Zombie Rally» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Zombie Rally - First Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
Zombie Rally - Out of the Wrapper, First Impressions

The adage "you get what you pay for" holds true for Zombie Rally. The game comes packaged in a small (4" x 6") zip lock bag and contains a deck of 54 cards, a rules sheet and a title card displaying the name of the game on the front and design credits on the back. The retail price is $5.95. The game is also available as a "Print-It-Yourself" PDF download from the Snarling Badger web site for $2.00. The theme (a zombie footrace) is silly but bizarre enough to have invoked by interest. For six bucks I feel the game is worth taking a chance. It should be good for a laugh or two.

The rules sheet is printed in a small, difficult to read (for my old eyes, at least!) font. I found it easier to purchase the PDF file so I could read the rules on my computer after increasing the display size of the document.

The quality of the cards is the first thing I noticed. These are not good quality playing cards. The cards appear to be printed on simple card stock (typical of a do-it-yourself game) and feel thin and a little flimsy. The cards will not stand up to repeated play well. Card sleeves will be needed, I think, to protect the cards from damage during shuffling and play. The cards are printed in two colors, black on green card stock. The printing is good; the font size is comfortably readable and the printing quality is fine. The card graphics are appropriately cute.

After a quick read of the rules (have I mentioned the small font size?), I see that in addition to the cards, some way of tracking the "state" of each Zombie will be required. How many arms and legs each zombie has remaining and how many steps in the race each zombie has completed must be recorded. The rules suggest using paper and pencil. Okay, Zombie Rally is basically a home made game, and keeping the price low was clearly an objective, but having to track the status on each zombie with pencil and paper is a problem for me. Couldn't the designers have come up with some kind of status sheet for the Zombies? Even making something available online as a download would be better than the paper and pencil method. What the game needs is a Zombie status sheet and some counters or other way to track how many steps each Zombie has taken. I see a definite need for a player aid here.

Game play is simple and consists of playing a card (or cards in the case of a combo) and either "moving" (adding steps to the movement total) the player's Zombie or attacking another player's zombie in an attempt to slow them down (usually by removing limbs). There are cards for Movement, Offense, Movement and Offense, Defense, and Specials. Special cards represent special actions that a zombie may take or a hazard that may be played against another player's zombie (Add A Limb, or Lob-a-Skull, for example).

The game continues until the second to last zombie "crosses" the finish line (by having played enough movement cards to match the steps needed to complete the race).

My first impression of the game is that it is cheap. The theme is silly but bizarre enough to have invoked my interest and the price was low enough for me to say "What the heck, why not?" The game will be worth a laugh or two and after a couple of plays will likely be relegated to the back of the closet.

I rate the game a solid '5'. Nothing special. Take it or leave it.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
James dakroub
flag msg tools
I agree the games manufacturing is cheap but this can also be a good thing, forking out $12.00 for the game (i'm in Australia) i thought it was worth while fun and easy to play. I to thought keeping track of the players on a peice of paper was going to be a pain in the ass so i whipped out the bloodbowl field (from GW). A couple of zombies to represent players and away we went it was a blast.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.