Popular Tags: [View All]
simon miles
United Kingdom
liverpool
merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching a four player game of this at our weekly meeting yesterday, I have heard a lot of buzz and positive comments about splendour and was keen to give it a go.

After watching the game for a few minutes to see how it worked it dawned on me that there is no chance I can play this game being colourblind.
This is not an uncommon occurence in the hobby but it is improving.

The solution is so simple though and this is what I find frustrating.
In addition to the circles on the cost of the card which you would like to purchase could it have not been possible to add the picture of the required gem symbol along side each cost circle?

Even better, instead of a circle with the colour and cost, use the required gem symbol AND the colour with the cost in.

I hope there is a rethink of the layout if a second printing is ever published

Edited for spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the Gems are specific shapes, which should help. I am not colorblind but I don't think it would be out of the question.

I suppose I am not the best judge though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tsui
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
The tiles can be a problem - they just have the colors and the number, with no shape differences.

I guess you could have a reference sheet since the characters on them are different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, I hope this game is more colorblind friendly in the 2nd printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shanowitz
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
punkin312 wrote:
Well the Gems are specific shapes, which should help. I am not colorblind but I don't think it would be out of the question.

I suppose I am not the best judge though.

That's not the problem. The problem is that the cost of each card is indicated by several circles that are filled in by different colors, and nothing distinguishes those circles besides their color. The nobles have the same problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not colorblind, but I have found it difficult at times if the lighting isn't just right.

This image shows some cards (maybe prototypes) that could have been easier to use:

It could also have been easier if there were a convention such as "diamond always at the top of the card" and "onyx always at the bottom" and blank spaces left for gems you don't need. Then it would be sufficient to look and see the positions of the circles and the colors wouldn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon miles
United Kingdom
liverpool
merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
I am not colorblind, but I have found it difficult at times if the lighting isn't just right.

This image shows some cards (maybe prototypes) that could have been easier to use:

It could also have been easier if there were a convention such as "diamond always at the top of the card" and "onyx always at the bottom" and blank spaces left for gems you don't need. Then it would be sufficient to look and see the positions of the circles and the colors wouldn't matter.
The number 3 card is the perfect solution....why on earth did they not use that design??????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orcflesh wrote:
The number 3 card is the perfect solution....why on earth did they not use that design??????

Because it doesn't have the top of card band to allow stacking cards on the table.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying couldn't do better. But for non-colourblind players that's distinctly inferior. You need to combine the best features of it and what was actually produced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
It could also have been easier if there were a convention such as "diamond always at the top of the card" and "onyx always at the bottom" and blank spaces left for gems you don't need.

There is a fixed order, but not the spaces.

Edit: white, blue, green, red, black. If the most common problem is red/green, then one of those at the top, the other at the bottom would be best. I suspect then blue in the middle and black and white in the other two positions. That would still fail someone green/blue colourblind who saw a two colour card red and ?

Plus of course somehow using a shape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon miles
United Kingdom
liverpool
merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shapes are the way to go regarding the colour problems in this game.
The recent game by AEG Guildhall avoided problems with colour by using a symbol on the card attached to the group colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Dearlove wrote:
There is a fixed order, but not the spaces.

The order of the gems on the cards are always in the same fixed order; I wish the nobles also had this same order instead of being random! This bothers me while playing. I find it convenient to arrange the gems in the bank in this order, and my cards in front of me, too.

The gem order on the cards is always...
DIAMOND
SAPPHIRE
EMERALD
RUBY
ONYX

From reading here I see that some people use color names instead of gem names. Gem names evoke what little theme exists in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Holy shit, rebuilding your games collection is expensive!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
Add another who is hoping future editions will be color-blind friendly. I can't play this game with my boyfriend, because he can't distinguish between the colors used for the cost of the gems on the cards. And that's a real shame for me, because I love this game and want to play it with him.

Something involving shapes and a fixed color order (with gaps when a color is not used) would be tremendously helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Eine wunderbare Heiterkeit hat meine ganze Seele eingenommen, gleich den süßen Frühlingsmorgen, die ich mit ganzem Herzen genieße. Ich bin allein und freue mich meines Lebens in dieser Gegend, die für solche Seelen geschaffen ist wie die meine.
mbmbmbmbmb
Meanwhile they seem to have changed it (this is from my 2014 german edition):

Those symbols are on the nobels' cards, too:

(Edit: improved images)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Poulpe
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
All new editions include the new symbols.

It takes some time (french versions are still not up to the new standard, for instance) but the next production batch in the USA will show them too.

We've tried a lot of solutions here at Space Cowboys, and this one seems helpful enough while not lessening the overall aesthetic of the game.

We hope that all colorblind people will now be able to enjoy Splendor !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Poulpe wrote:

It takes some time (french versions are still not up to the new standard, for instance) but the next production batch in the USA will show them too.

We've tried a lot of solutions here at Space Cowboys, and this one seems helpful enough while not lessening the overall aesthetic of the game.

Any hope for a "trade in" program? I have the first edition and would love to be able to get a new deck of cards and Nobles without having to buy the whole game again.

I know, first world problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Concetta
United States
Basking Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Mr Poulpe wrote:

Any hope for a "trade in" program? I have the first edition and would love to be able to get a new deck of cards and Nobles without having to buy the whole game again.

I know, first world problem...

Also interested. Any plans for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Condotta
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Poulpe wrote:

As someone with strong protanomaly/protanopia (strongest type of red-green color blindness) I would like to say that I greatly appreciate the changes you have made in the second printing. I am so glad that my copy is from the second batch!

Earlier this week I was trying to play a first edition version in a pub, and I constantly had to get my phone out and turn on the flash to try and figure out the colours (and still needed to ask for confirmation as to what was what.)

One tiny bit of constructive criticism: It would have been nice if new symbols were a bit bigger.

Thanks again for the change!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to know which version has the colorblind friendly cards? Do the ASMSCSPL01 ones have them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Condotta
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
Is there a way to know which version has the colorblind friendly cards? Do the ASMSCSPL01 ones have them?

I'm not sure what ASMSCSPL01 is referring to, but the back of my Splendor box shows the cards and the noble tiles. If you look closely you can see the gem symbols beside the numbers. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goober_357 wrote:
ayejae wrote:

I'm not sure what ASMSCSPL01 is referring to, but the back of my Splendor box shows the cards and the noble tiles. If you look closely you can see the gem symbols beside the numbers. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I was ordering online. Ended up calling them to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Aranda

Walnut
California
msg tools
Yummy
badge
Yeung chow, Khao Pad, Goreng, Chaufa, Sinangág, Arroz frito....
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Poulpe wrote:

Is there any chance for a trade-in or upgrade program for the new components? I have a color-blind friend who enjoys the game but has a tough time playing and constantly asks what colors certain nobles/cards are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Villegas
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the old version. I am really happy you changed it. I played with my father in law who is colour blind and he could not play the old edition. It's too bad I did not wait a year before buying my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kernunrex of America
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
WOW BOB WOW
badge
Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mbmbmbmbmb
Throwing my hat in requesting a trade-in program. A color blind friend just joined our gaming group and we can never play Splendor because I have the first edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.