Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Arnold
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all.

I have a question...I've just started a game of GWiE only (no NE, we don't have room for 3 maps...!) and was wondering why, when the size of the event chit pool is reduced by around 42% without the GWiNE events, the draw is reduced by a full 50% (2 events every strategy phase reduced to 1 event every strategy phase)?

How does that make sense?

Wouldn't it be wiser to, for instance, draw 2 events every fourth strategy phase? So...draw 1-1-1-2-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-2...etc.?

Wouldn't that balance things out a little more? Otherwise the chances of, say, Bulgaria coming in on the CP side or Italy entering the war or the Germans receiving shock troops is reduced. These are European events whose likelihood is reduced solely because we're playing without the NE portion of the game. That just sounds very unreasonable to me.

Any thoughts? Sure, this may be nitpicking, but those 3-4 extra events could be quite influential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Elkins
United States
Richlands
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, if all players agree to the staggered event draw, then knock yourself out. But bear in mind that the European game was played for a couple of years before the Near East was added. The rules for Europe-alone work. In fact, when the NE was first added, one of the big question marks was whether two events per turn might prove excessive. Ultimately, the game is about what happens on the map; the events merely provide variable conditions, they're not the core of the game.

Yes, "3-4 extra events could be quite influential". Why are you convinced that's a good thing? The CP player, for example, should be in no hurry for the Italian Entry event to be played. The AP player doesn't want Bulgarian Entry ASAP. And both of these events affect game play even before they go into effect.

How about this? Try playing the game the way you suggest. Then try playing it by the book. Post the results, and explain which method you prefer and why. I, for one, would be curious to see the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.