Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » General

Subject: This game was misnamed... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristin Gamecaurless
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
It should be called "We're Going to Die." Just finished my first play through with Blade on Mars with Legacy, Haka, and the fast girl hero whom I played but can't remember her name.

We were eeking out a victory just barely maybe when my husband says, "oh yeah, we have to flip the villain card and hit him for 30 more points?!?" Really? Are you kidding me? Clearly this game must be possible to beat. What am I missing?

I really loved it aside from the feeling that I was going to die each moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Some combinations of heroes are better or worse together or against certain villains.

Plus, as you get more experience it will get easier. For example, Tachyon (the fast girl) wants to play as many "Burst" cards into her discard pile so that she can use "Light Speed Barrage" to do a bunch of damage. But you have to know that in advance. If you spend your LSB cards early, that really cuts into her late game power. Similarly, if you don't make an effort to use up Burst cards, the LSB is going to be nerfed.

As an aside, Christopher Badell (designer) once told me that the most damage he ever did in a single turn was with Tachyon - 72.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! Almost forgot.

Welcome to the Multiverse!

I have played over 80 times and I absolutely love the game. Hopefully you continue to enjoy it as well.

EDIT: number of plays changed after looking it up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the fact that different hero/villain/environment combinations are going to make for easier or harder games. The expansions typically up the difficulty also. There is an app I downloaded called the Sentinels Randomizer that allows you to randomize the game, but you can choose whether you want an easier or harder game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lalyman
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
Don't worry, it goes better. Like with all cooperative games, the more you play, the less the game beats you.
One day you'll regret the time Baron Blade was a danger
Never give up, never surrender !
As for advice... Blade must be flipped as soon as possible, don't lose too much time "preparing", go for damage as soon as you can. Even if it means leaving some of the villain/environment targets alive while you concentrate on the Baron - HPs are meant to be lost.

Welcome to the Multiverse !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:
Some combinations of heroes are better or worse together or against certain villains.

Plus, as you get more experience it will get easier. For example, Tachyon (the fast girl) wants to play as many "Burst" cards into her discard pile so that she can use "Light Speed Barrage" to do a bunch of damage. But you have to know that in advance. If you spend your LSB cards early, that really cuts into her late game power. Similarly, if you don't make an effort to use up Burst cards, the LSB is going to be nerfed.

As an aside, Christopher Badell (designer) once told me that the most damage he ever did in a single turn was with Tachyon - 72.

This is so true. I was playing one game where Tachyon was responsible for a boat load of damage because her discard pile was loaded with burst cards.

I've also almost prefer to have Legacy act as the starting hero so that he activates his power first and everyone benefits from the damage boost.

But that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor H
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChyronDave wrote:
MyParadox wrote:

This is so true. I was playing one game where Tachyon was responsible for a boat load of damage because her discard pile was loaded with burst cards.

I've also almost prefer to have Legacy act as the starting hero so that he activates his power first and everyone benefits from the damage boost.

But that's just me.

His boosts remains in play untill His next turn, so it matters less where he is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Test
True, but I like to get it active in the first round so the heavy hitters have that much more punch to them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Well, why did you lose?

Although Blade is a difficulty 1 villain, a bad draw at the beginning can still give him a win. Early draws of Living Force Field and Backlash Field (and Hasten Dooms to get them out while doing hero damage) can give the Baron the win.

Legacy becomes more powerful the more heroes you have, so a three-player game could make him underperform.

Mars is arguably the toughest of the starting four Environments. You don't have a lot of equipment to lose with those three heroes, but Red Dust + Devious Disruption can make sure those Legacy Rings, HUD Goggles, and Haka weapons don't stay out for long. Villainous Weaponry, particularly since it stacks and there's three of them, can easily shift the balance of power against you as well.

Of your three heroes, only Tachyon ("fast girl hero") has environmental destruction. I'd play with a fourth hero and go with someone who has environment/ongoing destruction. Tempest or Wraith, probably, if you just have the starter set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Igarka wrote:
His boosts remains in play untill His next turn, so it matters less where he is.

Yes, but if he goes last on the first turn, then the three heroes preceding him won't get the +1 Galvanize.

Now, on the first turn they may not be doing a lot of damage. If they're not built-in-power right-out-of-the-door damage doers (Wraith, Visionary, Ab Zero, Bunker, Tachyon), then it most likely won't make a difference.

If you load up on heavy hitters like Ra, Haka, Fanatic, and Tempest, then Galvanize can be pretty effective just off of their base power. More so if they also slap down a one-shot card like Elbow Smash or Chain Lightning on that first turn. Or a heavy-hitting Ongoing or Equipment card.

While the heroes may not field a lot of attack damage on their first turns... typically, the villains don't have a lot of defenses, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
Mars is arguably the toughest of the starting four Environments.

Card for card, I feel Atlantis is by far the least forgiving of the base environments.

Mars, even though the Self-Destruct sequence can screw up a lot of new players, it is a very easy environment to abuse because of Meteor Storm.

Pillars of Hercules alone will cause you to loose more games than the Self-Destruct sequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
We don't even worry that much about the Self-Destruct. It's the Weaponries and Red Dusts that cause the most problems for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second what was said on this thread.

The first few games of Sentinels are rough because you don't know what's in the decks and you're still getting the mechanics down. After a few plays you start to figure out there's an optimum combination of heroes to create an epic beatdown on villains. For example, the Matriarch who has bird minions, is a lot easier when Tempest is around to clear them out with Area Effect powers before the birds ever get to attack. Once you figure out the optimum combos then the challenge is avoiding those combos and finding new ways to beat the Villains.

There are some games that are going to be epically unbalanced due to card draws; but even that fits the milieu. Heroes get beaten in the comics only to rise up and give the villain(s) their come-uppance in a later issue. Just look at it as living out one of those story arcs. I'm sure you'll get Blade next time.

From what I've heard, the game is easier with 4 heroes. 3 heroes can be a bit rough but I know people who like to play it that way. I play the game with two other people and what we do is assign two heroes to one player, the second player gets a hero and runs the villain, and the third player gets a hero and runs the environment deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Reznor
msg tools
mb
The Baron loses a lot of his threat potential if you have Visionary on your team since she can put cards from the trash pile back into his deck, resetting his "doomsday device" or whatever you wanna call it. The main challenge is to beat him fast enough. Since he is not packing much of a punch himself, he's just a pushover after basically disabling the time limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:

Saved up till the end and she did 48 in a single finisher move tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Arnold
Canada
Halifax
NS
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
For example, the Matriarch who has bird minions, is a lot easier when Tempest is around to clear them out with Area Effect powers before the birds ever get to attack.

It's a lot easier to get epically slaughtered, that's for sure. The Matriarch hits you back every time a fowl is destroyed. You have to tread carefully with that villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
MyParadox wrote:

Saved up till the end and she did 48 in a single finisher move tonight!

About halfway through my first game with her I drew a LSB. Up to that point I couldn't figure out WHY I'd want to play all those cards that allow me to discard stuff. Then it hit me.

I think I ended up doing 30 something damage with her. Twice in one turn (was holding onto them until the last second).

Tachyon is my favorite character to play.

A buddy of mine is also some sort of savant when it comes to playing with Unity. She does a ton of damage with him at the helm.

I also don't mind (referring to other discussions above) having Legacy go last. Sure you miss out 2-3 damage, but it also means that some turns where you don't get to use galvanize, you get a bit more use out of it. And that 2-3 damage is rarely the cause of winning or losing the game (for me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.