Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sitting in traffic listening to today's Dice Tower and some game idea fell into my head...

you have, say, two rows of 6 card spaces, red on top, blue underneath and a red / blue coin (ahem... a D2 ) You toss it and it lets you pick a basic action card in the blue or red "1" space. Basic. That though leads into building an engine where you can principally either draft cards from stock piles and place them in an empty space OR draft a different type of dice. A blue D4 (meaning you'll always be able to play one of the first four blue cards on rolling), red D6 (any red), D12 (and card at all). Roll your enhanced rabble of dice and map that to tableau of cards infront of you. Further actions on the cards let you move a card over two spaces, shift results of other dies etc... some spots will be more likely to be rolled than others I guess making some spots more valuable than others...

...Does it sound like something that already exists? Does it sounds like it could have potential?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
should I take the deathly silence as a "no, that's probably the most original game ever, go make it!"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not aware that such a game exists. It does make me think somewhat of Quarriors! in a perhaps more streamlined way but I think Quarrior only has D6's and the cards are just "dice" reference... I think, I haven't played it... In your game, I feel like the cards would have a greater role (not just give you access to another die?).

Either way, with all those games with combo/deck building/special power cards, the rules rarely tell you much about whether the game is going to be good or not. Look at Race for the galaxy, San Juan, Glory to rome... These three are very often compared as they all are engine-building with multiple use cards, you pay with your cards and action selection mechanism.

On paper then, these three games are very much alike however, it really is the powers written on the cards that make a huge difference in feel. I am sure I could design another set of cards with the exact same rules as Race For The Galaxy but that would be 1) more/less chaotic, 2) longer/shorter, 3) less fun (or more fun but I don't think I'm that good), 4) more/less brainy...

Overall, I believe you could design a great game or a very bad game with those rules... Why don't you do it and we'll find out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest posting this in the Game Design forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well it either exists or not, not ready to think about the finer points of the mechanisms, and it's much quieter there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Choubi wrote:
I am not aware that such a game exists. It does make me think somewhat of Quarriors! in a perhaps more streamlined way but I think Quarrior only has D6's and the cards are just "dice" reference... I think, I haven't played it... In your game, I feel like the cards would have a greater role (not just give you access to another die?).
Yes, the dice would be a semi random way to activate the cards. So rather than drawing 5 cards, you'd always have all cards in front of you but the dice define what you can use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Just sitting in traffic listening to today's Dice Tower and some game idea fell into my head...

you have, say, two rows of 6 card spaces, red on top, blue underneath and a red / blue coin (ahem... a D2 ) You toss it and it lets you pick a basic action card in the blue or red "1" space. Basic. That though leads into building an engine where you can principally either draft cards from stock piles and place them in an empty space OR draft a different type of dice. A blue D4 (meaning you'll always be able to play one of the first four blue cards on rolling), red D6 (any red), D12 (and card at all). Roll your enhanced rabble of dice and map that to tableau of cards infront of you. Further actions on the cards let you move a card over two spaces, shift results of other dies etc... some spots will be more likely to be rolled than others I guess making some spots more valuable than others...

...Does it sound like something that already exists? Does it sounds like it could have potential?

if you post this on the forum thread 'board game design' im sure you will get more people actively involved in commenting or even helping with some ideas and maybe contributing some graphic/art or some monetary donation to make this game a reality (the system)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

if you post this on the forum thread 'board game design' im sure you will get more people actively involved in commenting or even helping with some ideas and maybe contributing some graphic/art or some monetary donation to make this game a reality (the system)
Just like every aspiring writer has a novel in their head already, I've a few game ideas, but unless I'm going to make my own mock ups and play test a little, I don't think I'm in "design" territory. Personally I don't think I have the motivation to actually try to make them. But it's fun thinking about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Just like every aspiring writer has a novel in their head already, I've a few game ideas, but unless I'm going to make my own mock ups and play test a little, I don't think I'm in "design" territory. Personally I don't think I have the motivation to actually try to make them. But it's fun thinking about it.

please post this thread in the game design forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Alderin
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played it but what you describe sounds like the game Roma by Stefan Feld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.