Arctic Scavengers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Group Leaders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
'Any action may be enhanced by both a Group Leader and a tool' - what exactly does that text mean?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike James
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play a card, like a scavenger, to perform an action, you may use ONE tool with that scavenger. You may also use a group leader WITH that one tool.

Group leaders work just like tools. They can be used to enhance an action, not perform an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike James
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You, of course, can use the group leader without a tool. Just to clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can also use multiple group leaders, should you be lucky enough to have them in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
michaeljzerby wrote:
Group leaders work just like tools. They can be used to enhance an action, not perform an action.

So just to clarify. Can a Group Leader perform either a Dig/Hunt/Draw/Fight unaided?

Thank You,
Patty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
AntandBeeandtheABC wrote:
michaeljzerby wrote:

So just to clarify. Can a Group Leader perform either a Dig/Hunt/Draw/Fight unaided?

Thank You,
Patty.

Nope, the Group Leader card is a modifier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No - you have to have a card with a static value in the dig/hunt/draw/fight section.

Thematically: Group leaders are inspiring others to perform better at their jobs. With no-one around to inspire, they are basically middle-management (i.e. useless).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
michaeljzerby wrote:

Thank You,
Patty.

I understand the Group Leader is a modifier card (the +2s are in green), I just don't understand the text on the card. Is the text just saying it's a modifier card like a tool card?

Can anyone clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Mofman wrote:
zombiegod wrote:
michaeljzerby wrote:

Thank You,
Patty.

I understand the Group Leader is a modifier card (the +2s are in green), I just don't understand the text on the card. Is the text just saying it's a modifier card like a tool card?

Can anyone clarify?

Group Leader modifies an action when a Tribe Member uses either Dig, Draw, Hire or Skirmish. Just like when you use a tool.

Remember that one tribe member may only use one tool per action.

However, if you use Group Leader to modify your result it can be used in conjunction with, or alongside, the tool.

Examples:

Scavenger (Dig 1) Shovel (Dig +2) Group Leaders (Dig +2) to achieve a dig of 5.

Brawler (Fight 2) Spear (Fight +2) Group Leaders (Fight +2) to achieve a dig of 6.

Unlike tools, multiple copies of Group Leader can be applied to one Tribe Member.

Example:

Hunter (Hunt 2) Spear (Hunt +1) Group Leaders (Hunt +2) Group Leaders (Hunt +2) to achieve a whopping Hunt of 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mofman wrote:

Can anyone clarify?

No, it's not just saying it's a modifier like a tool.

It's saying that it's a special sort of modifier, different from a tool. Normally a character could only have one modifier played on it - one character plus one tool, but with a group leader a character could have a tool plus a group leader, multiple group leaders, or even a tool plus multiple group leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
EarlyFlash wrote:
No - you have to have a card with a static value in the dig/hunt/draw/fight section.

Thematically: Group leaders are inspiring others to perform better at their jobs. With no-one around to inspire, they are basically middle-management (i.e. useless).

You are spot on with the theme comment. I have always explained it as follows:

- Group Leaders (GL) are like upper management. They will GLADLY tell you how to do your job better, but they aren't about to get their hands dirty personally.
- A GL can direct someone to do a job solo.
- A GL can direct someone to do a job with a tool.
- You can even pile multiple group leaders onto a single action....that's called "micro-management", even post-apocalypse, somethings never change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Black III
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gabhart wrote:
- You can even pile multiple group leaders onto a single action....that's called "micro-management", even post-apocalypse, somethings never change.

This is probably the rule that makes the least sense to me, thematically. At no point in my personal life or professional career has the addition of more managers created improved production or efficiency.

Give me one good manager? Oh yeah, we'll get something done. Give me three? That's a recipe for gridlock, with everyone calling meetings to bullet point their own lists of things we need to address.

It seems like a bunch of folks trying to make the apocalypse ISO 9001 compliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.