Storm of Steel» Forums » Rules

Subject: British Production rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Sisler
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I remember reading somewhere that when British units are eliminated they are replaced with a lower cadre value unit. I have the counters for these from the expansion but cannot find that reference in the rules for the life of me. I would appreciate if someone could point out where it is in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that was a variant Bob Medrow suggested on his countersheet package. At least, I couln't find any reference.

There is also a campaign variant in the scenario book called "British Adopt Continental Military System" that adjusts British regular cadres to a value of '3', so those counters could be used for that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sisler
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Ok, maybe thats where I saw it. Thanks for the info Mike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike is correct on both accounts.

Although I think the original rules suggest to just use the British units as cadre 3, even when the counter says 4.

Cheers, Haring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm correct the replacement counters supplied in the update kit are only for those units that comprised the original BEF. I think that the intent is that once those units are destroyed for the first time they are permanently replaced by the lower cadre (3) counters to reflect the replenishment of the "Old Contemptible" divisions by lesser trained and poorer quality reinforcements and replacements.

This makes sense as the original BEF divisions were superior in almost all respects to any others in 1914 as they were comprised of all-volunteer regular army soldiers - unlike the continental formations which were based on the reserve and conscript approach. The old BEF had reservists in the ranks too, but these were men who had for the most part at least seven years active service and who had all originally volunteered. Britain did not use conscription until much later in the war.

The update kit also does the same thing for the Canadian and ANZAC active corps, replacing the orignal 4 cadre couters with 3s. This makes rather less sense to me as the quality of these troops actually improved over the war as the rest of the British army got overstretched and undermanned. In 1917 and 1918 it was the Dominion troops that broke the German lines first at Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele and then in the "Hundred Days" victories that compelled Hindenburg to tell the Kaiser that Germany was done. The Canadian Corps alone captured more men, guns, and territory during this period alone that the entire US Army did during its time in the war.

I therefore do replace the original BEF units with 3 cadre counters but I keep the Aussies and Canucks at 4 throughout the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.