Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are tons of pirate themed games out there, and several geeklists to boot. I'm a pirate lover, but damn, it's tough to pick out one or two out of the countless ones that seem to be present. I made the mistake of picking up Dread Pirate on an impulse without reading about it first and was sorely disappointed. Now I'm glancing at Pirate's Cove as it seems rather interesting.

What are your thoughts? Is this one of the few games in this genre worth picking up? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pirate Cove: It is very colorful, easy to play, very fun.

I played it with my daughter and wife and it was great. So, there is no need to think about too much of strategy. Just to have fun.

Afterall, my daughter is only 6 yrs old.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Count me in among those who like the game! It's not very strategic or anything, but it's really a blast to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is garbage. When you think or pirates images of swashbuckling and sword-fighting come to mind. Unfortunately the winner of this game is the person that never battles. How awesome, a pirate game were you are rewarded for peace. Instead of playing you can just roll a 6 sided dice to determine who the best pirate is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game fits *perfectly* in a slot where few games exist. . . a game great for drinking and getting rowdy and having fun. It's our favorite when drink scumbles in, we want to play something that's not lighter-than-air and not worth the effort, and we all want to get kind of schlonkered. . . totally fits the theme, too!

As to the person who says it reward peace and isn't like what one thinks of pirates. Uhhh... hello? Do you think Pirates love FIGHTING? They love BOOTY, man! The goal is more CRAP! Not to fight! The name of the game you want is "Depressed Royal Navymen Forced To Fight!"

Anyway, the draw of booty compels fights to break out in our games. We play with the Crimson Steel variant and that other one, and allow stealing of booty between ships.

We also break out "Big Black Dick's Carribean Run" and get schlonkered and have a tooting blast (not THAT toot!).

I will say this, though, if you want to sit and think about what's going to give you the win . . . e.g. analyse anything . . . then you would do better to get another game!

This is the pirate game for when everyone actually wants to be piratey!

Piratey, like our popular image of a pirate... if you actually want to be like an actual 17th century pirate, then you'd do better go mug somebody.

If you've got 3 or more bawdy friends who want to get faded and break it out, try Pirate's Cove....!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is excellent. The bits are beautiful, the rules are clever, a good amount of player interaction, different strategies and greatly fits the theme. This is the pirate themed game I would recommend.arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
Meuterer is a great game if you can slug through the rules.

I have yet to meet someone who actually likes Pirate's Cove.

You need to get out more often then.
Everyone I know among my gaming friends enjoys this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mathis
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pirates Cove is great fun. Is it a deep strategy game? No, but still lots of fun. You may want to check out, Plunder. I just got this last week and have played it several times and really enjoyed it. A lot of folks complain about the rule book here but I didn't have much trouble with it and the few questions I had were answered here on the Geek. Hope you pick one you like.
Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this genre, to date, imho, Rum & Pirates is a much better 'game' with a pirate theme. If you don't care too much about strategic or tactical play but like 'chrome' in your games Pirate's Cove is for you. To me, however, some of the rules in the game seem 'tacked on' and I firmly believe that this game was not thoroughly play tested. Also, if you don't mind potentially being 'out of the game' early on due to unfortunate battle losses then Pirate's Cove is for you. In Rum & Pirates, you never feel like you are out of it, there are battles for victory points and the game board is always different. I've tried very hard to like Pirate's Cove but there's just something about the 'game' aspects of it which rub me the wrong way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Dread Pirate" wasn't much of a game, was it? I promise you'll be equally as disappointed in "Pirate's Cove". I too, recomend "Plunder", and I also like "Pillage and Plunder", which you can only buy from the game's website. At first glance it seems kind of "pricey" for a card game, but when you consider that there actually is a game there (as compared to "Dread" and "Cove"), then you really come out ahead.

I haven't played it yet, but "Loot" can be had at Walmart for $5.00, and the game has it's devotees.

edit..FFG has an interesting looking game called "Mutiny" (a game of rum and riches), in their silverline series (reasonable pricing). Dunno much more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
galeninjapan wrote:
The game is garbage.

No it isn't. It's a light, family game that delivers in that respect. Then again, you could say War of the Ring is won by the dice since it IS a war game with dice, and you rate that a 10. You need to remember the audience this game is intended for. Because that audience isn't you doesn't mean it's "garbage." Lighten up Francis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Oshio wrote:
(snip)There are tons of pirate themed games out there, and several geeklists to boot. I'm a pirate lover, but damn, it's tough to pick out one or two out of the countless ones that seem to be present.(snip)

Well if the equation you are looking for is...

arrrh Pirate Theme + Strategy

I guess I have to toot my own fog horn . Ship of Fools Games will soon (late August, early September) be releasing Treasure Fleet.

