Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in the game but is it really 2 hours or is it more like Conquest of the Empire 2 hours (for us that was more like 4 hours)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

My experience has been generally less than 2 hours during the playtesting sessions. I understand that the prototype is very close to the finished product, and this is what I am basing my opinion on. There is less setup time than typical Eagle Games, and turns move very quickly. A very fun game.

My experience with Conquest of the Empire is that it can be played in 2 hours if you only play three campagin seasons or with experienced players, you can do four. (and not counting set up time)

Also with Conquest, I have found that printing a "cheat" sheet of the cards and extra unit/turn order pages for players helps too.

hope this helps

Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johan,

I agree cote II is a better game than cote I and am suggesting 3 campaign seasons for your first intro game to get players adjusted. (I personaly play all 5!)

As for AOE III, I see similarities in key mechanics to other games, but am not "reminded" of anything when I play this one. It has a bidding/action phase simmilar to age of steam, in that once players start to take jobs, they quickly become scarce. The game produces a lot of "tension" for me, which I like. Turns are quick, and I rarily kept my eyes off the board when it was not my turn in fear of "losing" my next placement.If I had to pick similar games, I would say st. petersberg, puerto rico, or age of steam I guess...

I played AOE III with cubes, but recently saw the sculpts, and must say, they rock! I am chomping at the bit for this one...

Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played this ALOT lately, it plays in two hours or so with NEW players and shorter when playing with experienced players. (perhaps 1.5 hours depending on the rain delay factor of your friends... )

I also have to say that I still love playing this game, even after so many plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budley wrote:
Having played this ALOT lately, it plays in two hours or so with NEW players and shorter when playing with experienced players. (perhaps 1.5 hours depending on the rain delay factor of your friends... )

I also have to say that I still love playing this game, even after so many plays.

That's good to know what the new player time is since it seems that playtesters always play much faster than new players having played it a lot. With my High School Game group that I run I'm sure that it would have new players much of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

I really think you and your friends will pick up the game play of this one quite quickly. I have had the privilage of sitting in on half a dozen playtests or so and every game had new players. very rairly does a game make me want to play immediatly again when I am done, and this one does...Glen has delivered a fine product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...I am also looking forward to this one! Right now, my fav Eagle Games is CotE II.... who knows...maybe it will surpassed by AOE III (which is a good thing!)

Can't wait to set this one up for my gaming group, Thanks again- Eagle Games for all your COOL games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.