Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
... Until you sleeve the cards. Is there any way to modify the insert to let the sleeved cards fit? I don't really want to throw it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Lea
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't examined the Splendor insert in-depth yet (as I have yet to sleeve these cards), but I had a similar problem with my Libertalia insert: great for the unsleeved cards, not so much the sleeved.

I "modified" it by taking an exacto knife and cutting away the edges and bottom to permit the sleeved cards to fit.

I imagine a similar thing could be done for the splendor insert. Even if the entire card area had to be cut away and replaced by something more custom and sleeved-card-friendly, the rest of the insert would still be viable for the chips and lords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaworu17 wrote:
... Until you sleeve the cards. Is there any way to modify the insert to let the sleeved cards fit? I don't really want to throw it away.

Sleeved cards fit quite well without any modification actually. Rather than put the cards in the slots, put them in the other direction.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's what I mean:

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robot romeo
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my insert:

After some trimming, it holds sleeved cards perfectly:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this game really need to be sleeved?

I just got this game today and asked myself this question. I tend to be a sleeve kind of guy but the edges of the cards are white and the insert doesn't seem to work for sleeves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
Does this game really need to be sleeved?

I just got this game today and asked myself this question. I tend to be a sleeve kind of guy but the edges of the cards are white and the insert doesn't seem to work for sleeves...

Nah, it doesn't need to be sleeved but arguably that's true with most games. I just decided to do it as I like the feel of the chips and thought that sleeved cards would be a good tactile combo.

It does work fine with the insert. You just don't use the slots and place the cards in the long way of the box instead. I included a picture above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robot romeo
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya I agree. They are good quality cards that will hold up on their own, but this game is so quick and the cards get shuffled so much that I sleeved mine. I'm glad I did. After 40 games the sleeves are starting to show slight wear. Better the $5 ultrapro deck protectors than the $40 game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazingly simple idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The insert is great until you turn the game sideways, then chips just fall all over the place.

I just sleeve the cards, magic tape them together, and place everything in a baseball card holder. Fits great and is easy to transport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved mine. I put half of the cards in the original slot (oriented the other way like above) and the rest of them underneath the insert in a plastic baggie. The second half of the cards fits great underneath if you set them towards the top of the box. My didn't all fit oriented the other way as shown above. Maybe this is because I use premium sleeves? I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put a flat wide ribbon that had originally bound together some components in another game in the cavity and then just put the sleeved cards in flat on top of that so that the ribbon ends come out from both ends of the cards. Then I just lift the cards out by pulling up on one end of the ribbon.

I also like the idea of putting the cards in sideways as pictured above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's odd - mine don't fit in either orientation- I've got Fantasy Flight sleeves on these. What did you use?

Yeah, it probably doesn't need to be sleeved, but at the same time I noticed some wear on them. Not the greatest card stock, not the worst? Force of habit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaworu17 wrote:
That's odd - mine don't fit in either orientation- I've got Fantasy Flight sleeves on these. What did you use?

Yeah, it probably doesn't need to be sleeved, but at the same time I noticed some wear on them. Not the greatest card stock, not the worst? Force of habit.

I use mayday games premium sleeves. The thickness is roughly the same with fantasy flight sleeves. I'm guessing the ones that all fit are thinner sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaworu17 wrote:

I believe I used Mayday, but possibly Ultra Pro. I'll double check when I get home.

I know that I didn't use Fantasy Flight sleeves as they are longer. Length is the main thing to be concerned about if you want to fit them in the turned orientation as mine fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards hold up, really? I dislike sleeving cards and have only done it for Ghost Stories (really flimsy cards) and LotR LCG (to proxy cards, not protect them) of the dozens of games I own, but I do it for Splendor.

While the Splendor cards are indeed quite thick and nice, several were damaged after my very first riffle shuffle. Specifically the top and bottom edge were dented. I ended up using penny sleeves on them so I can do the "side shuffle" instead to prevent more damage.

Anyway, I just jam mine in flat (the cheap penny sleeves squish just fine) but I'll try sideways now since that seems better/easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dickinson
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As above, the cards state to show wear really quickly. Yes, they most definitely need sleeving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm, you can sleeve these with Mayday Card Game sleeves and they fit back into the original well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
dshortdesign wrote:
I can confirm, you can sleeve these with Mayday Card Game sleeves and they fit back into the original well.

Great for you, David!

I can confirm, however, that you can sleeve these with Mayday sleeves (regular *or* extra thick) and they will *NOT* fit back into the original well. Maybe our 'wells' are somehow of different size, dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
dshortdesign wrote:

Great for you, David!

I can confirm, however, that you can sleeve these with Mayday sleeves (regular *or* extra thick) and they will *NOT* fit back into the original well. Maybe our 'wells' are somehow of different size, dunno.

It's well documented that Mayday tends to have loose tolerances. I suggest you try another pack of sleeves. Trust me, I used Mayday and they worked.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
dshortdesign wrote:
I used Mayday and they worked.

They stick out the top slightly, and will have bent corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
dshortdesign wrote:
I used Mayday and they worked.

They stick out the top slightly, and will have bent corners.

Yeah, I had that issue too, BUT they do work perfectly if you turn them in the box length orientation like in my picture above. And by perfectly, I mean no insert cutting, no issues at all.

Here's that pic again:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
wgerken wrote:
.... no issues at all.

The corners of the cards in your picture are bent.

It looks like they stick out over the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
wgerken wrote:
.... no issues at all.

The corners of the cards in your picture are bent.

It looks like they stick out over the top.

I can't quite tell if you're playing devil's advocate or just joking... but I can assure you, my cards don't stick out of the Mayday sleeves, my corners are not bent, and my insert is still intact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Massey
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried sleeving with "KMC's Perfect Size" sleeves which are the inner sleeves if you ever double sleeve a standard sized card. (I don't.) They are a lot thinner and closer to the size of the card than the FFG gray sleeves I usually like and use.

They fit in the insert, but the bottom of the insert tapers in and is just barely too small and the corners of the sleeves stick a bit. It sticks enough so that it will hold one card up without the card touching anything besides the ends. Not sure what I want to do yet. Can't these companies design their inserts for people who sleeve as well? I few millimeters wider the other way and it would work. There is so much wasted space in that box. shake

I also tried putting the sleeved cards in a deck box but the deck box won't fit in the game box with the current insert. I tried underneath as well. I have been buying "Broken Token" game organizers which work great, but it's just annoying to have to pay an additional $20+ for an insert that works for sleeved cards when the original insert should have been designed better from the beginning. There isn't one available yet for Splendor or I would consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
dshortdesign wrote:
I can't quite tell if you're playing devil's advocate or just joking... but I can assure you, my cards don't stick out of the Mayday sleeves, my corners are not bent, and my insert is still intact

Why would you think I am joking?

I can see in the picture that wgerken linked that the card sleeve corners are in fact bent because of the curve at the bottom of the insert. Just like with my cards, the corners are bent when put in the insert as shown in the picture. The card sleeves I used are as snug as can be, with no extra space, so it is not because they are too large for the cards. The corners get bent, and the edge of the cards stick up over the top of the insert. This is the reason that Kaworu17 originally made this thread and I back him completely.

I don't know what you mean about 'cards sticking out of the Mayday sleeves', no one said anything about that.

GrantAZ here also reports a similar problem to the problem I report. I'm not playing, not being 'devil's advocate' here.

My experience is that the Splendor box insert does not work well with sleeved cards. This is no joke, and no one is playing around with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.