BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: When homemade game stuff is better than the original rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does it annoy you too? I mean, of course game makers couldn't foresee everything, but when 90% of games are played with user-mods, somethings amiss. I mean, for example, most Arkham Horror monster tokens from expansions get felt-tip pen markings on their edges to distinguish them since otherwise it's impossible to tell which one belongs where. Adequate packing for a game is also an issue. I always thought that you shouldn't have to make/buy your own storing boxes for bits, minis, cards and tokens. Also, self-made reference cards - why the designer didn't do it or didn't do it right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always assumed it's a cost issue. At some point they have to stop adding things before said additions drive the cost of the game too high. Sure a simple reference card is not a big deal in itself, but these things do add up.

There's also the issue that not everyone does this; it may seem like a lot to you from anecdotal evidence or even the amount of people on BGG that do so, but overall I suspect most games are played as-is. And the ones that do mod are not all using the same mod, so there's that to consider as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
By 90% I meant not the percentage of all existing games, but more like 90% of copies of a particular game are played like that. Of course, most games are played out-of-the-box, but some 'offenders' are almost always modded. FFG is notorious for lack of storage compartments in their boxes, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
Game designers figured out that in order to make money they just had to make useless inserts and use the savings to buy stock* in Plano Molding.

*Plano Molding does not appear to be publicly traded, but I still think this is a solid strategy,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
most Arkham Horror monster tokens from expansions get felt-tip pen markings on their edges to distinguish them since otherwise it's impossible to tell which one belongs where

I have never drawn on any of the game components (with the exception of Saint Malo ) so I don't really understand what you mean. Each arkham horror expansion has its own symbol to help you distinguish between expansions.

Quote:
I always thought that you shouldn't have to make/buy your own storing boxes for bits, minis, cards and tokens.

Not everybody stores their games the same way and I for one would have no use for storage boxes for bits, chits and minis etc and so would just chuck 'em out.
That said I do sleeve cards that are regularly handled but I find the majority of boxes especially FFG boxes are large enough to accommodate sleeved cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't pimiping your game part of the fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So? It could be an option, instead of necessity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reason 1: cost. Adding plano boxes, sleeves, plastic baggies and high-quality inserts would, sadly, drive the costs through the roof.
Reason 2: there is no one storage system that everyone enjoys, so someone would still trash whatever the publisher put in there and make something of their own.

About those felt-tip markings on AH monsters, I've no idea what you're even talking about. How are you sorting your monsters? (and why are you sorting them at all?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iori_Yagami wrote:
So? It could be an option, instead of necessity.

It IS an option and there really is NO necessity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iori_Yagami wrote:
By 90% I meant not the percentage of all existing games, but more like 90% of copies of a particular game are played like that. Of course, most games are played out-of-the-box, but some 'offenders' are almost always modded. FFG is notorious for lack of storage compartments in their boxes, for example.

I doubt there is a regular game that even 90% of BGG users modify because it is inadequate, let alone in the rest of the world. The only thing that comes close would be those that have lots of expansions that don't fit in the main box. There might be a solid core of ten or so people on the specific game forum who modify their game in the same way, but they are still in a tiny minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
exparrot wrote:
Each arkham horror expansion has its own symbol to help you distinguish between expansions.

Monster tokens do not have the expansion indicator on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
And I thought we came here to discuss my fantastic player marker replacements for Relic in which I've replaced high quality, finely detailed miniature busts with...

No one understand me. And all I've loved, I've loved alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.