Hide
5 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Dice Masters is Dirt Cheap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
shawn ely
msg tools
Compared to any other CCG or even LCG, Dice masters is dirt cheap even with the inflated ebay costs.

1 MTG draft = $15 - $20 (not even enough cards to make a crappy tournament deck,.. 60 cards standard plus sideboard)
1 MTG Event Deck = $40

1 LCG (pick one from FF) Starter pack $30-40, and that isnt a playset of cards, usually 2 or 3 are needed.

A starter can be found online for $40.

A starter includes enough stuff for 2 players to play the game.

Common sets can be found online, for about $10 and thats 1 die for each character,.. all of them except the 8 that come in the starter.

Since none of the cards are shuffled into a deck, any card,.. even super rares can be proxy, images are all over the web. Might even be possible to proxy at a tournament, if not, there are sets (common, uncommon, and rare) plus the max dice for a character for about $10-$15.

Again, comparing the ability to be tournament ready in this game is way cheaper than being able to compete in a tournament in any other game that I have played or seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you're going to be fair, let's compare apples to apples... but I warn you, it doesn't change your point one bit. It's just that I've done the math a lot for my friends, trying to get them into the game, and most of them have bit down over it. I wouldn't call it DIRT cheap, but it is significantly less expensive than any other active TCG.

A Dice Masters starter is enough for two to play, but not play well. Much like the LCGs, you want either two starters or 16 uncommons to fill out the characters that come in the box just for one player to have a full tournament army. To be fair, though, that player might only want to fill out Beast, Storm, and Torch... So you're either dropping $80 on two starters, or $30 at retail (much more sensible), or $8-20 for the singles added to the price of a starter. YMMV.

1 MTG draft = $15, no additional product necessary (land is usually supplied).
1 Dice Masters draft = $10 + bring a starter and 12 of your own character dice = $15 minimum (at retail, assuming you only use starter characters).

Drafting Dice Masters takes an extra $5 at entry-level, but after the first draft, is cheaper in the long-run. At the inflated eBay price, though, it takes 4 drafts to break even against M:TG, 5 to save. Still cheaper if you plan to do a lot of drafting.

Now here's where the deal shines:

Just to get into Constructed tournament play, you only need a 20-die, 6-8 card list, at 50 cents per die (booster value, rarity not accounted for) = $10, plus starter dice. Magic needs about 35-40 non-land cards; $4 per booster of 15 cards = $12. Clearly, distribution and getting enough stuff to build a VIABLE deck is something different and more expensive; still, in MDM it can be done on incrementally cheaper packs than in Magic. Alternatively, you could do a lot of drafts, saving money over M:TG as mentioned before.

$120 Booster boxes vs. $60 and $90 Gravity Feeds. Most people only need or want one Gravity Feed, also; one booster box barely cuts the mustard anywhere else.

And those Rares... was it $250 for the last Jace Beleren? LOL that $50 Tsarina is looking good now. And let's not get into the Power Nine! Worse, that $50 Tsarina is not nearly as staple as she's made out to be; it's less important to run rares in MDM, so you spend far less doing so. And Beast and Storm - arguably the best cards in the game - are starter cards!

Proxies... well, those aren't supposed to be in OP, just like other TCGs, but different places will have different house rules on that. Even Vintage Magic tourneys often allow a certain number of proxies. So I'd call that point a wash. You're right, though, in that you need fewer proxies, and it's easier to handle, since they do not get shuffled or drawn.

Now I've run these numbers just for Magic. Consider Yu-Gi-Oh; packs are smaller, more expensive, commons nearly unfit for play, and chase cards easily run $10-$200, with nearly half your deck needing to be chase cards to remain competitive. Other TCGs have their own economy, and LCGs with their $80-$120 core-set commitment, but none of them can touch MDM for frugality. Having played several, this is the very reason I let myself get into MDM. I have playsets of every character I want on $75 spent (CSI singles + $30 on one eBay starter), can build 3 good tournament decks at once, and haven't come close to what I spent just starting into any other game - Magic, Netrunner, Yu-Gi-Oh, Game of Thrones, Warmachine... and, as newer sets come out, it'll be cheaper to keep up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:

There should be no reason to keep stockpiling more and more useless sidekick dice if you want to keep up with new franchies of the game, for example.

The sidekicks will be different for every franchise, or so the designers have tweeted. Different energy types to keep the themes from going all Munchkin Blender, if you get my drift. So they won't entirely be worthless, but I could see your point either way.

Quote:

Especially given that some of the most popular strategies right now revolve around two super rare cards.

...and even more popular strategies revolve around commons and starter cards. I have yet to get beaten by Tsarina or Gobby - I tend to beat them handedly, as they are both pretty easy to counter, and the most "broken" characters I use are Doctor Doom, Human Torch, Beast, Captain America, Hawkeye, Storm... commons and uncommons that get my opponents frothing at the mouth.

Even if I am completely wrong, and Gobby and Tsarina really are the best cards in the game (which they are not), try looking up the values of some of the more viable rares in other popular TCGs - and get full playsets of them - for less than $50. And I can promise you, the price of Gobby and Tsarina will still only go down once the reprints catch the supply up with the demand next month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
eviljelloman wrote:

There should be no reason to keep stockpiling more and more useless sidekick dice if you want to keep up with new franchies of the game, for example.

The sidekicks will be different for every franchise, or so the designers have tweeted. Different energy types to keep the themes from going all Munchkin Blender, if you get my drift. So they won't entirely be worthless, but I could see your point either way.

Very happy to hear this!

Quote:

Especially given that some of the most popular strategies right now revolve around two super rare cards.

...and even more popular strategies revolve around commons and starter cards. I have yet to get beaten by Tsarina or Gobby - I tend to beat them handedly, as they are both pretty easy to counter, and the most "broken" characters I use are Doctor Doom, Human Torch, Beast, Captain America, Hawkeye, Storm... commons and uncommons that get my opponents frothing at the mouth.

Even if I am completely wrong, and Gobby and Tsarina really are the best cards in the game (which they are not), try looking up the values of some of the more viable rares in other popular TCGs - and get full playsets of them - for less than $50. And I can promise you, the price of Gobby and Tsarina will still only go down once the reprints catch the supply up with the demand next month.[/q]
Yep!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with the price system right now, and have stayed away from other collectable games because of the points you made, but I think one factor you missed is that DiceMasters has only released one edition. Often collectable games develope "power creep," where the newer version releases strategies that dominate over strategies from earlier editions.

For a casual player like me this is frustrating. I'm old enough that I have more money to spend on collectable games, but much less time to collect and stay current on the hot new strategy. I mostly play with my 7 year old who likes it, but isn't obsessed with creating the perfect deck or collecting every card either.

I think it might be fun for us to try a tournament now with the Avengers vs. X-Men cards we have, and I think with the smaller size we could hold off opponents long enough to have fun. But a few expansions from now, if power creep makes the AvX cards worthless from a strategy stand point, I doubt I would want to pay the $50 to catch up, even if it's a comparatively cheaper amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.