Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Kickstarter, - enlighten me! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hanne Beate
Norway
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have participated in several contests about games on Kickstarter, but have never thought of buying one of them. The shipping costs to my country usually are to high no matter what.

The game Ghosts Love Candy seems like a really fun one and it also has free shipping worldwide.

How do I do to buy it? It's not out yet, but probably will in February 2015.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Cesar Nass
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
Allons-y
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

It is still on its funding period on kickstarter so all you need to do is:
-(1)register on kickstarter (wich can be done by linking your facebook account)
-(2)(presuming you have an international credit card registered on amazon) select one of the rewards tiers on the right of the kickstarter page and proceed with informations as needed.
-(3) this game in particular is almost funded, so, once it's funded, it will probably start adding stretch goals wich can be free or paid. The frees ones will be sent to you. For the paid ones you must adapt you pledge amount acordigly (by manually increasing the amout you will be charged by clicking on your reward tier).
-(4) When it's finished you will be charged on your credit card and a few weeks latter the company will send a pledge manager link in wich you select the extras that you've paid for (and, sometimes you can even selecet and pay for more).
-(5) Wait for the game to be produced and be delivered, wich in this case it is expected by feb 2015 (usually a few months later, but that's not a rule).
8 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanne Beate
Norway
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for your quick and helpful answer!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
- Like every other Kickstarter, it will be delivered 6+ months later than the promised date.

- You may not get all of the KS extras you are promised.

- It may be available in online stores for less money before you even receive your copy.

- If any "KS ONLY" items are included, chances are they will be available to purchase in many other ways...there is no such thing as KS ONLY.

- Repeat this several times until you realize that Kickstarter sucks.
13 
 Thumb up
0.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nassbr wrote:
Hello

It is still on its funding period on kickstarter so all you need to do is:
-(1)register on kickstarter (wich can be done by linking your facebook account)
-(2)(presuming you have an international credit card registered on amazon) select one of the rewards tiers on the right of the kickstarter page and proceed with informations as needed.
-(3) this game in particular is almost funded, so, once it's funded, it will probably start adding stretch goals wich can be free or paid. The frees ones will be sent to you. For the paid ones you must adapt you pledge amount acordigly (by manually increasing the amout you will be charged by clicking on your reward tier).
-(4) When it's finished you will be charged on your credit card and a few weeks latter the company will send a pledge manager link in wich you select the extras that you've paid for (and, sometimes you can even selecet and pay for more).
-(5) Wait for the game to be produced and be delivered, wich in this case it is expected by feb 2015 (usually a few months later, but that's not a rule).

Very good rundown. I'll only add that Hanne should also remember to increase her pledge to include shipping to her country. The exact amount will be stated somewhere on the campaign's page.

edit: I don't read good and Jim called me out on it a few posts down.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Cesar Nass
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
Allons-y
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one of the main problem of kickstarter: usually it will end up cheaper on online stores, since they sell it discounted.

I have the same problem with shipping as the OP. So, usually, it is better to buy a few diferent games together to compensate for shipping and therefore, i end up skipping KSs.

Recently i am only entering KSs that are really needed to manufacture the game, like Xia: Legends of a Drift System or March of the Ants or have a great deal of free extras to compensate for its price, like Myth was. For all the rest i wait for the retail version.

For all the other cases, KS is used as an overpriced pre-order system.

But, keep in mind that, if you like the game, it is on your price range and you dont mind waiting, just go for it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:
...increase her pledge to include shipping to her country.

As stated in the OP's post, the price includes free shipping worldwide.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanne Beate
Norway
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your answers!

I haven't pledged it yet, but the free shipping is very tempting. It's only when or if it will be sold in my country that I don't have to pay for shipping. The cost of the game is only $25, so I think it's quite cheap.

I think I'll wait a week or two before I decide what to do anyway.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
- Like every other Kickstarter, it will be delivered 6+ months later than the promised date.

So?

hatemachine wrote:
- You may not get all of the KS extras you are promised.

