. I appreciate the suggestions! I may have as many as 40 kids show up--I did last week for cooperative games, so the more suggestions the better!


My daughter and I started playing "Mice & Mystics when she was 7 - we both love it. But at that age it does take an adult to help with the game play & rules.

And I'll second "Dungeon" too - she also enjoys that one. Younger ones can play that without an adult once they understand the rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tinky Winky
Australia
Yungaburra
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would put in another vote for DungeonQuest. We have the latest edition and it is basically the same as the 80s version. My kids (7&5)love it, and have no problem with the rules. They also love the D&D board games (we have Legend of Drizzt) but they take a little longer to play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Berriman
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice & Mystics and the Dungeons & Dragons board games are fantastic dungeon crawlers that are easy to teach to kids and easy for kids to learn. Also, they're both cooperative, which is a big bonus when playing with children, in my opinion.

Now, for older kids, I'd recommend Space Hulk, Shadows of Brimstone, Descent, Imperial Assault, Incursion, Level 7 Omega Protocol, Claustrophobia, Doom, and Gears of War... all outstanding, but maybe too complicated for children that don't have a foundation in boardgaming.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Morley
United Kingdom
Hastings
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Solo Dungeon Bash
http://blackdogofdoom.blogspot.com/2010/09/solo-dungeon-bash...

It is free
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fisher
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
StormKnight wrote:


EDIT: ...And it is rather sexist, though that's going to be hard to avoid with most dungeon crawls.


Can you unpack that statement a bit? Not debating, just curious as to your meaning.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpeakingDemon wrote:
StormKnight wrote:


EDIT: ...And it is rather sexist, though that's going to be hard to avoid with most dungeon crawls.


Can you unpack that statement a bit? Not debating, just curious as to your meaning.


Yeah I was a little surprised by that statement as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn of the Dad wrote:
DungeonQuest (at least the 1985 edition) is REAL simple. And I would think you could consider it a dungeon crawl. Also, kids love this. there really isn't any player conflict and it's a hoot to just laugh at how badly the dungeon treats you.


I have to second this. The latest edition is just as simple and just as much fun. My daughter, nine, loves the game. And it's just incredible how much narrative and variety there is packed into this game. Every playthrough is a story in itself.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Waz
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boss monster would be my suggestion outside of dungeon roll
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.