1 Posts

RoboRally» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Never work with Children, Animals and 'Twonky' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Rourke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Children are sometimes unpredictable, confusing but usually loving and kind. Animals are often unpredictable, confused but respond to kindness. Robots are always unpredictable, confused and never loving and kind. At least not in this great game for 2-8 people, Roborally.

The game is set amongst a huge array of spinning cogs, moving conveyors, laser beams and deep, dark pits. Your poor robot is challenged with the job of travelling through the factory as quickly as possible whilst interacting with the factory floor and of course the other competitors.

The games mechanics are quite clever and fit in well with the wonderful theme. You program you robot by choosing movement cards for 5 phases. These are then turned one at a time (Everyone plays card 1, then 2 etc.) This is where the chaos begins as robots are pushed offline by the programming of other robots, or even by mistakes in their programming. A condition widely known as directus mixemupos.

After the robot moves, the floor then moves any robots around following quite a simple set of rules (More complicated ones can be found on the internet, of course) This can be used by experienced roboteers to move their robots towards the luminous green target flags. These must be tagged in order to complete the game.

I play this game regularly with my 2 children (Aged 7 & 10) and we all enjoy it greatly, however I have some small bits of advice to help you with your enjoyment of the game.

1) Never drink and operate machinery. This game is confusing while sober, alcohol could make it a very long night
2) Always choose tight small courses when your playing with a few people as interaction makes this game far better
3) Write L and R on the back of your hands in marker pen to help when the going gets really tough.
4) If playing with 2, take 2 robots each. Twonky and Twitch are my favourite double act

Following these points will help you to enjoy this game, however the best part of the game is always when you drive yourself into the pit unaided. This doesn't seem funny now, but when you do it in the game you will find yourself laughing out loud. How often do you find yourself laughing when you play Caylus
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.