Hide
6 Posts

Zombies!!!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Opinions on my house rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Stubbs
msg tools
I've come up with my own set of rules for when playing ZOMBIES!!!

Player death: When a player dies, all cards that were in play and in the players hand are set aside. The player then restarts with a new survivor and three new cards. That players previous survivor is now a zombie, and is holding on to the cards that the player previously had. This survivor zombie can be moved on a player’s zombie movement roll and will move as a regular zombie. Once this zombie is killed, the cards can be added to the player who killed it’s had within the legal rules of the game (i.e. only three cards in hand at a time). That zombie is then added to the player’s zombie pool

Ranged combat: If a player desires, they can spend one bullet token to combat a zombie on an adjacent square. To perform a ranged attack, make sure a zombie is on the square next to the survivor, a survivor cannot shoot a zombie that is further than one square away. Then the player must then roll a 4 or higher to successfully kill the zombie, a roll of 3 or lower is a miss. Bullet tokens can be used to modify a roll. A player can perform a ranged attack before, during, or after their movement roll.

Player health: A player’s heart token now have an effect on the player’s movement. A player with more heart tokens is healthier than a player with less and therefore can move further. During a player’s movement roll, the player will simply add the amount of heart token’s they have to their movement. For example, if a player rolls a 4 for movement, and has 3 heart tokens, then the player can move 7 squares (4 movement roll + 3 heart tokens = 7 movement). If a player has no heart tokens left, then they will move only based on their movement roll. A player cannot still move based on the number of heart tokens alone, a movement roll has to be made in order for the player to move.

Noise: When a player uses a makes noise, the sound will attract zombies. The last square a player made noise on is the square in which the zombies will diverge (Only one zombie per square rule applies). During that player’s zombie movement roll, the player will move their number of zombies on the tile in which the noise was made. How noise can be made:
• By spending a bullet token in combat
• By using the grenade card
• By using the dynamite card
• By using the chainsaw card
• By using the rocket launcher card
• By using the mine field card
• By using the keys are still in it card

Drawing weapon cards: All weapon cards are placed in a separate stack, when a playing is drawing new cards, they can draw at most 1 weapon card per turn

Crossbow: Crossbows can now be found at the sporting goods store as well

Hey look, a shotgun: The shotgun will now have 5 bullet tokens instead of 3, and can be used when the player chooses to use the card

The keys are still in it: This card does not apply for movement inside a building, if a building is entered by the player during the use of this card, movement is ended

Any suggestions? I was thinking of adding another element to the helipad, like having to get a flare gun to signal the helicopter or something. Any help would be great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like some of these. I have a suggestion, an observation, and a question:

1) Ranged combat. I would make this cost a movement point. I would not add bullets or any card effects to increase the die roll. I would simply let the player fire as many bullets and use as many movement points as desired. Also, would not let the player fire on diagonal squares.

2) Heart movement. A player with no hearts is dead. Just say'n.

3) Noise: Do you mean zombies converge or diverge on the tile where the noise emanated?

Oh, and a consideration:

4) Weapon stack: I would make it a little less of an obvious choice to draw a weapon. Perhaps the player "spends the whole turn looking for a weapon," so instead of rolling for movement, the player skips his movement and draws a weapon card instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like these

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stubbs
msg tools
Diagonal squares will not count for ranged combat, the zombie needs to be on the square directly next to the player. Although, I was going to make a card for an assault rifle which would allow the player to shoot a zombie two squares away. But again, diagonal does not count. And my point of ranged combat is to be able to kill the zombie without it being able to cause damage to the player, thus the spending of a bullet token.

The way I usually treat heart tokens is if you're out of both bullet and hearts, you are dead. I treat the hearts as a re-roll, so at the start you begin with three re-rolls. If you are in combat and can no longer re-roll or modify your roll and the zombie wins, you are dead. So that's why I meant zero heart tokens.

I did mean converge, this is a rough draft and I didn't go back through for spelling or grammar errors yet.

Your weapon stack idea is good and much more simple, all I was really trying to do was incorporate the weapons more. It seems like every time I play they barely get used. Although I think I have remedied this by creating additional locations for which weapons can be found. For example, the rocket launcher can be found at the Army surplus, the chainsaw and machete can be found at the hardware store, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JakeX88 wrote:
Diagonal squares will not count for ranged combat, the zombie needs to be on the square directly next to the player. Although, I was going to make a card for an assault rifle which would allow the player to shoot a zombie two squares away. But again, diagonal does not count. And my point of ranged combat is to be able to kill the zombie without it being able to cause damage to the player, thus the spending of a bullet token.

Sure, and it's a good idea. My thought is the payback for getting to kill a zombie without risk is having to use a bullet for EACH attempt, without increasing the odds with further bullets. I would probably want to try it your way to tweak it.

Quote:
The way I usually treat heart tokens is if you're out of both bullet and hearts, you are dead. I treat the hearts as a re-roll, so at the start you begin with three re-rolls. If you are in combat and can no longer re-roll or modify your roll and the zombie wins, you are dead. So that's why I meant zero heart tokens.

Got it, my bad.blush

Quote:
I did mean converge, this is a rough draft and I didn't go back through for spelling or grammar errors yet.

Got it.

Quote:
Your weapon stack idea is good and much more simple, all I was really trying to do was incorporate the weapons more. It seems like every time I play they barely get used. Although I think I have remedied this by creating additional locations for which weapons can be found. For example, the rocket launcher can be found at the Army surplus, the chainsaw and machete can be found at the hardware store, etc.

I've never liked the way weapons are found, and have never seen a perfect alternative. It's really not a function of finding the weapons. It's a function of finding the locations. Must have the right tile and card available at the right time.

In general, in games I like good things balanced by bad things. Ideally there is no "must have" item or certain tactic or strategy. Some folks don't like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stubbs
msg tools
Honestly the bullet thing could work either way, with mine you still have the consequence of spending bullets to modify your roll to kill the zombie, thus the consequence. But your idea works too, I'm just trying to keep the combat the same as regular combat so it doesn't get too confusing.

I'm thinking of just eliminating the locations for weapons altogether. But I was also thinking of adding a limited use element to them. Like after combat roll the dice, if it's a 1 or 2 the weapon breaks, or runs out of gas or something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.