Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Giants and Spades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Saribekov
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Greetings!

Question of today is:

Giants require 2 Spades to terraform anything, even lands that normaly only 1 spade apart. therefore:

Let suppose that at end of previous round I choose the tile that gives 1 Free Spade. then during the this round I choosing 1 Spade action from the board (4 power), combining them together with the 1 free spade I already have, and then transforming.
Is this legal?

If not, then this means Giants cannot use any 1x spades bonuses by themselves at all.

Also, if I got say some free Spades from somewhere (not as Giants), do I have to use them right away, or can I save them for later? If I got say 2 free spades, can I use 1 spade this turn, then use 2nd one some time later?

Thank You!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chaosslayer wrote:
Greetings!

Question of today is:

Giants require 2 Spades to terraform anything, even lands that normaly only 1 spade apart. therefore:

Let suppose that at end of previous round I choose the tile that gives 1 Free Spade. then during the this round I choosing 1 Spade action from the board (4 power), combining them together with the 1 free spade I already have, and then transforming.
Is this legal?


Not legal. The bonus tile provides an action. The power action provides an action. As you cannot do two actions on the same turn, you cannot combine them in some way.


Quote:

If not, then this means Giants cannot use any 1x spades bonuses by themselves at all.


They can spend workers (3 at start, fewer if they advance their digging tech) along with the bonus tile to do a dig. But if you mean use the bonus without any expenditure of workers, well, no they cannot.

And if it's the end-of-round cult bonus, they cannot spend workers to get the second shovel as there is no provision for spending workers as part of earning a cult bonus.

Quote:
Also, if I got say some free Spades from somewhere (not as Giants), do I have to use them right away, or can I save them for later? If I got say 2 free spades, can I use 1 spade this turn, then use 2nd one some time later?


Right away. Spades are not a currency and cannot be saved in any situation.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also see:
Re: Another Priest Placing Question & a Giant question
Difference Between Giants' and Nomads' Stronghold Abilities
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But if the bonus tile is an action (which you have stated) and a dig is an action-then by the same logic you cannot combine a bonus tile with a (3/2/1 worker(s)) dig either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/Terra_Mystica.pdf

Page 10

"Spades may only be applied to a single Terrain space. However, there are two special cases:

1) If the Spades gained via a Power action or Bonus card do not suffice to transform a Terrain space into your Home terrain you may exchange workers for the missing Spades (at the current Exchange rate of your Exchange track)."

Right there in the rules.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
But if the bonus tile is an action (which you have stated) and a dig is an action-then by the same logic you cannot combine a bonus tile with a (3/2/1 worker(s)) dig either.


"Dig" is not an action, that is the misunderstanding you have. Digging is just something you can do as part of a "Terraform and Build" action. The bonus tile and power actions with spades allow you to take a T&B action and use one (or two) free spades. You can purchase more spades with workers, per the rules quoted by Rhett.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaosslayer wrote:
Greetings!

Question of today is:

Giants require 2 Spades to terraform anything, even lands that normaly only 1 spade apart. therefore:

Let suppose that at end of previous round I choose the tile that gives 1 Free Spade. then during the this round I choosing 1 Spade action from the board (4 power), combining them together with the 1 free spade I already have, and then transforming.
Is this legal?
It's worth noting that it's not only illegal for Giants, but for every other race as well. Power/bonus/SH actions of similar effect cannot be combined with each other by any race.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
msg tools
Prodigaldax wrote:
http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/Terra_Mystica.pdf

Page 10

"Spades may only be applied to a single Terrain space. However, there are two special cases:

1) If the Spades gained via a Power action or Bonus card do not suffice to transform a Terrain space into your Home terrain you may exchange workers for the missing Spades (at the current Exchange rate of your Exchange track)."

Right there in the rules.


To add to this, page 15 of rules (top right corner), they lay out the situation of a Giant gaining 1 spade from the end of round cult bonus. The single spade is forfeit because they must use 2.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.