In over 20 game kickstarters I've backed, this has yet to happen to me.

hatemachine wrote:
- It may be available in online stores for less money before you even receive your copy.

1) "less money" - again, never seen that happen
2) "before you receive your copy" - so?

hatemachine wrote:
- If any "KS ONLY" items are included, chances are they will be available to purchase in many other ways...there is no such thing as KS ONLY.

So?

Don't listen to the hater, Hanne!
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Teixeira
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nassbr wrote:

Recently i am only entering KSs that are really needed to manufacture the game, like Xia: Legends of a Drift System or March of the Ants


With these two being over 350% funded, I hardly think they really needed your money to be manufactured.

That being said, there are plenty of good reasons to become a backer, and there are plenty of good reasons to avoid becoming a backer. It often depends on your personality. Kickstarter always involves risk to you as a consumer, and it's up to you to decide whether to take the risk or not (and how risky it is). Sometimes the risk pays off, and sometimes it doesn't.

However, considering most boardgame purchases involve some level of risk (because you can buy a game you don't end up playing and/or enjoying), this alone shouldn't be a good reason not to back. If you cannot handle any kind of risk, potential delays, poor communication and/or having a game published in a way that suits others, then KS is not for you. However, if you like to be involved in the process, watching how your money is turned into a game, contributing to the direction a game takes, being part of a positive community, helping the industry grow, and/or contributing so that a game can be all it can be, then KS is for you.

Just remember that in most cases KS is not a pre-order. What you think you see and what you get may differ - sometimes for the better, and sometimes not. Don't overhype your expectations.
8 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
hatemachine wrote:
- Like every other Kickstarter, it will be delivered 6+ months later than the promised date.

- You may not get all of the KS extras you are promised.

- It may be available in online stores for less money before you even receive your copy.

- If any "KS ONLY" items are included, chances are they will be available to purchase in many other ways...there is no such thing as KS ONLY.

- Repeat this several times until you realize that Kickstarter sucks.


- Except I've had games hit the mark or be early.

- The base game will be, but remember the things you get extra are included in your pledge, and are often sold separately outside of the campaign which makes up that difference easily.

- Some are indeed KS only as they never reprint them, such as a couple cards for Mars Needs Mechanics and The Red Dragon Inn 4. If you see them in a store ask if the store backed the campaign

- Don't repeat these steps as they aren't always true. Each publisher is different and expect different and mixed results for each campaign. Some publishers are bigger offenders than others!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheNameForgotten wrote:
nassbr wrote:

Recently i am only entering KSs that are really needed to manufacture the game, like Xia: Legends of a Drift System or March of the Ants


With these two being over 350% funded, I hardly think they really needed your money to be manufactured.

That being said, there are plenty of good reasons to become a backer, and there are plenty of good reasons to avoid becoming a backer. It often depends on your personality. Kickstarter always involves risk to you as a consumer, and it's up to you to decide whether to take the risk or not (and how risky it is). Sometimes the risk pays off, and sometimes it doesn't.

However, considering most boardgame purchases involve some level of risk (because you can buy a game you don't end up playing and/or enjoying), this alone shouldn't be a good reason not to back. If you cannot handle any kind of risk, potential delays, poor communication and/or having a game published in a way that suits others, then KS is not for you. However, if you like to be involved in the process, watching how your money is turned into a game, contributing to the direction a game takes, being part of a positive community, helping the industry grow, and/or contributing so that a game can be all it can be, then KS is for you.

Just remember that in most cases KS is not a pre-order. What you think you see and what you get may differ - sometimes for the better, and sometimes not. Don't overhype your expectations.


Being overfunded doesn't mean it didn't need to be kickstarted. You still need capital to do the initial print run. Heck I'd argue it's not guaranteed to be as successful in some cases without kickstarter.

