Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Teen Titans Custom Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Mitchell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi All,

I have become obsessed with Marvel Legendary for some time now, and have enjoyed many of the custom cards posted on BGG, and figured it was time I gave back.

My first comic I ever bought was the 1980 classic The New Teen Titans. The younger members here might only know them by the silly TV show (and even sillier reboot) but there was a time when the Teen Titans rivaled the X-Men in popularity.

In the end, I figured I would create all the heroes, villains, henchmen, masterminds, and bystanders I would need to play through the Trigon and Judas Contract story arcs of New Teen Titans. I have everything mapped out on paper, and have started working through the cards. I would also like to give a big shout out to derare for the excellent templates and icons, and to everyone that is active on these boards for the inspiration to get started.

First up: Raven

I wanted Raven to be a support character, that could also bring the hurt by tapping into her darker nature when needed.

Common - Helps heal the team.

Common - Brings the hurt (to both you and the villains)

Uncommon - Goes where she is needed to bring the real heroes to the fight.

Rare - Brings the team together to defeat the big bad.

Let me know what you think of my start so far. I for one wish the art was a lot more cohesive, but I'm having a hard time finding high-quality/word balloon free George Pérez Teen Titans art. If you have some, or know where I can find some, please let me know.

Next up, Starfire.

Jeff

Edited for cost updates 06/10/14
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I love the New Teen Titans. My first issue (and the one that made me an instant fan) was NTT #4 (Vol. 1), which therein had the Titans invade the JLA satellite and take out the JLA, followed by Robin telling off Batman. It's still one of my most treasured comics.

These cards look great. That said, I think Raven is overpowered compared to the official cards. If you don't intend to ever mix your NTT cards with the official (Marvel) cards, it might not be that important. But, just for the sake of debate, compare Raven's "Soul Self" (4 recruit + Teleport = 5 cost?) to Silver Surfer's "Power Cosmic" (3 recruit + Focus = 6 cost). I'd suggest making "Soul Self" either 3-recruit/Teleport/6-cost or 2-recruit/Teleport/5-cost.

Can't wait to see your Villains and Masterminds: Terminator (I still don't like calling him Deathstroke), Fearsome Five, Dr. Light, Brother Blood, and Trigon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
msg tools
mbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
I think Raven is overpowered compared to the official cards. If you don't intend to ever mix your NTT cards with the official (Marvel) cards, it might not be that important. But, just for the sake of debate, compare Raven's "Soul Self" (4 recruit + Teleport = 5 cost?) to Silver Surfer's "Power Cosmic" (3 recruit + Focus = 6 cost). I'd suggest making "Soul Self" either 3-recruit/Teleport/6-cost or 2-recruit/Teleport/5-cost.

Thanks DarthEd,

I agree, I was under-costing everything on my list. I think that comes from working on characters that you love, you want them to be the best. I went through and de-powered our raised the cost of the Raven cards to bring them more in line with the existing cards.

Raven Healing Empath - 3
2*
KO a Wound: Draw a card
compares to:
Wolverine Healing Factor - 3
2#
KO a Wound: Draw a card

Raven Daughter of Trigon - 2
3#
Gain a Wound
compares to:
Colossus Draw Their Fire - 1
3#
Gain a Wound

Raven Soul Self - 5
3*
Teleport
compares to:
Nightcrawler BAMF! - 3
2*
Teleport

Raven Gather Them - 8
3+ #
Teleport +3 other cards
TT: +1# for each TT card played
compares to
Cable Rapid Response Force - 6
3+ #
Teleport
X-Force: +1# for each X-Force card played
and:
Nightcrawler Along for the Ride - 7
5#
Teleport +3 other cards

DarthEd wrote:
Can't wait to see your Villains and Masterminds: Terminator (I still don't like calling him Deathstroke), Fearsome Five, Dr. Light, Brother Blood, and Trigon!

I can't wait until they're all done and sitting in front of me. My only problem is I keep adding cards to the list... So many great characters from the Wolfman/Pérez run.

Thanks for the comments and critiques. Keep 'em coming.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Second UP: Starfire:

Starfire is the heavy artillery of the group, so 3 of her four cards provide attack.

Common - can focus to charge up her solar blasts.

Common - I figured Kori's modeling career would help attract more heroes to the team. I know I wanted to join when I was 13...

Uncommon - Good, basic, reliable attack. Love this image, but the only copy I have is old and washed out. If anyone has a better copy, let me know.

Rare - Starfire was one that would always dig deep as the stakes got higher, so I like the idea of her getting more powerful as the scheme get's closer to completion.

As always, let me know what you think. At the end of the day, I would like this set of cards to be playable, but well balanced with the rest of the game.

Next up, short-pants himself, Robin.

Thanks again,
Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Third UP: Dick Grayson:

Dick is the leader of the team, and the only member without any super powers. He is here to make the team work more efficiently and effectively.

Common - draw a card and help thinning the deck.

Common - More KOing and some help recruiting.

Uncommon - This is his best chance to do damage. This is also my favorite card I've made. I cut up the cover to New Teen Titans #39 and rearranged the pieces. I think it turned out great.

Rare - a bad hand would never hold robin down. With this card, you can redraw, and even pick up an additional card (plan B is always better than plan A).

Again, I wish I could get a more consistent look with the art, but overall I'm happy with how they are turning out.

I'm very happy to hear any comments or criticisms at all. Anything that makes this game play better means more fun for me, so have at it.

Next up, the character with the most convoluted ret-con history in the DC Universe, Donna Troy.

Thanks again,
Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Fourth Up: Donna Troy

Donna was one of the most powerful Teen Titans, but also the heart of the team that provided a the glue that held the team together. Because of that, I wanted her to be versatile.

Common - provides 2 attack or recruit.

Common - Draw a card, and combo for attack or recruit.

Uncommon - Here we see the bizarre retcons and reboots Donna has gone through. I think the variable powers (Versatile 4) and discard and draw superpower really works for a character that has gone through so much change.

Rare - Who is Donna Troy? We may never know (as soon as we think we do, they reboot, or delete her entirely) but, at least on this card we know who she is; a powerhouse.

As always, fell free to let me know what you like, or would like to see changed.

Next up, green genes himself, Changeling.

Thanks again,
Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.