Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've created a team for this fantasy soccer competition. It's fantasy soccer, so you get a payroll to choose all your players and then have to field a squad each week to score as many points as possible. I'd like more people in my group and I'm feeling pretty confident about my team, so here's the deal: I will give 5gg to anyone from this site that registers for my league and beats my score. In the horribly unlikely event that I run out of geekgold (I hope!) I'll give it away to the highest scorers first. So let's see your teams!

To join my league go here and search for it.

League name: SD Boardgames
Password: Knizia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly doubt I'll beat your score, but, hey, I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Come on guys... I know you want to join. Take my geek gold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
That was harder than it shoud have been. I can't see how anyone is going to be able to afford Messi, at 10M, when that leaves you an average of only 4M each for your other 22 players.
Hell, it was hard enough including a few 5.5M - 6M players because then you need to take 2M players to balance their average salary, and you know they're not even going to be playing.

I fielded some sort of team, however; so I'm in as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah. Since you can only score points with 11 players per week I think that having a full 23-man roster is kind of ridiculous. I would suggest making a good team of 11-15 players and then filling the rest of your squad with bottom-feeders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you be in more than one league? There's a "BGG league" with at least 5 people in already. (Password BGG)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Allright, I don't know much about soccer (except for watching 8-year olds) but I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
Yeah. Since you can only score points with 11 players per week I think that having a full 23-man roster is kind of ridiculous. I would suggest making a good team of 11-15 players and then filling the rest of your squad with bottom-feeders.
Alternatively, if one of your top players has a bad game, you can sub him out with someone playing later in that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
LRayZor wrote:
Can you be in more than one league? There's a "BGG league" with at least 5 people in already. (Password BGG)

Yes you can. Didn't know that one existed. Thanks! I'll go and join that league too, but my 5gg reward will only apply to my personal league.

J.L.Robert wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
Alternatively, if one of your top players has a bad game, you can sub him out with someone playing later in that round.

Or you can do a combination of both. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
What are your scores for round 1? They're slow to update their league scores, so I thought I'd ask here.

I got 116 points (my max possible score) and ended up playing 21/23 players. The Algerians scored really well for me. In fact, more than 1/3 of my team was made up of Algerian and Iranian players. Definitely not what I pictured starting out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
What are your scores for round 1?

Only wound up with 96, could have maxed with 109. I made a formation change, thinking it would drop the unassigned slot in my team. Instead, it dropped the rightmost spot for that position, costing me a 9-point player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
thermogimp wrote:

Only wound up with 96, could have maxed with 109. I made a formation change, thinking it would drop the unassigned slot in my team. Instead, it dropped the rightmost spot for that position, costing me a 9-point player.

That's rough. I think that the game is much more poorly-managed than four years ago. It seemed like a lot of people have been having questions about how subbing works from what I've read and some people went as far as to make a dummy team just to experiment with it. I was lucky enough to have my players in the right order that I was able to switch from a 3-4-3 to a 4-3-3 to a 5-3-2 with no problems.

Better luck in round 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
thermogimp wrote:

That's rough. I think that the game is much more poorly-managed than four years ago. It seemed like a lot of people have been having questions about how subbing works from what I've read and some people went as far as to make a dummy team just to experiment with it. I was lucky enough to have my players in the right order that I was able to switch from a 3-4-3 to a 4-3-3 to a 5-3-2 with no problems.

Better luck in round 2!

Yeah, I couldn't bench any of my 3 starting forwards: Neymar (14 pts.), Messi (11, captained to 22), and Muller (18).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've done better than I thought I would with 102 points from the first round of the group stage.

Best player was my captain Robben with 30 points. My team was strong in defence and crap in midfield.

3 goalie score (team 11 / bench 0+0)
7 defender score (team 14+13+9 / bench 10+10+8+6)
8 midfield score (team 7+6+4+2+0 / bench 1+0+0)
5 attacker score (team 30(c)+6 / bench 4+0+0)

Unfortunately I'm not likely to see much of an improvement in the midfield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! I overlooked some of the rules and wasn't quite able to optimize things as I wanted to, but overall I look forward to see my team perform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salamon
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
When did this overtext thing happen? Am I supposed to think of something clever to put here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 86 points for the First Round. I hope I didn't mess up anything. I clicked to remove Wilson Palacios from my lineup after his -1 and red card performance but didn't realize I should have switched to the Round Two section to make that change. Now it says "You need 11 players on your pitch" in red at the bottom of the Round One page.

I got a solid performance from captain Messi up front. Also midfielders Oscar, Javad Nekounam, and keeper Vincent Enyeama. Subpar performances elsewhere.

I am thinking of dropping Romelu Lukaku or Shinji Kagawa from my front line for Round Two. Though I really only have Antoine Griezmann to replace them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think to maximise your score, if you start off with the players in your squad who play first, you can kick them out if they score badly and replace them with substitutes who have yet to play.

I had Wilshire in midfield and he only got 1 point so I subbed him with Bentalab who was yet to play and he got me 7 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
97 for me. My front three of Neymar, Messi and Aguero did well but at the cost of a rubbish midfield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bruce
United Kingdom
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
120 points. My midfield was poor.

I wish I had understood the game before picking the squad but not a bad start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm content with my team through the Group Phase.

GK: Karnezis (GRE), Benaglio (SUI), Mbolhi (ALG)

DF: Manolas (GRE), Lichsteiner (SUI), Senderos (SUI), Mahini (IRN), Montazeri (IRN), Medjani (ALG), Vermaelen (BEL)

MF: Silva (ESP), Pirlo (ITA), Chavez (HON), Delgado (HON), Garrido (HON), Ozil (GER), Bedoya (USA), Hazard (BEL)

FW: Neymar (BRA), Messi (ARG), Heydari (IRN), Mueller (GER), Djabou (ALG)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 56. My strategy of splurging on a few high-valued players is not doing so well. Ronaldo only got 3 points.

I just took out a zero-scorer but I can't add anyone in yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Whoops! I left the league by accident and had to rejoin it. Hopefully that doesn't affect my overall score or I may have to hand out a lot of geekgold... surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to see Senderos finally get some action for my team. Just unfortunate the circumstances. Hope Steve von Bergen isn't too seriously injured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
DAMMIT!

I forgot to swap out my captaincy when I pulled David Silva off my squad. I failed to double Neymar's 16 point performance! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't figure out how to see all the players' stats to make substitution decisions. Even my active players--some of them show points earned and others just show time until the next match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.