Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Chow
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Hopefully we'll one day get an official version, but until then, here's mine:

I ended up procuring a D7 class miniature from the Tactics line, so I paired it up appropriately. Let me know what you think about its ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the transparent cloaked version but the card seems reasonable. We never saw the actual weapons mounted in "The Enterprise Incident" but they could be disruptors or plasma torpedoes but presumably you could use plasma torps from the other Romulan ships if you want to. Repainting the Groth miniature in a grey with a bird of prey on the bottom would be nice. That is what I did in Star Fleet Battles.

Using your mini when it's NOT cloaked might be a bit misleading but it's still cool. Good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keep in mind that the cloaked mini is the one they used for Attack Wing that has the sideways bridge on it, lol. Just when they finally fixed that with the borg blind booster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dario gonzalez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
from what i have heard the reason why the romulan's were using a d7 ship was because the original set broke and they did not have the money for a new one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Calvert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EmperorZeruel wrote:
from what i have heard the reason why the romulan's were using a d7 ship was because the original set broke and they did not have the money for a new one

A popular rumor but the really reason is far more practical. They paid for that D7 model and by god they were going to get there money's worth.

From the memory alpha

"Although long thought otherwise, from the very first draft, the script had the Romulans using Klingon ships. The series had a lot of money invested in the Klingon model and needed to get its money's worth. "

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Enterprise_Incident_%28e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FASA in the Starship Combat game tried to explain this in game by saying the Klingons and Romulans did a technology exchange game. The Romulans got very stripped down D7s with actual warp engines, something the Romulans were having problems with (the warbird was said to have "simple impulse" drive rather than warp). The Klingons got a stripped down version of the new warbird which became the B'Rel and was scaled up to the mid sized and the large (K'Vort) Warbird. Both sides benefited since the Romulans needed Warp and the D7 space frame and the Klingons got a lot of mileage out of that warbird design.

Pretty compelling explanation, even if it was made up to fit the inconsistencies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting all Klingon [Tech] as standard seems OP to me. The ability to bump and still Evade sounds okay. One or the other, otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
More to the story of why the Original Bird of Prey disappeared... more tragic than most people would guess...

The model was made by Wah Ming Chang, and the story has come out slowly over the years.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Romulan_Bird-of-Prey_%2823rd...

Quote:
The second theory states that the model was destroyed shortly after the episode was filmed, either by mishap on the studio lot or by Chang himself, as he himself reportedly revealed in a 1982 National Public Radio interview.

The latter resulted from a conflict with the propmaker's union. Chang as a non-member was not allowed to fabricate props for the show nor was he allowed to join. On Producer Robert Justman's urging, who considered Chang's work to be superior to anything else available, the studio devised a ruse to make it appear that the props were bought as pre-existing and off-the-shelf from Chang and it was reflected as such in the invoices Desilu were sent by Chang (in the process also explaining why Chang never received credit for his work). This part of the problems with the union was later confirmed by Justman in his reference book, Inside Star Trek: The Real Story, pages 119-120.

In the case of the Bird of Prey however, the union got hold of evidence that the model was specifically built for the show and agreed to drop the grievance against the studio if Chang did not receive payment for the model. Desilu gave in and returned the model unpaid to Chang, who in a fit of anger smashed the model to bits in his backyard with a sledgehammer.

Just a tragedy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.