Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be a concensus that after the first player charges in the opening turn he has the advantage and is likely to win.

If this is indeed true it seems like a very simple thing to fix, give player 2 more build points or player 1 less. Even bidding for first player would work.

How many points do you guys think would offset the advantage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Nuttleman
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played enough times to speak to balancing, but the first charge does seem like an advantage. My train of thought ran more toward making melee combat simultaneous (both sides roll and deal damage to each other.) That might cause some balance issues in the other direction though since the troops' wounds/defensive special abilities are defined with the rules as written in mind.

Some sort of simultaneous damaging in battle would allow the first player to still have some advantage by choosing where to initiate a charge, but would prevent overkilling a defending unit and taking them out of the game without a chance to act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was common practice to have a screen of cheap units to intercept charges?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Nuttleman
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my other thought. I only have played this system once and that was with the pre-set army lists in the Orcs/Elves set. Building an army with an appropriate mix of charge-catchers, bruisers, ranged, and command/special units seems to be a source of depth in these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Sitnam"]There seems to be a concensus that after the first player charges in the opening turn he has the advantage and is likely to win./q]

I would like to formally remove myself from any said consensus!

Now, on the other hand, going back to back to start round two? That can be decisive for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
I thought it was common practice to have a screen of cheap units to intercept charges?

That's certainly my policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that the first-player advantage goes away strongly when you play with more points. 60-point games are very swingy and there's a strong potential first-player advantage. As you add more points, it's harder for the first player to get a massive first-attack advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.