triple qmark
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi guys!

Just wanted to put an idea out there and see that you guys think.
All You Need is Kill (more commonly known as Edge of Tomorrow in the West) is a Japanese light novel in which the main character gets stuck in a time loop that causes him to restart the day each time he dies. I took that respawn mechanic and added it to chess, as well as a level up mechanic.

~~~

What you need
A whole bunch of chess pieces, OR
Some counters (one for each type of chess piece), OR
Six-sided dice (1 - Pawn, 2 - Rook, 3 - Bishop, 4 - Knight, 5 - Queen, 6 - King)
A 6x6 grid

Setup

Each player starts with a king, two rooks and three pawns, as shown in the above picture.

Objective
Be the first to kill three of the opponent's kings and then checkmate the final king.

How to Play
Players take turns (white goes first), moving their pieces. Movement of each piece is shown below, they are pretty much the same as chess, except that pawns can only move horizontally or vertically.

When a piece defeats another piece, two things happen.
Firstly, the defeated piece respawns as a pawn in one of the grey boxes on your own side, unless they are all occupied, where the piece respawns in the nearest white box.
Secondly, the victorious piece upgrades to the next rank: Pawn -> Rook -> Knight -> Bishop -> Queen -> Pawn ->...
A Queen that kills a piece is reset to a pawn, as the information overload causes it to revert to its basic form.
Kings do not change if they kill a piece.

If a King is killed, the King is removed from the board and kept by the attacking player.
The highest ranked piece remaining on the field, at the time then becomes the new King and respawns in the corner square it starts in.
If multiple pieces are of equally highest rank, then the player may choose which piece becomes the new King.
The new King is invulnerable for 1 turn.

Play continues as such, until one player has three Kings. Once three kings from one side have been defeated, the cycle is broken. Then, that player must checkmate the final king. Pieces no longer respawn for the player who has lost three kings.

~~~

I'd just like to know what you think of the idea?
It could probably played with a normal sized chess board, but for now, I decided to just start with a smaller board, as proof of concept.
I'd love to hear of any new mechanics or tweaks to the existing mechanics that you may think of!

Kind Regards,
Eeshwar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting mechanic with the upgrading. I was thinking that every game ever works like Edge of Tomorrow's story, as each time you play the same game you go in with the experience from previous plays. But the way you've substantiated it in the mechanic is pretty interesting

It feels like a chess variant though, and generally I don't like chess... But of course someone might love it

Kudos on the idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you I just found and read the entirety of the comic for All You Need is Kill. I was already planning on watching the movie but now I need to.

I like your idea and the game seems like it would work great on it's own, but it feels more like you are generating new troops opposed to them looping in time, due to the fact that they reset in skill each time.

I'm trying to think about alternate approaches to the theme, like what if the battle itself went in quicker rounds and each round the troops are reset except for one or two special ones that retain their experience from previous rounds. So depending on how you play, your looping units could become stronger faster or slower.
Or getting more meta, you could make it more like a super quick stratego, where each round you find out a little information about the enemy (where they are hiding their loop servers/backups), and because you reset exactly the same each round you benefit from the information gained in the previous loop.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/148319/tragedy-looper here's a game I really want to try that seems to cover a really similar theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
triple qmark
Australia
flag msg tools
Hey Matt

Glad I got you onto the manga!
I haven't read the manga or watched the movie myself, although I have read the light novel.
I'll probably go see the movie later this month.

Thanks for the great ideas!
I'll have a look into them in a short while and get back to you.
For the next two weeks I kinda need to focus on my exams. (This was a procrastination project.)
I like your idea of hidden roles, with the loop servers/backups.

Kind Regards,
???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.