We are getting very positive responses from play testers. Although Treasure Fleet is a card game, the play action is what brings out the inner pirate in the players. One play tester said the game is deceptively simple yet has numerous deep strategies. Another play tester said, the game has a mathematical elegance about it.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/24186

PS: If you are in the Phoenix area our next open testing is at Phoenix ConGames. Look for the shipwrecked pirate.

http://www.conevents.com/page/p06/main.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I whole heartedly recommend Pirates Cove. As others have said, the game is not complex so if you're looking for some sort of pirate "simulation" game. This one is not for you. However, if you are simply looking for an easy to play, fun game this is it! Others have complained that goal of this game is to avoid fights, this is not true. You gain fame points (the ultimate goal of the game) by taking out other players ships, the key is to correctly guess which islands the other players are sailing to and sail your ship to the same ones so you can square off with them. You can also attack the "legendary" pirates (if you think you're up to it) for big fame points. Granted, if you get the stuffing knocked out of you a couple times, and your ship becomes very weak, you may be forced to try to gain fame points simply by looting islands, but there is no guarentee that the island you are sailing to won't have another players ship waiting for you when you get there, so you're often forced to battle even when you don't want to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you DO want a Pirate simulation, Blackbeard is the best choice I know of, and plays well solitare. Not a family game at all, though. One of the things it simulates is long stretches where pirates do nothing....

Pirate's Cove is not a pirate simulation, but it's fun if you aren't bugged by doublethink or the luck of the dice. It's not true that if you fight you will lose, but losing a fight certainly hurts. Besides, fighting is fun. While you can win without fighting, who'd want to? As usual with Days of Wonder, the bits are very nice.

Cartegana's not very piratey at all, but it's a fun, quick-playing game.

Caribbean is another light Pirate-themed game. I haven't been able to get it to the table, though.

Winds of Plunder will be published this fall. My impression of it is a medium weight Euro with a well-integrated Pirate theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Casey
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a resource collection game with a pirate theme, get pirate's Cove.

If you are looking for a pirate simulation, get Blackbeard if you can.

If you are looking for an excuse to tear your hair out and become frustrated, get Plunder.

If you want something with a solid pirate theme, minor but still evident simulation elements, and an excuse to tear your hair out that is actually part of the game, get Armada 3. Seriously, best of the 4 or 5 pirate games we've tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, my wife and I play Pirate's Cove with another couple on a regular basis, and it's one of our favorite games. Yes it's light, but it draws you in with the great bits, the neat card effects, and the overall piratey theme. While the battles are ultimately decided by the dice, I think this is reflective of the true nature of naval battle of the time. Yes, you can outfit your ship better than the next guy, and you can have those great battle and volley cards at your disposal, but that doesn't (and shouldn't) guarantee victory. And, of course, you can always flee, if you're willing to risk mutiny. As a previous post said, this is completely consistent with the nature of pirates. You're not trying to win a war, you're trying to get booty. If you appear outgunned, or luck isn't on your side, the wily pirate flees to lick his wounds and fight another day.

Also, I think this game gets better the more you play it with the same people (that you know well), because you feel more comfortable being more cutthroat and seeking revenge. There's nothing better than blasting your wife's parrot, or dropping a Powder Key on your best friend's boat. Good times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirate's Cove - as per previous posts, if you want an accurate simulation, forget it, but it is good fun.

Blackbeard - rulebook is a nightmare, lots of detail, but probably best simulation (or as close as bits of cardboard are going to get to the taste of salt on your lips and the feel of a cutlass in your hans, i.e. not very! It's a game after all))

Buccaneer - old family game variously published from the thirties to the eighties. Cool pieces (treasure/ships), scope for bluff and tactical play/bluff, good combat system, simple rules, short play time. I'd like to see this one republished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS actually, I think Buccaneer has just been republished as "Pirates of The Caribbean (wonder where they got that one from?) Buccaneer" if you want a light but fun game. Played with the right spirit, it can be fun and very competitive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.twitch.tv/gamerhudson
badge
https://www.instagram.com/gamer.hudson/
mbmbmbmbmb
so gathering from this thread, Pirates Cove is the most popular game ha ha

it gets the most mentions, and then everyone else picks a different game as a side choice. that didnt narrow it down too much. My two cents:
every game that was sold at my local hobby store pirate wise that I saw walk out the door was Pirates Cove. I have not played it however

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Freeman
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be getting Pirates Cove I think... seeing as I want to play the game with friends who just want to have fun as opposed to the whole roleplay element or card games... we love board games, the whole tactile thing of spreading the board out, rolling the dice, moving your pieces and Pirate's Cove appears to fill that niche for me! I might also pick up Dread Pirate for the same reason... and will be studiously avoiding all the other ones mentioned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Um...stay away from Dread Pirate. There's a reason for its' 5.3 rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Hope
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
Well, I bought dread pirate and enjoy playing it with my 5 year old sister, and it's given me a lot of pleasant memories in that way, but the game itself is shallow- we end up using ever more confusing house rules to give it more depth, which the framework of the game just can't cope with. But it's beautiful & a bit of fun so I don't regret buying it. But to fulfill my deeper piratey needs, I seem to have 2 choices- pirates cove or, slightly cheaper, winds of plunder? Considering I already have a (very) light game, what do you guys suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.