6 Posts

Space Alert» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ideas for solo space alert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Thomas
England
flag msg tools
Hi everybody, looking for ideas for solo play in Space Alert game.
Saw ADIXOR`S brilliant non-realtime space alert and would it be possible to use some of your ideas for solo play, liked event deck very much.
Play with 4 androids, 5 cards and make event deck.
1. EVENT PHASE
Turn over event card resolve.
2. ACTION PHASE
Place action cards on track then do each action in order of android.
3. ATTACK PHASE
4. MOVE PHASE
5. DRAW PHASE
Add one card to each android for next turn.
Event phase can be hard/easy depending on threat and number.
Any one with any ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any reason not to use the official solo rules? Ricky Royal has a good video showing how it plays solo. He makes the game look much easier than I found it to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the official solo rules, and I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Myers
United States
Hays
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play the solo rules and enjoy it. I will also play as solo four players but my variant is I will allow a time limit, usually 10 minutes (no cd) to allow me to plan out all my actions for each player. This may seem like it would be easy to plan out a perfect execution, but something always gets messed up. Trying to clearly play 4 players steps in perfect order under 10 minutes is not easy. One of the characters always trips or fires without energy ect... I really enjoy it this way. It will fill like a puzzle but seeing what happens with the attacks and my mis steps is always fun to watch what happens when it plays out. Then of course score it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
I play the official solo rules, and I love it!

Ditto. I play Space Alert primarily as a solo game, and it's pure excitement, a great exercise in efficiency and focus--trying not to get distracted by the computer announcements or the future threats. One of my favorite solo games, without any changes whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
norcuron wrote:
I will also play as solo four players but my variant is I will allow a time limit, usually 10 minutes (no cd) to allow me to plan out all my actions for each player.

This is really intriguing. Do you look up the threats for the mission, reveal them, and then begin playing as the first character? Do you play your cards facedown using this variant? That would make for a real challenge, I'd think.

One of the pros for this game for me is the short playtime and the atmosphere created by the soundtrack, but I'd be interested to try your variant sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.