Ottoman - Mateen
Hapsburg - Martin
French - Mohit
Protestant - Machiavellian

Things to do before the game starts:
- Decide if we're using ACTS
- Find a 6th player

How to prepare for the game:
- Download this overview to the rules, the complete rules, the scenario book, the reference card, the game sequence table, the card manifest, the debater play aid and the frequently misplayed rules.
- Don't panic and just start by reading the overview, it will give you the bases of the rules.
- Download Vassal and the HiS Module
-If you already have Vassal, check that you have version 3.2.7 or higher. If not you'll need to update it.
- Install Vassal, and if you are not familiar with it, take the tour. It will only take a few minutes and will show you how Vassal works.
Then you'll be able to open the HiS module and checking how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys, our main problem is that we are still missing a player. It would have been nice to have someone from the 2R1B PBF. If we can't I guess we could invite someone one of you knows to join us. And at worst, we can always ask openly in the HiS BGG forums...

Any ideas ?

About which software to use. Since some of us are familiar with it, and since it has more functionalities than his main competitor, cyberboard, I think we should use Vassal.
His only drawback is that there is no coherence check when uploading a log. Which means it doesn't check the log we are trying to load starts where the last one ended, so if we load the wrong log it could lead to errors. We'll have to be careful about that.

Last point is ACTS. This is a software which is recommended by a lot of people, and that enable to manage centrally the cards and the dice rolling, and to have a journal of the game.
It isn't mandatory as cards and dice can be managed through Vassal, but it prevents cheating, and enables us to have a place where everyone can check the status of the game, without having to connect to Vassal.
But of course it means we would need to use two programs for our game instead of just one.

(I got most of the information on VASSAL vs Cyberboard vs ACTS from this thread.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohit Goel
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote goes for Vassal + ACTS + dropbox

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much experience here so I'll let you guys decide the tool to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:

His only drawback is that there is no coherence check when uploading a log. Which means it doesn't check the log we are trying to load starts where the last one ended, so if we load the wrong log it could lead to errors. We'll have to be careful about that.

Not playing, but I just spotted this comment. That's actually a big deal. You find consistency problems all the time and VASSAL just ignores them. The smoothest experience I've had is Cyberboard + ACTS.

But it's up to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
I am where I need to be when I need to be.
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb
I will need to sit down with the rule book and a cup of tea sometime in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use centralized storage, strictly adhere to a naming/numbering scheme, and make sure all players to know to load only the single most recent logfile for playback prior to making their own logfile. Do those things and it works just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, should we assign the factions right now, or wait for our last player first ? Because it would certainly help those of us who need to learn the rules to know who they are going to play.

Also should we attribute the factions randomly, draft them, talk about who would like what ? What do you think ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to be your 6th.
I think I have played PBF resistance with at least slinkydink, natsume and Machiavellian.
I am reasonably experienced with HIS.

I strongly recommend ACTS, with dropbox for the game files.
Either Cyberboard or Vassal for the actual game map, etc work OK in my experience:
- Vassal looks nicer and does more game management for you
- Cyberboard has a check to make sure that files progress cleanly.

As for countries - I am happy to take whatever comes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy. I really need to step my game up here. You guys sound like you're all experts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, could everyone answer these questions :

1) Are you ok with Martin being our 6th ?
2) Are you ok with us using Vassal + ACTS for our game ?
3) What is your experience with HiS ?
4) What is your experience with Vassal ?
5) Do you have a preference with a specific faction ? Or are you ok with random selection ?

I'll answer first.

1) I'd say Resistance is good enough, so if Natsume, Machiavellian and Slinkydink approve of him, I have no objection.
2) It seems like the best option. I don't really worry about cheaters, but ACTS will enable us to have a record of our game outside of Vassal (which for some of us might not be accessible at work)
3) I own the game and played 2/3 of a game a few years ago. I loved it, but the game length was unfortunately an issue.
4) None in a real game, but I started experimenting with it since proposing this game, and it doesn't seem too hard to use.
5) No preference for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No, not really, he's a tricky bastard, but who knows how long it will take to find a 6th we can pick on more easily
2) Fine with ACTS + Vassal
3) Played 1 game in RL (almost finished, ... England was going to win)
Currently playing about 6 games via PBEM
4) Only through HIS so far
5) Happy however it comes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohit Goel
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Are you ok with Martin being our 6th ?
Sure.

