United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if there exists anything like this: a game where you conquer or otherwise control spaces on a map, and those spaces then become the very spaces you can use to place workers on in a worker-placement fashion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a space on a map, but the bidding mechanic in Vanuatu is the closest thing I know of that meets your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Portland (Wilsonville)
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Golden... As in Oldie
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower uses something similar although you "conquer" the tile by bidding on it and it can't be taken over after it's been purchased. All players can then use that worker placement space however the owner of the tile keeps the workers at the end of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Portland (Wilsonville)
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Golden... As in Oldie
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiraqocha is another game that might be sort of what you are looking for. In this game you conquer hexes on the map placing workers on the space and then taking the resources provided by the space. It's all one action though as you use dice as workers and conquering the tile automatically places a worker there. I got the impression you were looking for something where the area control aspect was separate from the worker placement phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers has something close to this, except the area you control gives a bonus to the action associated to it instead of being a new place to place your ships (which are your dice/workers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if there exists anything like this: a game where you conquer or otherwise control spaces on a map, and those spaces then become the very spaces you can use to place workers on in a worker-placement fashion?

Copper Country kind of has that mechanic. The KS just ended yesterday though, so you may have to wait to pick it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
March of the Ants is available for preorder now, and it includes both area control and worker placement, as well as tile laying. When you lay a new tile, you can claim one of the resource gathering points on the tile. Later, you or opponents can move more workers to the tile, and if there are more workers than there are resource gathering points, the tile becomes contested and a battle happens. This is a very nice mix of worker placement snd area control, and the game is very fun (I playtested it at Kubla Con).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Dominant Species?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is conquering going on, but I believe Belfort has both area control and worker placement mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Homesteaders, buildings are auctioned and once you get it, only you can use it. Some buildings are automatically activated though you can usually get something cheaper but it requires one of your workers to activate.

Actually fighting over a space that you can then put a worker on to work it, but it can still be nabbed away from you....... Polis: Fight for the Hegemony comes closest, I think. You have to have at least one Polis (City) in a given territory and only then can you collect resources from that territory. However, the more hoplites you have in the territory, the more you can collect. The territory is then exhausted in that respect until the next round (and there are only 4 rounds!). Collecting resources is kinda worker placement-y.

That's actually a really cool mechanic that you've thought of, though I could see it leading to a runaway leader in games (especially 2p).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Belfort. You use worker placement to gather resources to help you build locations on the board, and when you build you also play that location's card in front of you, which often (but not always) has on it another place you can send your workers.

Also, one of the "interactive" Guilds where you can send your workers lets you move around player pieces on the board, which adds a bit of pushing and shoving in the fight for area control of the 5 sections of the board. The Guilds are randomly selected in each game, though, so you might not always have it available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it personally but it sounds like maybe Mecanisburgo would fit the bill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Build, then place is pretty common. (e.g. Caylus, Ora et Labora).

Worker placement & area control, but not conquer to get places to control also happens. (e.g. Dominant Species, Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery )

But, I can't think of one where an area-of-control/conquest gains you places to put workers in a worker-placement type game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:

Worker placement & area control, but not conquer to get places to control also happens. (e.g. Dominant Species, Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery )

But, I can't think of one where an area-of-control/conquest gains you places to put workers in a worker-placement type game.

+1 Age of Empires. Not only does this do both, it does them very, very well (and a good mix of other fun game mechanics as well). And definitely get the expansion, for the worker and the 6th player, if nothing else (there are a couple other things it adds that some players are less enthusiastic about, but it's worth it for those two things, IMO).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wylann wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

+1 Age of Empires. Not only does this do both, it does them very, very well (and a good mix of other fun game mechanics as well). And definitely get the expansion, for the worker and the 6th player, if nothing else (there are a couple other things it adds that some players are less enthusiastic about, but it's worth it for those two things, IMO).

But I'm specifically talking about the areas you conquer/control *becoming* the W-P spaces, with control of those spaces possibly passing back and forth between the players (presumably with some kind of penalty if you do not use your own spaces, or something). AoE does not do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you lose a battle in MotA, you cede control of the points-generating worker site, and also have your ants destroyed, allowing your oppoent to claim the previously-occupied worker placement sites to gather other resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Wylann wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

But I'm specifically talking about the areas you conquer/control *becoming* the W-P spaces, with control of those spaces possibly passing back and forth between the players (presumably with some kind of penalty if you do not use your own spaces, or something). AoE does not do this.

Not sure if this is within your idea, or a twist on it, or whether it's been done - a Worker Placement/Area Majority combo:

Place workers onto board areas to do actions. Placement could be totally open (non-exclusive), or could be limited (eg only so many workers could go onto an area each turn, etc). Each board space has an action for you when you place a worker there, but workers stay in place unless moved (no periodic clearing of the board). Player with the area majority on any worker placement space gets a bonus (either periodically, or every time the space is used, or when they use the space). Bonuses could be area-specific, or changeable. I'm imagining this to have a lot in common with El Grande, but the action selection comes from the board and is more directly tied to placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Peoble
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to BelfortIt is pretty close to what you are asking for.

You use workers to take actions that mainly gain you resources. These are then used to build buildings, which are placed on the main board to gain influence of a sector in a pure-area control fashion. Who ever controls the sector gets to score it during the scoring rounds. Also, when you build buildings, these give you extra actions on which you, and only you, can place your buildings.

It is a fun game with fantastic art. I highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barbarick
United States
Ashland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite what you are looking for but Kemet comes to mind, worker placement and area control. Not really places on the board becoming spots to send workers but the objective spots do give you more resources to be able to do better actions.

Another that is more worker placement in nature is The Manhattan Project you use money to build buildings that you control, but other players can use spies to use your buildings or attack your buildings with their bombers. Not exactly area control, but is one of the closest that comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jake
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Carson City do this almost exactly, more or less? I would check that one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some of this mechanic in Royal Palace, from the designer of Carson City, btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.