Pierre Miranda
France
Contamine sur Arve
Haute-Savoie, Rhône-Alpes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(cross-posted from consimworld)

Quote:
6.4 If an elephant or fresh light infantry unit was already a lead unit immediately before the current player turn (and so was already exposed to enemy attack), it takes up only one point.

Not sure how to interpret this. Assume the Athenians move adjacent to the Thebans in their player turn. In the Theban turn, a force with an LI screen wants to attack the just arrived Athenians. In my opinion, the LI takes up 2 points because it doesn't qualify per 6.4. It would only count as 1 point in the NEXT Theban player turn (provided it's still around). Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it counts as one, not two. The LI "was already a lead unit before the current player turn." I guess your point is the unit wasn't "exposed to enemy attack" since the enemy only just moved into place? But that phrase is only a parenthetical to the actual rules statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gav DBM
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note this is from memory as my rules are 3000 miles away

Assuming the Theban LI was the lead unit during the Athenian turn and remains lead unit in the Theban turn when they attack, then it only counts as one.

It helps to remember that this rule is there to encourage historical play by providing an abstract representation of the utility and role of an LI skirmish screen - and that it will become spent soon (as lead unit) and then be withdrawn from its role as a skirmish screen which protects the heavy infantry (as our sources recount).

In that way it is similar to the modifier which encourages using fresh cavalry as the lead unit when in a zone with heavy infantry.

Regards,

Gavin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
The first para in 6.3 explains that you must designate a lead unit in each friendly occupied tile at the end of each of your player turns, if one does not already exist. As long as the LI were so designated, they count as only one point towards the attack limit when they attack the Athenians who moved up next to them. Note that the historical scenarios already start with lead units identified, as explained in the middle of the map key.

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Miranda
France
Contamine sur Arve
Haute-Savoie, Rhône-Alpes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.