Subject: Survival doesn't seem manly enough for Mandom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a lovely little game, but it seems to me that the fact that the hoped for outcome on a trip into the dungeon is mere survival is not quite in keeping with the dare-devil danger-loving push-luck-to-the-limit feel. I propose a slight modification of the equipment: how about the shield and armour become a collection of 3 shurikens (1 point of damage each) and a bow with a sheaf of 5 arrows (1 hp damage each)? This would allow the same distribution of points of damage as the absorption of damage using HP as currently, but give the more satisfying feeling of defeating the enemy rather than simply surviving the onslaught.

There remains the 3hp on the adventurer: this could stay as survival (to the last breath) or else there could be 2 fists - 1 hp damage each - in a last ditch battle for survival. Note that the 3hp becomes 2 damage because the rules require the adventurer to survive with a hit point, so if, after spending all these weapons, the adventurer has not killed off all comers, then it is game-over for the reckless fool.

On the same note, I quite like the idea of reinventing the torch as a dagger and the holy grail as a mace, just because if I am heading single-handedly into a deadly dungeon full of monsters, to prove how manly I am, I want to feel I have real weapons, not torches and cups. Of course, YMMV, but then maybe you aren't hard enough to face a real challenge...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Hayward
Japan
Koto-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek Long wrote:
This is a lovely little game, but it seems to me that the fact that the hoped for outcome on a trip into the dungeon is mere survival is not quite in keeping with the dare-devil danger-loving push-luck-to-the-limit feel. I propose a slight modification of the equipment: how about the shield and armour become a collection of 3 shurikens (1 point of damage each) and a bow with a sheaf of 5 arrows (1 hp damage each)? This would allow the same distribution of points of damage as the absorption of damage using HP as currently, but give the more satisfying feeling of defeating the enemy rather than simply surviving the onslaught.

That sounds like a fun idea. It will make the tension more pliable as I always get nervous once all the armor is gone. Plus more weapons means more Manliness, right? lolz. Would love to see a custom made PnP. (^_^)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a theme, I like the idea that it's 4 adventurers sitting in a tavern, each trying to one up the other.

A: "I can go into that dungeon without the Holy Grail."
B: "Oh yeah, I can do it without the shield."
C: "Well I think I can do it without the armour."
D, A and B: "Prove it!"
C: "...Damn..."

C returns, with a few scratches, holding a dragon's head and a necklace made of skulls. "Good thing I had the Dragon Lance!"

As for the items each weapon is not specifically meant to be 'protection' against a monster, but is used to kill them easily, or finish them off. Without the item, the adventurer does kill them, but takes damage in the battle.

You can beat the undead without the Holy Grail, but they get back up and keep fighting you until you beat them to ash, which is why you take damage. If you have it, you can splash them with liquid from it, destroying them instantly.

I believe the adventurer is equipped with other combat items to fight with, but not magically enhanced ones, represented by the tiles, (eg. a broadsword, instead of the Vorpal sword) if they are taken away.

As for changing the shield and armour to shurikens (or maybe throwing knives to keep with the theme) and bow with 5 arrows, in the end they will be mechanically the same, you either have to use them, or fail.
I mean, you draw the golem card, and you have to use all 5 of the arrows, just as if you lose 5 hearts.

I'm trying to show you another way to think about the game which brings out your desired theme, but if you believe the different items will be more thematic, try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the drunken bragging in a bar makes sense, but I still want to go in there and kill everything and come out loaded with treasure, not simply squeak out with my head still attached to my neck.

Anyway, if you fancy seeing what I have in mind, here are some alternative cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dezza wrote:
For a theme, I like the idea that it's 4 adventurers sitting in a tavern, each trying to one up the other.

A: "I can go into that dungeon without the Holy Grail."
B: "Oh yeah, I can do it without the shield."
C: "Well I think I can do it without the armour."
D, A and B: "Prove it!"
C: "...Damn..."

C returns, with a few scratches, holding a dragon's head and a necklace made of skulls. "Good thing I had the Dragon Lance!"

As for the items each weapon is not specifically meant to be 'protection' against a monster, but is used to kill them easily, or finish them off. Without the item, the adventurer does kill them, but takes damage in the battle.

You can beat the undead without the Holy Grail, but they get back up and keep fighting you until you beat them to ash, which is why you take damage. If you have it, you can splash them with liquid from it, destroying them instantly.

I believe the adventurer is equipped with other combat items to fight with, but not magically enhanced ones, represented by the tiles, (eg. a broadsword, instead of the Vorpal sword) if they are taken away.

Yes, this is exactly how I picture it.

From the bravo in the tavern beforehand to the killing all the monsters you face (or sneaking past if you're the cloaked rogue) but sometimes taking damage doing so if you don't have the right stuff to beat them easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.