2) Are you ok with us using Vassal + ACTS for our game ?
Yes

3) What is your experience with HiS ?
None

4) What is your experience with Vassal ?
Played quite a few games through Vassal - live as well as PBEM (Eclipse, Mage Knight, Space Empires, Andean Abyss, A Distant Plain, Rommel in the Desert - anyone interested in playing other games too through Vassal, gm me )

5) Do you have a preference with a specific faction ? Or are you ok with random selection ?
Random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
1) of course!
2) of course!
3) none
4) none
5) none
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
I am where I need to be when I need to be.
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Are you ok with Martin being our 6th ? -- Sure.
2) Are you ok with us using Vassal + ACTS for our game ? -- Yes.
3) What is your experience with HiS ? -- None. I've read reviews and I've wanted to play it for some time now, but I haven't even read the rule book yet.
4) What is your experience with Vassal ? -- I've used it to play Hannibal: Carthage vs Rome a fair amount and occasionally for ASL, Unlucky King Charles, and Twilight Struggle.
5) Do you have a preference with a specific faction ? Or are you ok with random selection ? -- It doesn't matter to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
You know I love the players and you love the game
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I'm afraid I wont be able to play. It seems I have other real life commitments coming up soon that I need to take care of and from my understanding this is a very intense/time consuming game.

Good luck everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Natsume wrote:
Hello all!

I'm afraid I wont be able to play. It seems I have other real life commitments coming up soon that I need to take care of and from my understanding this is a very intense/time consuming game.

Good luck everyone

For those who have played is it actually intense/time consuming?
Or is it just that it takes a long time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
Natsume wrote:
Hello all!

Good luck everyone

For those who have played is it actually intense/time consuming?
Or is it just that it takes a long time?

Well, Martin would be the best to answer that since he is the only one among us who alreadu played HiS in PBEM form.

But from my experience (one play in realtime) I don't think so. It would probably take some time at first to learn the rules, but none of them are really complex (even if they are a lot of them).
And we could certainly take the time to play at a rythm which is confortable for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it play that each player does their turn before moving on to the next player?

So something like you play your turn every couple days (half an hour or so) and the whole game takes 3 or 4 months? I don't see it being an issue, but I'd just like to know what kind of commitment we're all getting ourselves into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main part of HIS game is the Action Phase. During this each player in order has a turn (called an impulse).
This consists of playing one card and either:
a) doing the event for that card
b) using the command points associated with that card to do regular actions (move , build units, etc)

Then the next player has their impulse.

There are a few cards (response cards) which allow you to play them during another player's turn (e.g. Foul Weather event prevents ship movement and slows land movememnt).

Combat may also involve each side playing cards (Combat cards).

Most of the game is therefore fairly sequential, changing mainly when there are battles.

There is also a Diplomacy Phase, involving many discussions (except on T1, when is it very limited)

I would say it has much less load than a resistance game for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More or less.

During Spring Deployment phase it will be like that.

During Diplomacy phase, there will be some time (probably 48h) of free talk by mail, for people to decide if they agree on some deals.

During Action phase, it will be mostly like that but sometimes the action of one player may necessitate another player to intervene.
For instance, he is attacked, he'll need to say if tries to intercept or avoid the attack, if he has a card he wants to play, then roll some dice and maybe retreat. There will be some back and forth...

And there are a few response card which can be played during other people turns, so if someone has such a card and wants to use it, they'll need to follow the game and tell when they want to do it.

EDIT: In other words, what Martin said (and better than me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arslanian
United States
Beverly
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you guys need another player, I'll play. I haven't played the game and I have no preference on which side, nor the technology used. Just want to play.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we seem to still be missing a 6th player. Does anybody have an idea about someone you know we could ask to join ?

If nobody does, and if nobody has an objection, I guess we could accept John, who seems to be motivated to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohit Goel
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When are we starting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
20 minutes later and I don't really feel any closer to knowing how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.