The rest is bang on. Don't go to kickstarter if you must get it by a certain time, or worry about the game being available online for less. Most times the KS version will wither be less expensive or include more than the retail version.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:

- Some are indeed KS only as they never reprint them, such as a couple cards for Mars Needs Mechanics and The Red Dragon Inn 4. If you see them in a store ask if the store backed the campaign


I got RDI4 from Amazon. They've even got the two mini-expansions there too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Archonsod wrote:
ImaginaryRoot wrote:

- Some are indeed KS only as they never reprint them, such as a couple cards for Mars Needs Mechanics and The Red Dragon Inn 4. If you see them in a store ask if the store backed the campaign


I got RDI4 from Amazon. They've even got the two mini-expansions there too.


Yes, the two allies. Did they have the four drink cards that were labeled as "Kickstarter Exclusive"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Don't listen to the hater, Hanne!


I agree. I think everyone should back every game that appears on Kickstarter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
hatemachine wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Don't listen to the hater, Hanne!


I agree. I think everyone should back every game that appears on Kickstarter.


Yes, clearly everyone who disagrees that Kickstarter is universally terrible thinks everyone should back every game regardless of quality.

...are you on crack?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter has one purpose, and one purpose only: Queen Games "Big Boxes"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
in this a veiled advertisement to garner attention ? it is against forum rules if that is the case shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eelco van den Top
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
Hei Hanne,

If I am properly cafeinated and spotted the norwegian flag correctly:

Don't forget the customs fee you will invariably be paying. The only time I didn't get slapped with the 25%(?) importing fee in Norway was when my order got horribly damaged (probably in customs). So even if the shipping isn't so bad, take that into account.

Best of luck out there!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
- Like every other Kickstarter, it will be delivered 6+ months later than the promised date.

- You may not get all of the KS extras you are promised.

- It may be available in online stores for less money before you even receive your copy.

- If any "KS ONLY" items are included, chances are they will be available to purchase in many other ways...there is no such thing as KS ONLY.

- Repeat this several times until you realize that Kickstarter sucks.


Nate Walker I have to respectfully disagree. I'm about a half- dozen backs into KS, and I'm currently only concerned about one (Arena Rex). I would never have owned a copy of the fantastic Mythos RPG "tremulus" without KS, and they still continually add PDF updates.

It can be a worthwhile risk if done in moderation . Just my 2c.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
critically_hit wrote:

Don't forget the customs fee you will invariably be paying. The only time I didn't get slapped with the 25%(?) importing fee in Norway was when my order got horribly damaged (probably in customs). So even if the shipping isn't so bad, take that into account.

In the Netherlands there is no custom fee if the total amount is below 23(?) euro. This might be the case in Norways as well. If the game is 25 dollar, you should be fine.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanne Beate
Norway
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
critically_hit wrote:

Don't forget the customs fee you will invariably be paying. The only time I didn't get slapped with the 25%(?) importing fee in Norway was when my order got horribly damaged (probably in customs). So even if the shipping isn't so bad, take that into account.

In the Netherlands there is no custom fee if the total amount is below 23(?) euro. This might be the case in Norways as well. If the game is 25 dollar, you should be fine.



In Norway we don't have to pay customs fee if it's under NOK 200 (about $30), so since this game costs $25 I don't have to pay any extra. If you can read Norwegian, it's more info here:
http://toll.no/templates_TAD/MainTopic.aspx?id=244979&epslan...

It has been that amount since 1975, so it's about time they increase it. The new government has talked about it so hopefully it will happen soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanne Beate
Norway
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
New question: What happens if a game on Kickstarter don't get enough pledges to be funded? Do the backers get their money back or is it part of the risk?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Betancourt
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
Hanne67 wrote:
New question: What happens if a game on Kickstarter don't get enough pledges to be funded? Do the backers get their money back or is it part of the risk?


No. You only pay if the project gets funded
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanne Beate
Norway
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Theosprey247 wrote:
Hanne67 wrote:
New question: What happens if a game on Kickstarter don't get enough pledges to be funded? Do the backers get their money back or is it part of the risk?


No. You only pay if the project gets funded


OK, thanks! That's good to know!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.